Hacker on WinUAE

retroguiden

Man of Many Talents
There doesn't seem to be many Amiga emulator users here since my last question regarding a game on WinUAE gathered 75 views but 0 replies, but since the WinUAE site is down at the moment I might as well try a question here.

I've been trying to get Hacker (the first Activision game from 1987) to play in WinUae. I have a couple of copies of the game but none work so it's doubtful (but not impossible) that I have a faulty ADF-file.

Been using every quickstart setting on the new public beta version (1.5.4) as well as the previous version but the emu just checks the disc for a few sectors and then restarts. Got the same effect in WinFellow.

Tried to make a search on Google but since 'Hacker' is one of the search words it's hard to find anything related.

Ideas or experience anyone?

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
According to Lemon Amiga, the game only works with KickStart 1.1, although there is a WHDLOAD (whatever that is) fix that allows it to work with later versions.

This was apparently released in 1985, so I would guess that being designed for the very first series of Amiga's you want to set the machine up in WinUAE the same as the early 80's models.

retroguiden

Man of Many Talents
Great! If not for the fact that KS 1.1 seems to be the only version I don't have :(
Never mind, I'll solve that and try it later.

WHDLoad is a tool to make games and demos installable on a virtual Amiga harddrive. A great thing if you don't want to fiddle with adf disk files.

Thanks for the help, I'll post back when I see some result.

UPDATE:

I spent about an hour on the EAB Forum and found out the ADF files out there is faulty. I needed an IPF version of the original disc, Could be useful info if anyone else ever comes across this problem.

Last edited: