Are emulators legal?

Vann

uhh...hey I'm new here...

Hi everybody.

I feel kinda weird downloading these emulators...Aren't they illegal?

Guitar Gamer

No - it's the games (roms) which are illegal and some of the other components like the BIOS. Emulators are squeaky clean. Clear your conscience. ;)

Vann

Lol, but then what's the point of an emulator? :huh:

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Vann@Jul 1 2004, 09:40 PM
what's the point of an emulator? :huh:
  1. For older systems - to prevent classic games from dying.
  2. For newer systems - To show that it can be done.
Those were the original reasons but nowdays it is just gaming :)

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
My playstation is currently located in a box under my bed and a convenient CD case filled with PSX CD's is next to my pc waiting for my "gaming mood" to kick in.

Combine all that with my Bullfrog Gamepad 6540 that is an exact Playstation replica(even the analog sticks act as L3 and R3) and you can not tell the difference :)

So yeah, who needs a Playstation :p

Off topic: The SL-6538 that was released a few weeks ago is even better!!! I wont buy it though as I have a SL-6512 as well but that was a gift, I never wanted that(I wanted another 6540).

Guitar Gamer

Originally posted by Vann@Jul 1 2004, 06:40 PM
Lol, but then what's the point of an emulator? :huh:
To be baddd.... *grins in an evil manner*

(Stewie off of the Family Guy - "Time to be bad...")

Lefteris - Of course. I gave my PS to my brother. *chuckles* A good PC and a good emulator are good enough for me. :)

Mourgos

Ahh,I'm gonna point out once again that the legal matters depend on the laws your country has and since the laws generally differ at each country you can't be certain of what is legitimate and what not.That's mainly for the posession of roms.

Emulators are legal in most(if not all-I can't be certain of that) countries because they do not "use" any copyrighted material.Only the games ,names etc of a console are copyrighted ,the code of the emulator is irrelevant to them.So if you have any legal questions it would be better to ask a lawyer in your country and not here.