help me! Need the name of 2 shoot-them-up

zemickey

Hi!

When I was a kid, I used to spend a lot of time on 2 shoot-them-up (I mean, a spaceship that destroys everything in sight). Unfortunatly I just cannot remember the name of them, and I'd be eager to replay them.

Well, you'll tell me "Dude! there are thousands of shooters, give us a description!". Here they are:

1st game:
You see the spaceship from above and see the ground below (vertical scrolling?). The spaceship from my souvenirs is looking like a silver rocket a bit like this:
/\
| |
| |
| |
| |
---

What I remember: the ship used to change shape everytime you take a power up. Each power up (being exactly the same) made you step to the next level of ship , ending with shooting 2 or 3 circles of violet /orange. The other particular thing is that after a time without getting power-up, you had a little bell "ding-dong, ding-dong" telling that you will regress to the previous level of ship.
If you got hit you return to the first simple shape. And if you get hit in this form, you change into a very simple and small form:
/\
| |
---

And of course if you got hit in this form, you die.

For those who know the game very well, there was a trick: after achieving being at a shape with rail guns, let it time out and regress to a lesser level, and then get another power up which would lead to another type of shape. Once at maximum, get hit, and the ship will transform into a black dragon (or bird?) indestructible and extremely powerful.

2nd game:
This time you see the ship from the side (you can see a background and the sky) (horizontal scrolling?). The particularity of this game is that it is on 2 levels of ground: the first and easier is on open air, the second -below the first- is underground, usually with lava and stuff. You can switch from one another by using holes that link the two of them.
A few particular power ups that are quite noticeable:
you can add legs to your ship (sticking to the bottom of it) which add firepower and prevent from crashing on the ground (I think). I remember another add-on that came on the top of your ship, but not too sure about what it was (arms?).

So... Is there anyone who can help me recover the names of these games? Is this board the rightplace to ask? Is there another site where I should ask?

Thank you by advance!

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
The first game is either "Darwin 4078" or "Super Real Darwin". Both are included in MAME.

The second game is "Mag Max". The game can be found in MAME but there are also Spectrum, Commodore and Amstrad versions.

You can thank a friend of mine for the info :)

zemickey

All right!!! thanks a lot!

I just checked the screenshots, and that's indeed them!

Finally! my search is over :-D

Thank your friend a lot for me :)