PDA

View Full Version : Web Site Feedback

Jay
November 11th, 2003, 05:08
Well,

I haven't been posting much on EZ for a few days because I've been busy setting up a web site. I would like some feedback on how the site is coming along and I figured I might as well ask the good people of EZ! What I really need here is constructive criticism, however just regular old criticism will do. :P Keep in mind that the site is a work in progress and will not lack in content like this for long. Any input would be great. Thanks.

http://www.gamerzdomain.net/

ScotchGuy
November 11th, 2003, 07:16
New banner and url please. The banner looks grainy, try to create something of higher quality, use Photoshop if possible. Anything with z in it sounds childish :unsure: . Although you can't do anything about that in the near future, if I were you next time your domain registration runs out I would look for another one.

Also the "GO" buttons on the roms page need to be trimmed, you can see some extra stuff on the sides.

This needs to be changed, it was on the affiliates page.

"We are in no way affiliated is in no way affiliated with, representing, associated or sponsored by any company mentioned on this site unless stated otherwise. All copyrights are held by their respective owners."

Misspelling on main page in news section, if I were you I would run everything through Word before putting it on your site:

"Things are coming along quite nicley. There isn't a whole lot of content on the site yet, but right now we're really just concerned with getting the pages up. The links to the left will most likley be the ones we go with, but some cataroies were left out by mistake such as the "Cheat Codes" section. We all hope everyone likes the "look and feel" of the site. Things are still very much subject to change in the weeks to come as we get everything up and running."

hitmonlee
November 11th, 2003, 07:46
centre the text in the navigations buttons

M.H.A.Q.S.
November 11th, 2003, 09:38
The frames and the colors annoy!

Jet Set Willy
November 11th, 2003, 12:32
It's not pretty.

The Hedgehog
November 11th, 2003, 12:39
We are in no way affiliated is in no way affiliated with, representing, associated or sponsored by any company mentioned on this site unless stated otherwise. All copyrights are held by their respective owners.

Plzplzplz?

M.H.A.Q.S.
November 11th, 2003, 14:52
I think you need a companion, who tells you what's wrong.

Jay
November 11th, 2003, 18:54
Thanks guys,

The "We are in no way affiliated is in no way affiliated with" thing was a copy and paste type screw up. As far as the mispelled words go, I suck at spelling. I'll run spellcheck on everything soon. I really think it needs more color. The banner is just really a place holder for one that a friend is making in flash. I hope it looks nice when he gets it done. The navigation buttons need work to, I agree, I'm just not sure exactly what to do with them. I noticed that the navigation table isn't the exact same size on every page too. I wonder how that happened..... ;) I'll have to fix that for sure. I was going to remove those "go" buttons so i didn't photoshop them just yet. Do you guys think I should keep them? What color scheme do you think will look good on the site? This input is very helpful and thanks agian.

El Fugitivo
November 11th, 2003, 19:16
The background is awful, and you definitely need color. The fonts don't look very good, either; same with the buttons on the download pages, as ScotchGuy said.

Jay
November 11th, 2003, 19:19
any fonts you think would look nice?

<><>
November 12th, 2003, 10:43
gamerZdomain

zatz ze firzt problem right zere&#33;

Zach
November 12th, 2003, 15:45
You need to do something about the font color you use against your gradients

Black on black = no no

Nick
November 12th, 2003, 15:58
Yes, the standard photoshop gradient buttons look terrible.

Danny
November 12th, 2003, 16:40
I think it would look better if the menu was lower.

Jet Set Willy
November 12th, 2003, 16:42
And definitely quit with the absolute table values. I&#39;ve got more than half of the screen covered with nothing here.

Jet Set Willy
November 13th, 2003, 01:28
Jay, if you like you can keep posting stuff here and we&#39;ll do what we can to help you fine tune things and get it on the right track.

