Explaining What Google Bot Is

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Basic facts:
Search engines like Yahoo, MSN and google use spider software to search sites for information.

Invisionboard has the ability to show these spiders as users if the admin whishes to do so to make it easier to see where the spider is located at any time.

Though this feature can be turned off to save some power on the server as well as stopping people from asking what the hell those bots are I haven't done so.

The search engines you are likely to see are(the names are defined by the admin):
GoogleBot - www.google.com
M$_Bot - www.msn.com & www.hotbot.com
LycosBot - www.lycos.com
AskJeevesBot - www.askjeeves.com
WhatUSeekBot - www.whatuseek.com

There is a usergroup for those bots that prevents them from using posting & replying forms as well seeing hidden parts of the forum. In other words they are read only users so do not even try to contact them.

For more info regarding GoogleBot click here.

J

Jet Set Willy

Cool, now let's find Lefteris another excuse to patronise us!

Really, we'd already cleared this up. You have issues.

hitmonlee

actually i think (hope) this thread will prevent yet another person asking what google bot is :)

i used to talk to a bot a lot. i got bored after a while. as you do. he wasn't clever enough and kept repeating himself.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Holy shit!!!

I was looking at the online list and I saw this:

GoogleBot ( 64.68.80.41 ) Emailing topic: Nov 12 2003, 01:53 PM

What the fuck is going on here???

J

Jet Set Willy

The board probably makes assumptions and gets things wrong - clearly the bot was just crawling the e-mail page.

J

Jet Set Willy

I bet it can still follow the "Email This Topic" link though.