Tip on Joystick for emulator games

moijk

My first experience with a computer was in my early ages with the vic 20, but the most heartfelt experience is from my younger years with the c64 and later the Amiga, and ofcourse some PC games in my teenages, some arcade games and some snes/nes/ps games.

Anyway enough of my background, I own a sweet little laptop. A thinkpad x61s which screms of pain when anything graphically intensive is run. But it runs emulators like a dream. So I'm wondering what or which controllers I should buy to get my retro fix on.

I have a slight feeling I'd help my c64 / amiga passion with a Competition Pro USB Joystick (I own the real thing, and have previously owned several. and I own the c64dtv as well which also uses the comp pro.), but I'm more unsure what to choose for my nes/snes/ps/xmame fix. Any one pad that does it all or do I have to get both an analoug and a digital one?

I run ubuntu linux, just so that is mentioned.

Zach

A Playstation gamepad is what people typically use. You can find USB adaptors for them online usually. Ebay, other niche yahoo storefronts or stuff like that.

http://www.estarland.com/product16943.html

Something like that is what you're looking for. I will vouch for the store, I bought a Slim PS2 flip-top lid mod and boot disc set from them and it came in reasonable time for standard mail. My brother also bought the same stuff from them.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
yup what Zack said. All adapters out there for gamepads are HID so they will work with linux. If you dont find the adapter your looking for contact me I make them ;)

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Do you do fully functional N64 ones?. I've been keeping an eye out for a proper adaptoid but they tend to go for silly money when they pop up from time to time on the bay.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Do you do fully functional N64 ones?. I've been keeping an eye out for a proper adaptoid but they tend to go for silly money when they pop up from time to time on the bay.
- Currently I do a GC/n64 adapter. I have made the GC shake but rumble and mem feature are still under development.

I know what you mean about prices. I saw one go for 300+ LOL. nutz!!! I wish that play it again Asia or what ever company bought the rights would start make a few...

Last edited:

moijk

A Playstation gamepad is what people typically use. You can find USB adaptors for them online usually. Ebay, other niche yahoo storefronts or stuff like that.

http://www.estarland.com/product16943.html

Something like that is what you're looking for. I will vouch for the store, I bought a Slim PS2 flip-top lid mod and boot disc set from them and it came in reasonable time for standard mail. My brother also bought the same stuff from them.

Now that was a better answer than I thought I would get. Because ps2 gamepads are not exactly hard to come by, and this adapter looks fairly cheap. Thanks!