Jay
November 13th, 2003, 07:11
Thanks Waz,

I think I&#39;ll do just that. I&#39;ve set up a test home page that has a new one color background and a new lay out. I&#39;ve taken out the logo. I&#39;ll add the new one when it gets finished. In the mean time if anyone wants to make one I&#39;d be happy to use it if it&#39;s better than the one I&#39;m having made. I&#39;ve left all the links active on the test page, so if you click the "Home" button you can compare the changes to the home page. I haven&#39;t worked on the navigation bar yet, but I plan to better center the text or maybe just move it to the left. Also, I&#39;m thinking of how to add color to it maybe. I&#39;m going to go ahead and post this test page and then reveiw this thread and make some more changes based on the advice given here. After all, it is the same target audiance. :) Thanks agian, guys.

REMOVED

ScotchGuy
November 13th, 2003, 07:44
I like the background color more, I think you should ditch the gray and change the table colors to different shades of blue and use some white. Try a simpler font as well, unless you really like that one.

I tried something else, I just thought I&#39;d mess around and see if you liked it and could use it somehow.

Here (http://ultra-hiptastic.com/Other/test.htm)

Zach
November 13th, 2003, 07:57
We are in no way affiliated with, associated or sponsored by any company mentioned on this site unless stated otherwise

We are in no way affiliated with, associated, or sponsored by any company mentioned on this site unless stated otherwise

Also, affiliated and associated are sort of redundant. You could just take out associated really.

Jay
November 13th, 2003, 08:58
Scotch Guy - Yes, I did find it useful. I also choose a simpler font and changed colors around.

Neco - Your right.

Try this new version -

http://www.gamerzdomain.net/temp/test.html

M.H.A.Q.S.
November 13th, 2003, 11:28
Practice makes perfect, you should go around other sites and see how they manage their sites.

It helps to see things that are more precise than you.

Jet Set Willy
November 13th, 2003, 11:31
Yeah, most web sites are just copies of others. It&#39;s a great idea to get inspiration and nick all the best ideas from top sites.

M.H.A.Q.S.
November 13th, 2003, 11:47
Sites like

www.ign.com

and others have a large variety of things that you can notice.

So browse around and you&#39;ll be there in no time.

Jet Set Willy
November 13th, 2003, 11:51
Also, if you&#39;re going to use gradients, play around in a decent graphics program and make them look nice (less linear).

Zach
November 13th, 2003, 11:52
Just make sure you don&#39;t look at EZ for spelling guidance, har har &#33;

By the by you got a news script setup yet? I was stubborn about it at first myself, and got kicked in the nutts for it later on.

M.H.A.Q.S.
November 13th, 2003, 11:55
Specially me. ;)

Danny
November 13th, 2003, 19:38
I highly recommend you take a look at these two sites.

http://www.w3schools.com/
http://www.alistapart.com/

The Hedgehog
November 13th, 2003, 21:13
Jay, you should make the text font size in the menu bar smaller.

Lefteris_D
November 13th, 2003, 21:27
The newsposts need work, I can hardly read the title withought hilighting the text.

onewecallgod
November 13th, 2003, 21:28
it looks nice, but i just dont like the background; it doesnt match everything else

Jay
November 14th, 2003, 01:27
Well, I&#39;ve posted the new site now, you guys can now veiw it at http://www.gamerzdomain.net/. I&#39;ve made a small list of things I&#39;ve changed due to the feedback in this thread. I may have left some things out. As far as the domain name goes, I couldn&#39;t changed it now if I wanted to, besides I&#39;m rather fond of it.

1.) The banner has been removed until I get a better one.
2.) The "GO" buttons have been replaced.
3.) The "Navigation Bar" has been replaced with a new one that is still unfinished.
4.) The background has been changed as well as the color scheme.
5.) The fonts have changed.
6.) All grandients have been removed.
7.) The "Navigation Bar" has been moved to be even with the tables to the right.
8.) The site now takes up most of the screen in all resolutions that I&#39;ve tried.
9.) The word associated has been removed from the notice at the bottom.
10) All KNOWN grammar errors have been fixed.

I&#39;m going to talk to someone tonight about being a partner with me on the site so I can get some help with the style of the page. Hopefully he will get the site looking good so I can concentrate on adding content. I&#39;ve also thanked you guys in a news post. All three of my visitors will be able to read it ;) .... LOL Thanks agian.

onewecallgod
November 14th, 2003, 01:30
roms? :blink:

looks much better. the plain text on the left is easier to read

Jay
November 14th, 2003, 01:31
freeware roms only :P

EDIT: Oh yeah, and thank you. It&#39;s nice to finally start to get some positive feedback.

