Sega Model 2 version 0.8a emulator

panootz

Hi! I'm new here wich you already figured out. I belong to the vpforums virtual pinball forum, and i highly recommend it. anyway i downloaded the Sega Model 2 Emulator version 0.8a and Downloaded the Daytona rom and House of the dead rom, But i can't seem to figure out were to put them i've tried everything and it keeps saying missing rom files. I downloaded version 7 a year ago and had no problems the games loaded but they didn't work right. The sound and graphics on Daytona looked and sounded terrible. But i just went back to nebula and they said they fixed the problems with the games. My question is what and where do you put the roms, I downloaded the roms with winrar is that why they don't work, should i try something else. Please help me:(:(:( Dave P.

Last edited:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Hi, welcome to the forum.

When you extract the Model 2 emulator you will notice a file in the folder called emulator.ini
Open this up and one of the first entries is for your rom directory ;Dir1=
Just delete the ; symbol from in front of Dir1= and type the path to your rom folder there, for example Dir1=C:\model2\roms

With Daytona you need to merge the Mame roms to get them to work. Mame has 4 different variants for Daytona and you need to unzip all of them and put the contents into a single zip file called Daytona.zip

You might also find you are missing 3 files called

mpr-16310.15, mpr-16311.14, and mpr-16312.13 these are missing from most of the Daytona dumps floating about. If you grab another model2 game like ZeroGunner for example, extract those 3 files from it and put them with the others inside your new Daytona rom.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Just remembered another little gem with Daytona and model 2. When you first boot the game you need to go into the service menu with F2, go to the Game Options and change the cabinet from Twin to Upright and the Link ID from Master to Single....then the game will work.

Last edited:

panootz

Should i go back to winzip and then download the roms and maybe they'll work better, I really want to play Daytona USA again, but i can't if it doesn't work. And for mame does anybody know what kind of graphics card i might need to run the CHD games smoothly, so the music doesn't skip and the speed isn't slow. And while were on the subject are they ever going to get DJ Boy to work that game is old and it still doesn't work in mame. I remember playing that a long, long time ago in an arcade far away. Please help. Thanks Dave P.:D

panootz

Thanks Fattrucker i do appriciate it. I will give it a try, I did it before but i forgot how to do it. Thanks and Happy New Year.:bow:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Should i go back to winzip and then download the roms and maybe they'll work better, I really want to play Daytona USA again, but i can't if it doesn't work. And for mame does anybody know what kind of graphics card i might need to run the CHD games smoothly, so the music doesn't skip and the speed isn't slow. And while were on the subject are they ever going to get DJ Boy to work that game is old and it still doesn't work in mame. I remember playing that a long, long time ago in an arcade far away. Please help. Thanks Dave P.:D

The speed issues with games in Mame is far more about your processor than the graphics card. A lot of the CHD games are slow on even the best hardware as they are still WIP. Many others will produce a playable framaerate now if you have a reasonably quick Dual Core processor a couple of GB of Ram and even better if you run 64 bit mame on 64 bit windows. Mame still doesn't use 3D acceleration or any of its features or enhancements so any DirectX 9 or 10 card will do the job with current builds.

Last edited:

panootz

Know all we need is a Model 3 Emulator and everything will be great. I love Daytona 2:Battle on the edge and Jurassic Park: lost world, and many other model three games maybe someday we'll play them for now this will work. Dave P.

panootz

I can play Killer instinct 1 and 2, Crypt Killer, Area 51/Maximum force but others like crusin usa, Carnevil, California speed, Gauntlet dark lagacy/legends and other don't work. Again maybe someday but for now i have a lot of games and an X-box 360 and wii so i'm happy for the time being. Dave P.:D

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Carnevil, Calspeed and Cruisin USA are all playable under normal conditons in normal 32 bit windows, with a decent Dual Core CPU. Mame has a new option you can enable to take advantage of multi-core processors.

I think Dark Legacy is still a bit ropey but some people have reported usable results although they generally tend to be on uber overclocked Core2Duo's and 64 bit Windows.

panootz

I also want to say thankyou i read the CHD post down below and i figured out how to play the gun games with the mouse thanks for that input even though it wasn't on my link. I'v been wanting to play the gun games with something more then the a Keyboard. Now i just hope someday someone can get The American Laser Games to work. I have Daphne and play Dragon's lair 1 and 2, Space Ace, M.A.C.H. 3, Cobra command and many more i am waiting for Firefox to get emulated to someday, i played that a lot when i was a kid and i'm almost 40 so it's been awhile. Thanks again Fattrucker talk to you soon. Also if you get a chance if you like pinball games go to vpforums they have a lot of great pinball tables their. Real ones and made up ones it's also a great forum like here people always help you.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
You're more than welcome mate, us elderly gamers have to stick together :D . I know the VP boards, I've been using Pinmame and Visual Pinball for a few years now, its a great emu.

