Sega Dreamcast Keyboard

rorysl

New to the forums and was wondering if I could get some help on a question that's been nagging at me for some time. This isn't an emulation question per se but I figured this might be a good place to ask!

I've wanted to hook my Sega Dreamcast keyboard up to my PC for awhile now. I think it would look really cool and make a nice conversation piece, as long as it's functional as a PC keyboard.

From what I gather building a Mable Bus (the format used in the DC keyboard plug) to USB converter isn't easy, nor can I find one available to buy. Then I came across a mention of using a Magic Box. These are normally used to connect console controllers to PC for emulation play. I wonder if anyone knows if a DC keyboard would become a functional USB keyboard when used with a Magic Box. Or if anybody had any other ideas on how to make this work?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Hi rorysl. I'm one of the only developers to emulate the maple buss. I did so from ground up using the patent info ( lots of what was wrong ). Personalty I had 0 interest in using that silly keyboard. I mean, why? What would the DC keyboard offer that a PC keyboard would not?

Aside from my opinion, yes it can be done. Since I have little of no use for it, I would never invest the time to do it. However, between the 3 guys to do it ( Mojo, myself and Marcus ) I'm the only one that will not insult you. I'm just a normal every day guy with a lot of talent I have based on hobbies and interest. If you want to know more about my project see my bliss-box link. There is also a Spanish fellow named Oma that has designed a way to read the controllers and he also had no use for a keyboard.

So, how to do it? Well first look no further as the keyboard is only lightly talked about and never has been emulated. As I said it can be done and I have the data sheets that show how its done. I don't sell my services normally but could consider. If you wanted to do this on your own I would start reading up on avr electronics. You would need to invest a minimum of 4 months and possibly a year to understand what is need ( assuming you have none ). At this point I would be willing to help you accomplish it. The other option would be to pay for such a task and I personalty would not do it for cheep.

Any way you go I will be glad to help.

Points of interest.
The maple buss info page by Marcus. http://mc.pp.se/dc/
Avr start up page by my buddy Raph. http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/electronique_en.php
any my page http://bliss-box.net/Bliss-Box/

Last edited:

rorysl

Thanks for getting back to me and for not insulting me -- I appreciate it! Yes, I figured it would be a much too complicated process to enter into. Again, it wasn't of any functional benefit I just thought it would be cool to have a DC keyboard as my main keyboard on my desktop.

I'm assuming that a Magic Box, as it is only designed for controllers, probably wouldn't send the necessary signals to use the keyboard?

Thanks again for your patience and great response -- your Bliss-box looks really cool. Very functional and stylish too!