ScotchGuy
November 14th, 2003, 03:29
Good job Jay, quite an improvement.

El Fugitivo
November 14th, 2003, 03:58
Yeah, but the main news table is too big for anyone with a resolution lower than 1024*768 (probably not many people, but some people like their browser to only take up a portion of the screen). Not a major problem, and certainly a subjective one, but just something else for you to consider.

ScotchGuy
November 14th, 2003, 04:11
I agree, I was thinking about commenting about lowering the size of the tables.

onewecallgod
November 14th, 2003, 04:14
yeah come to think of it the whole left side par thing is way too wide

Jay
November 14th, 2003, 04:23
Yeah, I just walked next door to fix a neighbor&#39;s computer. I went to show him the site and his resolution was 800 by 600. It was WAY too big. I&#39;m going to fix that and then I plan on spending the rest of the night uploading content.

ScotchGuy: Perhaps when I get all the bugs out of the graphics and get the content uploaded we could add one another as affiliates? ;)

As usual, thanks for the help.

Jay
November 14th, 2003, 04:53
Ok, I resized the table. Now almost all of it fits onscreen at 800 by 600 and it still covers almost all of the screen at higher resolutions. I hope this will only be a temp solution. I&#39;m going to try and learn how to make the site size it&#39;s self in any resolution to fit the whole browser window reguardless of the size of the window. If you know what I mean...

ScotchGuy
November 14th, 2003, 07:46
Centerise the emulators (http://www.gamerzdomain.net/emulators/emulators.html) heading. But now it appears that you did that on purpose, if that was the case then nevermind.

I love the new go buttons, they remind me of my theme on my computer.

Also on the emulators page, GameCube is one word, along with Playstation.

On the main page the news heading says:

"November 07th"

Jay
November 14th, 2003, 21:29
When I resized the tables it messed up all the headings. The reason I didn&#39;t fix it was because I kind of liked it. What do you guys think? As far as everything else you mentioned I&#39;ll fix it tonight. Thanks. Glad you like the new go buttons. Google image search kicks ass.

Danny
November 14th, 2003, 22:39
To make it so it changes with the browser size change this:
<div style="position: absolute; top: 37px; left: 318px; width: 498px; height: 690px">

Get rid of the width, without it the div should take up whats left of the screen:
<div style="position: absolute; top: 37px; left: 318px; height: 690px">

then add a margin on the right side, you don&#39;t need to set the height either.
<div style="position: absolute; top: 37px; left: 318px; margin-right: 20px;">

http://members.lycos.co.uk/boldpatch/uploa...z%20Domain.html (http://members.lycos.co.uk/boldpatch/uploads/Gamerz%20Domain.html)

It works alright in both IE and Firebird, for me at least.

Jay
November 14th, 2003, 22:44
Thanks man. I&#39;ll try it tonight when I make the other changes from above. I&#39;d do it right now, but I&#39;m uploading emulators. :) The turn out of help I&#39;ve recieved here is fantastic.

Zach
November 14th, 2003, 23:50
You may want to reconsider the idea of a forums right now. Wait until your site gets pretty popular and then try for one.

The reason I say this is there are so many forums on the net these days they are a dime a dozen. Just look at my forums. No one really posts there.

If you really do want to have forums, you should be prepared to advertise them heavily and spread the word around.

Jay
November 17th, 2003, 02:44
I&#39;ve got 10 emulators availble for download now. I also fixed the grammar errors from above. As far as the forums go, I really don&#39;t expect anyone to post there right now as I still have the default skin up and there&#39;s just not a lot going on. Hell, people may never post on them, but I just don&#39;t feel like the site is complete without them. Check out the way I have the downloads set up and let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

ScotchGuy
November 17th, 2003, 03:08
You spelled grammar and suggestions incorrectly on the news post.

The Atari downloads look nice, except in Firebird the top emulator (A26) table dimensions are different from the rest, along with the very top of the table, the description part. It looks fine in IE though.

Heh, I should have been judging your table dimensions while looking at IE, because it looks much nicer than in Firebird.

Jay
November 17th, 2003, 22:14
http://www.gamerzdomain.net/test.html

Check this out and let me know what you guys think. I think it&#39;s the best I&#39;ve come up with so far.

Zach
November 17th, 2003, 22:42
drop me a line on MSN sometime if you want me to set you up an anti-leech download script.

M.H.A.Q.S.
November 18th, 2003, 09:55
http://www.gamerzdomain.net/test.html

Although the link didn&#39;t work for me. I saw your recent site. The color combinations need a lot of attention.

People here at EZ complain about them, when they are not soothing to see.

Jay
November 21st, 2003, 05:08
sorry.. that link is no longer live... but I&#39;ve beengetting somehelp from a good friend and things are looking up.... you guys can check out the new version soon when it goes live... thanks agian for the help

ScotchGuy
November 21st, 2003, 05:18
I think you should lessen the height of the tables that are on both sides of the page, if you do that and get a new banner it should be great.

The tables that say things like "Navigation", "Emulators", etc. is what I&#39;m referring to.

Zach
November 21st, 2003, 06:50
Hi all.

I have been working with Jay over the past fe days, to rebuild his site structure. I have also been teaching him how to use and manage CSS files and includes and neat stuff like that, so he can manage his web site easily.

The site is shaping up nicely, and you can view the progress at

http://www.gamerzdomain.net/index.php

a lot of the links won&#39;t be working right, as jay is rebuilding the pages to teach himself better, so if you click them, you make get the update page instead :)

<><>
November 21st, 2003, 09:58
That&#39;s quite some progress there Neco. The site looks much cleaner and well organized.

Zach
November 21st, 2003, 11:16
Hehe I wouldn&#39;t call it progress, all I really did was give him a good idea of how to organize things, and teach him how to manage his two outer frames + make and maintain new pages and use CSS classes

Actually taught him all that in a few hours.

After he gets the site up to speed he&#39;ll be ready to launch

we just need to get him a proper logo

Neko Koneko
November 21st, 2003, 12:03
I would get rid of the times new roman font. Use verdana or arial instead.

Zach
November 21st, 2003, 12:06
We&#39;ll keep it just to piss you off

Neko Koneko
November 21st, 2003, 13:05
Originally posted by Neco@Nov 21 2003, 12:06 PM
We&#39;ll keep it just to piss you off
Oh, it doesn&#39;t piss me off, if you like it then keep it.

M.H.A.Q.S.
November 21st, 2003, 16:37
The site is normal. Let&#39;s see what&#39;s next.

Tidus_Flame
November 22nd, 2003, 05:10
that website fucking sux.........................

ScotchGuy
November 22nd, 2003, 05:11
Shut up, it&#39;s much better than anything you could do.

Also, you wouldn&#39;t know a good website if it bit you in your testicle.

Tidus_Flame
November 22nd, 2003, 05:19
1 time a a dog was licking my nuts and it bit me.........her name was website.....fucker

Jay
November 22nd, 2003, 05:39
Here&#39;s an idea Tidus. Stay off the site if you don&#39;t like it.

PS. Go to hell and die.

EDIT: Also thanks to Neco for his help.

ScotchGuy
December 7th, 2003, 21:12
You appear to have an error with your frames...

Screen Shot (http://server4.uploadit.org/files2/071203-FrameError.png)

Lefteris_D
December 7th, 2003, 21:21
That looks like a problem with the target="" parameter in the links. Nothing that notepad can&#39;t fix.

ScotchGuy
December 7th, 2003, 21:30
Yeah, that&#39;s what I was thinking. I got that error when I was working with frames for the first time, but I can&#39;t remember how I fixed it.

Jay
December 9th, 2003, 18:54
I was really just playing around with thr frames. I seem to be making progress slowly but surely.

RockY
December 9th, 2003, 19:59
Sometimes frames suck, depends on what kind of stuff you want to show.