Desktop upgrade questions

Orzunoid

Currently I have a relatively new Win7 64-bit laptop which I use for work and gaming, and a pretty old WinXP desktop that I barely ever use nowadays. What I want to do is upgrade the desktop and move my gaming to that so I can devote the laptop to work.

For work I use AutoCAD 2012 and Microstation which basically require a Win7 64-bit setup with (at least) dual cores, and they work just fine on my laptop.

Gaming-wise I want to be able to use my newer Steam games and still use those old games that only ran on WinXP, so I considered doing a dual-boot setup. However, if it?s going to be affordable, I would like to get two small cases; have one for split work/gaming with Win7 64-bit and the other for WinXP. Regardless, I would rather have a smaller case than the monster Antec that I have now.

My problem is, I also want to be able to run console emulators on the WinXP comp, namely Project64 , but I don?t think the old CPU/Mobo/RAM I have can do that.

Current Desktop
CPU ? AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Mobo ? ASUS K8N
Vid Card ? Radeon 9600XT
RAM ? 1 GB DDR
Case ? Antec

I know for the desktop I?m going to have to replace EVERYTHING(except the disk-drives, etc.) but I don?t want a state-of-the-art machine. I would like to have at least a quad-core setup and a nice mobo for easy upgrade potential. I think my budget will have to be up to $700 based on what I can afford.

1) Do you guys have any ideas of what I can get for an upgrade within that budget? I?ve been seriously considering an AMD Phenom II 965, but I?m not sure.

2) Is there a way I can tweak my old Athlon 64 into making a second, ?retro gaming? kind of computer to fit inside the same budget? Or should I just stick with the dual-boot idea on one machine?

Sorry for the long post guys, and thanks!

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Your desktop should be more then fine for emulation like Project64, afterall, I deal with a computer a little worse than yours and it works perfectly fine (check my profile) Im not sure if you can run all of your steam games though.

I don't have time to dedicate thinking up a rig, but if you went to Newegg.com they are pretty cool about parts and whatnot.

Last edited:

Lukong

Though if you don't want to run into problems keep Windows XP. Windows 7 takes an iffy to some stuff.

SEVENFOOTSWORD

I think xp takes like half a gig... so you want atleast 2-3 gigs on your xp compute and a video card. If the PSU is weak, you're probably going to need a new one with 550+ watts. That is if it's for current games that's coming out.

You don't need win 7 lol.
Nice gpu and ram will do.

Orzunoid

Thanks for your responses guys! This is what I've come up with for a build:

CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core
Mobo - ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI USB 3.0 ATX
Vid - SAPPHIRE 100328L Radeon HD 6770 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500)
Power - OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W
Case - Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan

What do you guys think? And should I get two of those Ripjaw RAMs and/or vid cards?