VBA newest version help

dpcemulator

Hey, new here, because I have an urgent question

I downloaded the newest version of vba (the gba emulator) for pc, about 2 days ago, and started playing fire red. I am know at that point that I want to be able to trade.
I looked up a guide and it is a clear guide, and I followed all the steps. link: http://endlessparadigm.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1899

I encounter the following problems

-I have a .sav file, but it is not my saved game. My saved games are .sgm files, and if i try to change them they won't work. The special vba version in that guide works just fine, and everything goes as it should be, except for that I cannot load my save games in the special VBA because they aren't compatible.

Can someone tell me what to do, or maybe tell me how I can trade in an other way?

thnx

jojolox

im having the same problem but im using an older version of vba (i think beta) see my post above. i need help bad

wrlzz

my problem is similar. I played with smg saves. Until I tried saving with the menu and it says it's not possible: Save error, please exchange the backup memory.

What to do now? I've played a lot to restart the whole game :-/

chinabig

".sav" file is in-game save file. I don't know about the ".sgm" file but ".SGM" file is the file created when you press Ctrl+S and save. I hope those two are the same. My emulator work like this. But, rather than ".sav" file, my emulator save with ".sa1" or ".sa2" or ,etc. The version is link version 1.7.3. you can download it at here. Other are just as the guide said. The only thing different is you need to change the setting by yourself because it didn't provide with ".ini" files. Don't worry, even if you need to do it by yourself, it's simple.
-You need to unchecked that "Pause when inactive window"
-check "Synchronize" and "Automatic IPS patching" (I don't know it is related or not but it's checked in my emulator so i suggested it)
-In the Options/Link/Options, you must choose "Single Computer". "Network" is for multi-computer.
-You can change other settings if you like. E.g., Video size, sound on or off, filter.
-For those ".ini" files, you will see "vba1.ini" or "vba1" file as soon as you open the 1st window. After the above things are finished close the window and copy that file and paste it just right there. Rename it "vba2.ini" or "vba2".
-If you need two different control key, do as like the guide only after the above one is finished or else you will just get the same control keys in both windows.

Before doing what I'm going to say, I suggested you copy the save to somewhere safe so that if it won't work,you can have the original save file back.

You can change ".SGM" save file into ".sav" or ".sa1" or other but you won't be able to load the game with that. You need to load that ".SGM" file with pressing Ctrl+L key(this is default key) in new version and save in the game again. You will get ".sa1" file type. Copy that and paste it there. Change the name into the same with that ".sa1" file and file type must be ".sa2". This is exactly as what the guide said and keep doing the following. You should be able to trade if ".sgm" and ".SGM" are the same.

About that "Save error, please exchange the backup memory", I don't know how to keep playing that. You can load because you must load the game as above. If it's like that, you can't save in-game anymore now(just according to my experience) and even when you reset the game, you should find the message "The 1M sub-circuit board is not installed.". This happened when i started playing with this option "Options/Emulator/Save Type/Flash 64K" too. I can only play when I start the game again with "Options/Emulator/Save Type/Flash 128K". I need to clear all the other relative save files in that folder first though.

Or what is it the version you were using before? Can I get the link where to download that too? I will try finding something out.
Better if I can get the save file. Send it to my mail,chinabig.bigchina@gmail.com .
Oh, by the way, the newest versions listed on the homepage/gameboy advance/VBA, 1.8.0 beta3 can't trade and 1.8.0 beta0 can't link properly. I tried it once.

Last edited: