Emulator Problem: help me pls?!

ethancaleb

help,may vba emulator is very slow?help me how can i fix it?i only use a laptop,but a IBM laptop.a old model of IBM?is there possible to improve faster may VBA emlutor?i can only play a game for 1x to 2x zoom?its very small to play?pls help me?

jbone1337

Well your best bet is buying a better computer. Just so you know a ipod touch can run a gba emulator easily, so your computer is weaker then an ipod touch XD

Options for using your current computer:

In VBA emulator, go to Options.
1) Under "Filter", make sure its set to normal. Using a filter will make it look much better, but dramatically slow it down.
2) Under "Video" you can try changing render options to others to see if you get better results.
3) Under "Frame Skip" you can try skipping frames, as it may increase performance by not rendering each frame.
4) Under "Priority" you can set it to above normal or highest, as it will dedicate more cpu/ram towards it. it may or may not work.

What you can also do is try using something like CCleaner ( http://piriform.com ) to clean you computer of temp files, and then do the registry cleaner to get rid of bad registry (it gives you option to back it up, id recommend you make a folder for them and do so). These things will slow down your computer, so doing this may increase performance alittle. Also you can go under tools > startup on ccleaner, and disable some programs from starting automatically that you dont need. (restart your computer for this to take effect)

Also you can open task manager (ctrl + shift + esc) and go to the performance tab. Check to see the cpu/ram usage before/after running VBA. is you cpu/ram at or near max? if so you will probably need a new computer or to disable some things running.
Go processes, and see what is using the most cpu/ram, and disable it (but note there are processes windows NEEDS running to run, so disabling some could crash windows. which you can just restart your computer to fix, so its not like perm damage or anything).

Then you can also go and defragment your hard drive. you may see some performance increase from that also.

And one more thing you can try is disabling some visual effects. Go to start > right click on my computer, and go to properties. (or control panel > system > system). You will be in the system windows, on the left side click advanced options. Then click on the "Settings" button for Performance. In that window, there is a list of options, id say probably just check "adjust for best performance". This will make everything ugly lol. The very bottom option on this list you have to scroll down for, you will want checked if you dont like not having window/button styles, which is the majority of it. But having that unchecked will help alot.

Also in this same window, you can go to the Advanced tab, and then go and click "Change" under virtual memory. Now virtual memory is not very good to use compared to normal ram. Anyway, if you have 1gb of less ram, set this to like 1-2gb. If you have above 1gb, then just keep it at default which is usually equal to your ram, like if you have 2gb its at 2gb. (restart your computer for this to take effect)

Anyway i hope this helps somewhat. Also when thinking about a new computer, remember emulation is VERY cpu heavy. so getting a better cpu would benefit more then anything. But as far as other computer gaming goes, its more based on the graphics.

ethancaleb

hmm thanks for some help,now i know why its very slow.think need to buy new laptop?and i think the reason too,is may laptop dont have direct3d.that's may friend told me,and may virtual memory is too low.but i hope that there's a possible to improve my laptop.coz its have value for me,coz its my 1st laptop.and im not that kinda rich to buy a new and latest model LOL!give me?if you have a 2nd hand or trash laptop.hahaha.wew coz it will take a months o years for me to buy a new.hahaha.im just a poor guy.i only get may laptop to a thrashcan.hahaha.i think a rich guy just throw it to a thrashcan.and im thankful to him,coz i got it,although its a trash to him.

jbone1337

hmm thanks for some help,now i know why its very slow.think need to buy new laptop?and i think the reason too,is may laptop dont have direct3d.that's may friend told me,and may virtual memory is too low.but i hope that there's a possible to improve my laptop.coz its have value for me,coz its my 1st laptop.and im not that kinda rich to buy a new and latest model LOL!give me?if you have a 2nd hand or trash laptop.hahaha.wew coz it will take a months o years for me to buy a new.hahaha.im just a poor guy.i only get may laptop to a thrashcan.hahaha.i think a rich guy just throw it to a thrashcan.and im thankful to him,coz i got it,although its a trash to him.

Well you dont need the best/most expensive. i have a $500 laptop (though it was on sale from $630) and it has a 2.4ghz dual core, 4gb of ram, and an ati 5470 graphics card. enough to play modern games on low, and enough to run GC/PS2 emulator (not at full speed obviously but still i consider 60%+ speed playable XD)
so aim for something like 2.0ghz+ dual core, 3-4gb of ram.

But does it HAVE to be a laptop? you know you could get a good desktop for cheaper.
You can get something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108457 (3.1ghz dual core which is enough for like full speed GC emulation, 3gb of ram which is good enough for most things, the integrated graphics are kind of crap but i think enough for emulation. And the psu it comes with is not that great, to change/add anything, you will likely need a new psu lol. also comes with kb/mouse)

Or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227320 (3.0ghz dual core, 4gb of ram, and an ati 5450 which is about equal to the graphics i have. Its enough for all emulation at 480P maybe 720P, and enough for other light computer gaming. Good enough psu to upgrade other things on it and still be fine. Also comes with kb/mouse.)

With both you would need a monitor, but you can use a tv with dvi/hdmi input, or maybe even just use a CRT monitor which you can get for like less then $10 from somewhere like craigslist. But most lcd monitors are like $60-100.
You would also need some speakers. Which you could get a monitor with speakers, use some headphones, use old ones maybe, buy some cheap $10-20 ones. w/e.

Id probably go for the 2nd one, as it has more future upgrade possibilities.

Last edited: