Emulator Problem: Trying to battle my own pokemon in fire red using VBA-Link, but getting communication

henk86

Dear all,

In Pokemon Fire Red, I've reached the elite four with no cheating and even after battling all trainers everywhere my pokemon are too weak to face the Elite Four. However, if I battle wild pokemon or use rematches those pokemon are so weak it will take too long to train my pokemon.

So now I'm trying to battle my own pokemon using VBA-Link, but I don't seem to be having much luck. I started up two instances, loading my sav file in both (sa1 and sa2). I disabled the option to stop emulation while inactive. When I start up the battle the instances 'see' each other and I get to the point where both walk into the room, but then I get a communication error. This happens even if I set a huge timeout.

Is this a problem with VBA-Link or is it simply impossible to battle your own pokemon? In the first case, what do I need to change or which alternative emulator does work? In the second case, is there a better way to train my pokemon for the elite four.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

henk86

Actually, turns out it is possible but VBA-Link just doesn't work properly. With No$gba this works just fine and I can battle my own Pokemon. Unfortunately however, it doesn't provide experience this way :(

chinabig

I just tested out as I never had such kind of idea before.
Yes, you can battle and yes, you won't get any exp after you defeated one but my VBA work smoothly.
The version is link version 1.7.3. Your settings are correct, too. I found someone posting the same error like that. Check that.