Re the laserdisk thing, the support is being added to mame now. Firefox is the latest one to have been added and works pretty much perfectly, (although the file is 11Gb!!!!). There's a youtube vid of it running on Mame here http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ82pEtUrjI. Daphne has also been improved lately and they have done a licensing deal with digital leisure meaning the new version of Daphne will automatically download any games you don't have. How cool is that!?.

Last edited:

panootz

FatTrucker actually thats what i did with Daphne it took me 3 days to download Daphne with the downloader but it was worth it. I have Dragon's lair 1 and 2 and Space Ace on digital leisure so i had to download the DVD's on my computer then i played them. Now i'm looking to get Thayer's quest and maybe someday The American Laser Games and do the same thing. I still havn't been able to get the sega model 2 emulator working, i can't seem to find a good place for Model 2 Roms, i'll just have to keep looking eventually i'll find them and then try and figure the emulator out. I have 32 bit power but i still can't seem to get the games Carnevil, California speed, Crusi'n USA to work is their something in the mame program i'm supposed to do to speed them up. I seem to have v 0.114, i downloaded v 0.128 and it still didn't work, these computers are impossible sometimes i would give anything to play Carnevil again i love that game and now i can play it with my mouse it would be great. I would also like to play Area 51 site 4 too. Well talk to you later i do love video games though all of them and pinball too. I want a Stern Family Guy i love that pinball machine it is great and i don't even watch the show. See Ya Dave P.:p

Last edited:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
You need a reasonably quick dual core processor to get Carnevil and co working with a useable framerate. You'll need to run it on a fairly up to date version 0.126 or higher as afaik a lot of the multi-core optimisation has happened in the last few builds.
Area 51 should play ok with a reaonably fast single core processor though.

Last edited:

Dale In Digital

You seem to know what you are talking about regarding the Daytona ROM. I have gathered up a myriad of ROM files from the different versions (MAXX,Turbo,ect..) but I still seem to be missing files.

I was able to replace the first missing file of the three you mentioned, but the other two are a mystery: mpr-16311.14, and mpr-16312.13. There are VERY similar files in the other ROMS, each one being off by one lousy number. To my dismay, I havn't gotten it to work once. Any more thoughts, FatTrucker?

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
All I can suggest is perhaps finding a different source for the roms. I got the 3 missing files from my Zero Gunner rom.

panootz

FatTrucker i just wanted to give you my specs that i could find on my computer for the CHD files like i said for games like California Speed, Carnevil, crusin' series, and a few others. I have Mame v.129. My specs go as,

it's an Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4CPU 3.06 GHz, 3.07 GHz, 1.00GB of Ram

My Graphics card is ATI, Radeon 9700 Pro
Core Clock MHz 297MHz
Memory Clock MHz 263MHz

that's all i can get out of it, I think the guy who fixed my computer not two long ago said it was a duel core but i'm not sure. I also see theirs another update for Mame v.129ui or something like that. Also how do you change the settings, i spent hours trying to figure it out. I got crusin' usa a little bit faster but not perfect. Area 51, Crypt killer, and the killer instinct series play much better with the v.129, If you have any info let me know thank you very much. Dave P.:):)

Last edited:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
FatTrucker i just wanted to give you my specs that i could find on my computer for the CHD files like i said for games like California Speed, Carnevil, crusin' series, and a few others. I have Mame v.129. My specs go as,

it's an Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4CPU 3.06 GHz, 3.07 GHz, 1.00GB of Ram

My Graphics card is ATI, Radeon 9700 Pro
Core Clock MHz 297MHz
Memory Clock MHz 263MHz

that's all i can get out of it, I think the guy who fixed my computer not two long ago said it was a duel core but i'm not sure. I also see theirs another update for Mame v.129ui or something like that. Also how do you change the settings, i spent hours trying to figure it out. I got crusin' usa a little bit faster but not perfect. Area 51, Crypt killer, and the killer instinct series play much better with the v.129, If you have any info let me know thank you very much. Dave P.:):)

If its a dual core rig try enabling the Multi-Threaded Rendering option in Mames options. If you're using MameUI or one of its variants it can be found in 'Options'>'Default Game options'>'Miscellaneous'