End of the Desktop? Google Backs WebGL

cibomatto2002

Windows 10
Stick a fork in the desktop, it?s done! Recently Google demoed a port of Quake II to WebGL and HTML5, showing that even first person shooters are suitable applications to run in the browser. While the tide isn?t going to turn all at once, it seems more likely than ever that a browser-based desktop is a viable option and ultimately the way many users will experience all applications.

When Google announced Chrome OS, I was skeptical that a Web-only interface would be suitable for the mainstream market. Sure, some folks could get by with a browser-based netbook, but what about real applications and games. As HTML5 continues to mature, and Google Chrome improves by leaps and bounds, it looks more and more like Web apps really will give the ?fat? desktop a run for its money. Most convincing? Google?s announcement that it?s ported Quake to run in the browser sans plugin. At the same time, Google has given me good reason to remain skeptical with its change in direction with Google Gears.

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7764/?u...x+Magazine:+Top+Stories)&utm_content=My+Yahoo

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Yeah heard about it. Read the negative review on it some time. Talk about the end of "free roam" Its just a step in the direction to control what people do on there own os. I'm totally for Google, but totally against this idea by them.

SEVENFOOTSWORD

Yes, I've heard the same thing ulaoulao. Richard Stallman is a good example of an opposing force. the government will be able to look at all our documents based on one search warrant on the company with all our data versus a search warrant for each person. This new web based os stuff.... is meh. I'll put two thumbs up for netbooks though :D That's about as far as anyone with any kind of intelligence will go.