Anime influences video games, or visa versa?

Koden

You all look like a group of avid gamers, I figure one of you would have an opinion on this.

I guess games in a way do take after anime, but that is probably because anime is so broad that it encompasses many different genres. In its roots I would say they both pull from literatures and past writings.

Zach

I think you need to be more specific about the influence you are refering to.

Art ? Story ? Action orientation ? Environment ?

MONKEY_NUTS

Originally posted by Koden@Dec 13 2004, 03:09 PM
You all look like a group of avid gamers, I figure one of you would have an opinion on this.

I guess games in a way do take after anime, but that is probably because anime is so broad that it encompasses many different genres. In its roots I would say they both pull from literatures and past writings.
Most of the big comercially sold games are made in japan, which are mostly aimed at the japanese market. If you look at EA, blizzard, lionhead and valve. There games are not made for the japanese market. Meaning no need to make your games look annoyingly homosexually looking.

TiredBoy

Both happen. You have series like Star Ocean EX, which was based on Star Ocean: the Second Story and Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken, which is based off Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior. But you also have stuff like StarCraft, which has Escaflowne cameos (*cough Allen Shezar or however you spell his name cough*). I mean, I'm sure all sorts of stuff is influenced by others. Why else would an anime series influence Blizzard? (No, I'm pretty sure "They're all anime geeks" doesn't count) But there really isn't any precedent as far as this goes.

So, to sum it up, plot: Probably both ways. Happens all the time, though.