Game Problem: MAME AND FLYING SHARK

Hi all

I'm using MAME32 0.103U2 and trying to run my first game of Flying Shark world version but I open directories to the unzipped Roms and it just doesn't recognise them and run the game.Any ideas as I'm new to all this.It doesn't seem to recognise the roms from a few other games I've tried as well.

FTJM

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
You need to leave the roms zipped. Put the rom zips in your rom folder, in the main Mame32 folder.

Boot Mame32 and in the Mame32 toolbar select 'file' then 'Audit All'. Mame will check your rom zips and hopefully you'll now be able to double click the one's you've got roms for from the gamelist and play them.

Last edited:
Thx,I can only seem to get the game running by pasting the flying shark zip file directly on the mame32 emu icon.The game then loads and runs,although despite calibrating my joystick on both windows and flying shark and the emulator I can't always use that either.Sometimes the joystick works,sometimes not.I have tried going to the directories tab and uploading the fs zip file to the emulator but although it recognises it the emu still says rom codes are not there! Also,I tried running another game in the same way,but it didn't recognise it at all. Despite following what seems like straightforward procedures from the mame guide I don't seem to have much luck with this emu rom business!! Any other suggestions anyone?

FTJM

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Mame roms change periodically as things are updated and improved. Different versions of Mame will use different versions of roms. Usually its best to use the latest build of mame with recent dumps of the roms.

In the Mame32 default game options menu in the toolbar, make sure the use joystick box is ticked.

Epsi

Zoo Keeper
Flying Shark (World)

seems the roms have changed alot since 0.103

# 0.129u4: Brian Troha and Stefan Lindberg corrected and added missing proms for Flying Shark and clones. Fixed rom names.
# 16th November 2008: Guru - I recently picked up a pile of junk for spares and repairs from a local friend. It turned out there was quite a bit of interesting stuff in this lot. As far as I can make out, I got Flying Shark (Taito), I think? with TMS320Cxx.
# 0.122u6: Changed TMS32010 CPU3 clock speed to 14MHz.
# 0.105u2: Changed all user1 roms to cpu3 and fixed the addresses.

so get the latest MAME and try your rom with that.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Has anyone got the FULL rom codes for Flying Shark as I can't seem to find a site that gives me anything but the partial rom codes? FTJM

http://forums.emulator-zone.com/rules.php

1. Do not ask for, offer or supply materials that are considered illegal
We do not permit discussions about getting any illegal materials, such as Ripped Music CDs(MP3 etc), Ripped Movies(Divx etc), ROMs, ISOs or Warez. Threads which break this rule will be either closed or simply deleted and the thread creator will be dealt with accordingly.

No rom requests please.

OK got it all working..bit of a lucky dip hit and miss affair this emu rom thing..I can't seem to get the KDJ or HSC initials cheat on the high score table of Flying Shark (World) on the MAME32 to work.Great to be playing an old favourite though. If anyone else knows any cheats that actually work it would be much appreciated! FTJM:)

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Use the Mame cheat XML http://cheat.retrogames.com/ and enable cheats in the MameUI default game options. Then when playing a game, hit TAB and go into the cheat menu.

If you're using an older version of Mame you need to use one of the old mame cheat.dat files in exactly the same way. You can grab these from the same site, just go to the downloads section.

Last edited:
Unfortunately no dat files for mame 0.103u2..any idea where I could find them? Do I just stick them in the same place as the game roms? Much appreciated,FTJM

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Just use the 0.105.dat, it should work ok with 0.103. The dat updates up to 0.126 weren't build specific, just added new cheats. From 0.126 they changed the cheat system to use an xml rather than a dat file.