Help with CPU Fan Speed

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
I bought a Thermaltake CPU fan/heatsink and when I installed it I noticed that the fan was spinning very slow. I used speedfan and Everest to check the speeds. It was spinning at about 500rpms at all time, even under full load and when the CPU hit 70*c.
Does anyone know how I can fix this?
I have a compaq desktop and the bios literally does not have any type of settings that I can change. I have requested an repair/exchange from thermaltake, but I figured I would check here before I send it off.

PC Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ 2.7ghz
2gigs of ram
Windows 7 64bit
585watt Power supply

onewecallgod

Windows 7 may have a setting for fan speeds, or there's a Compaq app that's controlling it.

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
Windows 7 may have a setting for fan speeds, or there's a Compaq app that's controlling it.

I booted into XP and I am getting the same results.
As for Compaq app, I dont think I have any.
I should mention that the Default fan that came with the PC spins at 1600 rpms.

Zach

Are you connecting it to the proper header?

Also it may be that your mobo does not support the proper power mode that fan is designed for using (I.E PWM )

Or maybe it is bad, its tough to say.

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
Well, I bought an adapter that allows me to plug the Fan into my power supply and it worked. The fan does spin at 100% [im assuming] but that does not bother me. The only thing bad, is that I MUST have a fan plugged into the motherboard. So until I find a better solution I just have the old CPU fan sitting in the pc case.

Zach

This is why I hate shit like Compaq (compCRAP)

See if you can find any option in your BIOS that would disable any CPU fan warnings.

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
This is why I hate shit like Compaq (compCRAP)

See if you can find any option in your BIOS that would disable any CPU fan warnings.

I agree, Compaq is shit. I only got this PC so I would have something to use until I Build a custom PC, which might be a while.

I looked in my BIOS and I don't have any options for Fans, voltages, heat sensors or anything. It shows me my CPU Voltages and clocks, but it is all grayed out so I cant change anything. So I ended up using some zip ties to mount the fan on the side panel of the case and using it as an extra case fan. lol

Maybe you could help me out with one more thing.
I just did a stress test for my CPU to check the temps, but Im starting to think My heat sensor is messed up. Keep in mind that I dont have anything in my BIOS that shows Temps. I think these temps are a little off, especially the one in Speedfan.lol When I touch the Heatsink while doing the stress test it is warm, but not hot. If that matters. Do you think the heat sensors are messed up?

Spoiler »
heat.jpg

Zach

You have a Core 2 Duo, or an AMD Dual Core or something like that?

Sometimes you get sensors that give funny ass readings, so you can ignore that obvious one.

Your coretemp readings look accurate enough though. And if your HSF is warm during high loads, then it is doing its job and has a good contact with the CPU. The only time to be concerned is if it is nearly cold, or lukewarm.

Generally as long as your PC is not crashing under load, or having other stability problems. It is fine, and the high readings while maybe not totally accurate, don't matter as much as the delta between your high and low temps.

Last edited:

Zach

That really depends on the platform you are building (AMD or Intel) as well as the brands you are choosing.

Intel CPU's and Motherboards are both notoriously expensive. However some feel they are worth it. AMD CPU's tend to be more expensive than their motherboard counterparts, however depending on the price range, an AMD system could still cost less than a reasonably comparable Intel based system.

And the ultimate decider, is market conditions. I think when I bought my C2D I paid about $170 and for the motherboard around $150.. something like that.