Project 64 v1.6 problems (n64 Emulator)

6string

I have an interesting problem with Project 64, and am at my wits end. Hopefully someone in here can help me out.

I can DL, install and play project 64 v1.6, no problems. I got it up and running and played Ocarina of Time for about two hours. Saved my game, shut down my pc, etc. The next day I re-boot my computer and it doesn't work. Neither did a few other programs, strangely enough. Specifically, I couldn't load Steam, nor the Steam version of Dragon's Age, OR get Company or Heroes to run. Another program I use called CPU-z wouldn't load either. That one delivered an error message that sad " The process cannot access the file becuase it is being used by another process".

I did a system restore and it fixed the problem as far being able to access my other programs. After some trial and error I have with 100% confidence narrowed the problem down. As long as I don't shut down my computer and allow it to re-boot, project 64 will stay running without affecting the other programs. However, as soon as I re-boot my PC AFTER installing project 64 AND playing Ocarina of Time for a bit, I can't shut my PC down without it affecting all those other programs.

This is simply past my level of expertise to wrap my head around, anyone else have ANY clue why this is happening?

Thanks in advance.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I think its a DLL access issue, can you try not installing PJ64 and just put all relevant files in a folder instead? That is to say not allow the installer to put anything in the syste32 folder ( manual install if you will).

6string

I've tried that with several different emulators. I've also tried compatibility mode as well. I'm running windows 7 64-bit. Nothing seems to work. Very frustrating. Any other thoughts?

6string

I will give that a try. But I have tried that before, and I got the same result. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help.

6string

I installed project 64 using the admin settings and am running the program in compatibility mode. When I try and boot up the program I get the following message:

"The default selected video plugin is invalid"

I get a similar massage for audio and controllers. I checked and they are all in the correct folder labeled "plug in". Also, when I go into settings in project 64, it's not giving me any option to select and all the menus are blank.

I'll dig a little more, but any thoughts?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Also, when I go into settings in project 64, it's not giving me any option to select and all the menus are blank.
This does mean it can not find the paths. I'm wondering? Did you install this to "program files x32" or what ever, I'd be sure to install it to "program files". I'm not sure that matters just a guess.

6string

Ulaoulao,

I solved the "default selected video plugin is invalid" problem. For some reason, by setting up a shortcut on my desktop project 64 was not recognizing the correct path. If I activated the program from the .exe file in the project 64 folder, it worked fine. UNFORTUNATELY, even after installing the program as an Admin in compatibility mode... it didn't work. The same problem occurs when I reboot my PC it affects other programs. I am going to give you the full process I have gone through to see if you think it could be something else.

1. Download project 64 and extract .exe file to the desktop
2. Install project 64 as admin under compatibility mode (windows XP service pack 3).
3. Install project 64 directly to C:\ (actual path is c:\project64
4. Run project64.exe as admin under compatibility mode (windows XP service pack 3)

Last night after doing all of this I installed OOT and booted it up. I let it run for a few seconds and shut down project 64 by 1st ending the emulation of OOT, and then shutting down project 64. Re-boot computer. I was excited at 1st because it did not affect my computer at first. So, I re-started project 64 (verifying that it was still starting in compatibility mode as admin) and played OOT for about ten minutes. Re-boot computer, and same problem came up, other programs don't work.

It appears as though if I don't play for longer than a few seconds the issue won't come up, but that certainly isn't viable.

Unless you can come up with something, or point me to another source (most online tech forums have policies against assisting with emulators), I'm pretty much going to give up. Which is a shame, I've always wanted to play OOT.

Any thoughts?

6string

I thought I would add my PC specs to see if that would help.

i3 2120 CPU
NVIDIA GeForce 560 (manufactured by ASUS)
8 GB Ram
Windows 7 64-bit

6string

Yes, the 1st time I ran the program I did it by just normally installing it using the supplied .exe file. Same problem.

Really bizarre. But I really don't know THAT much about PC's in the 1st place.

A friend of mine suggested setting up a virtual PC using VMware, or something like that. Perhaps that's not such a bad idea?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
LOL does he know what your running? Simply put VM ware wont be able to handle the hardware acceleration. It would be like remoting in to a computer and trying to play a game. I'd say more along the lines of a dual boot... but I'm sure there is an explanation here. I'm pretty sure its a windows7 thing and I'm not much of an expert on windows 7. Do to the fact no-one else has chimed in here, my best recommendation is to try another ( more active ) form. I hate to send you off packing like this but ATM, I'm out of ideas. If the issue was on my lap I would just keep experimenting like you where.

6string

Thanks anyways! Unfortunately, most tech forums have a policy against advising on emulators due to legal grey areas. I actually have been told that in two other forums.

stofer808

I tried downloading the Nintendo 64 emulator for my mac computer. Something dowloaded but it opened as a text edit page with a bunch of gibberish. Something else is obviously needed to run the program. Any ideas?