Emulator Problem: NullDC NAOMI error

emunia

I have Vista in my laptop with DX10 and got message saying that the DX9 files not found. When started, sound is S L O W and I can't view any picture output. How I do resolve this?

Jay

Sly Little Devil
The nullDC Team in the nullDC v1.0.3 User Manual said:
System Requirements

Recommended:
  • CPU : AMD 3000+ or Intel Pentium 4 at 2.6GHz or equivalent.
  • Video Card : DirectX9 compliant video card With shader model 2 support. (Geforce FX, ATi Radeon 9600)
  • RAM : 512MB Dual channel DDR333

Systems that meet the recommended requirements should get acceptable speeds for most games with minimal errors.

Ideal:
  • CPU : Fast Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD 4000+ or equivalent.
  • Video Card : DirectX9 compliant video card With shader model 4 support (Geforce 8 series, Radeon HD series)
  • RAM : 1GB Dual channel DDR400

Systems that meet the ideal requirements should get full speed for most games using even the most demanding options.

nullDC will run on Windows Vista. However, hardware requirements will be a bit higher than the ones mentioned above and there will probably be sound related issues (as with many other applications running on Vista).

I have Windows XP, but according to this you should able to run nullDC too using Windows Vista. To get the best performance your system needs to be above the requirements, but if it's not nothing stops you from trying anyway. Some games may still work.

Please try the following steps:
  • Go to Microsoft's Windows update (in the start menu or control panel) and see if they're any video driver updates, sound driver updates, DirectX hotfixes, or anything else you see that has anything to do with video or sound.
  • Download and install the VisualC++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Runtimes. You can find them here.
  • nullDC comes with two main executable files, MMU and a non-MMU version. Try the non-MMU version if you haven't already. The MMU version is not recommended unless it's used on interpreter mode with games that make use of the Dreamcast MMU and can be much slower.
  • Open nullDC.cfg and set "Emulator.NoConsole=" to "1" to get rid of the console that opens when you run the emulator. This might speed things up a little bit. If it doesn't help then change it back because it displays some vital information.
  • Try using Chankast's AICA plug in for audio if you aren't already. It can make the emulation a little faster.
  • Try using the "No AICA" plugin and Chankast's video PVR.
  • Try messing with the options of each plugin or try some different plugins besides the ones I mentioned. If a change doesn't help then change everything back the way it was. We want to make sure we don't make things worse.
  • Make sure you're not using a PAL BIOS and Flash pair or a hacked Flash file. This can slow things down to 50VPS as apposed to 60.
  • Try disabling the "Constant Propagation Optimization Pass" option.
  • Another possibility is that you have a corrupted image of that game. Try another game or two and see if they work.

Try all these things first and if all else fails try a different emulator. Here are three other common Dreamcast emulators that play some commercial games. You may or may not have better luck with one of these.

Now if you're still having problems after trying all that, post again and give more information. What's your computer's specs? What plug-ins are you using? Have you ever gotten this emulator to work on this laptop before? Anything you can think of may be helpful.

If I were you, I'd dual boot a Linux distro or Windows XP SP3 on that laptop so I could still run non-Vista compatible software. At least for a while until Vista support among your favorite emulators and applications gets better and especially if you've gotten this emulator to run on similar hardware with XP before.

I hope you find this helpful,
Jay

Last edited: