VBA Speed button problem

kaliahogany

Hey, I'm pretty new to emulators/vba so this is probably a silly question but I'm genuinely confused on this.
I've had VBA for a few days. At first the Speed function worked without a hitch, but it seems that the more I used it the more problematic it got. At first (about two days later) the game I was playing would slow down after I held down Speed for prolonged amounts of time; at first, I'd half to be holding down Speed for about ten minutes, but as it progressed it would slow down after about ten seconds.
Now, when I hold the speed button down, after about ten seconds the VBA will either freeze completely, lag unreasonably, or get "stuck" in speed mode where I'm unable to control the game anymore and it gets stuck in whichever control I was holding down with speed.
When any of these happen, I often close/restart the VBA and re-open the game file but the problem will start again if I hold down the speed button.
If it makes a difference, the games I am playing are all pokemon games and hacks, but the problem occurs on every game I try so I doubt it's a problem with the ROMs.
Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance :X