Need an opinion on website

laozing

I know a friend called turok. He just recently started to advertise (veryy low budget) his developing website. He asked me whether it's decent or not.
I gave it a 8/10, but he is not convinced. can you guys rate the site?
--Click here to check it out--

Zach

Main page looks OK I guess.. some 404's tho.. the forum banner is totally messed up tho.

Couldn't stand to look at it beyond that. Anyway personally I wouldn't actively seek out anyone espousing the virtues of a Microsoft product for web design, as they traditionally are only meant to make code that works well with IE, doesn't conform to W3C standards, and so on. Maybe I'm old school, but I like Dreamweaver and Notepad, because I know what I'm doing and don't need WYSIWYG interfaces to build a page and plop down buttons and forms, etc.

To each their own.

laozing

Actually A lot of the coding Turok does IS in notepad. I'm trying to learn some html myself and as such I ask him some pointers about learning the stuff. First one off the bat was w3schools.com. he learned his coding there. second was using two or three html editors to get the best results. I am currently trying out dreamweaver although Turok advised me not to but went on with the whole "you should try things that works for you and stop emailing me". long story short I'm trying it along with Kompozer as I am still experimenting. I plan on joining his forum. What's wrong with the banner? looks awesome to me.

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
Personally, I thought the site looked well represented - taking I'm not an anime fan. As for what was used for developing it, who cares. Everyone has their preference - myself, I use FrontPage and CoffeeCup (while leaving the small stuff to notepad)...

Just tell your buddy a "drifter" said it looks bad@$$ - and keep up the content. ;)

Zach

Well your friend is right, we all code in what works for us best after trying out different stuff. Good to hear he uses notepad and sent you to w3school tho.
I just don't have a lot of faith in Microsoft web design products I guess.

But like I said to each their own.

As for the forum.. His huge graphic banner is sitting ontop of the rest of the forum, in a way that looks very bad. It doesn't look blended in at all, and it's just wrong.. I may have to resort to a screenshot to describe it..

I'm viewing the site in Mozilla Firefox btw..

I'm suspecting he didn't think to implement his graphic in a way so that it auto-stretches to cover the entire browser width, or alternatively fixed the tables and banner at a hard center so that no matter what resolution it was, it would look proper.

Last edited:

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
Didn't know we're talking "forums" here - but the main site's presentation (as my opinion of that above didn't change). Though speaking of the forums, they're so-so, which can still see it needs a lot more work to put into (can't argue with that, use to skin them a few years ago and know those ropes - which becomes very time consuming with their "odd" way of PHP scripting). As for the banner, IPB's are a pain when it comes to "perfecting" them, while removing it from the style sheet and replacing it with a logo (with a transparent background that is) works much better upon pulls and stretches of the page (as I did with of my own back in the day)...

Zach

When I used to run a forum, I always deleted that bulky stylsheet crap from the main source page and linked it to an external file, also helps to modify files manually when you want to do something. Not too hard, just like working with a web site as long as you understand the coding process and what does what.

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
When I used to run a forum, I always deleted that bulky stylsheet crap from the main source page and linked it to an external file, also helps to modify files manually when you want to do something. Not too hard, just like working with a web site as long as you understand the coding process and what does what.

I agree - customizing the scripting to your own liking is the way to go. Even though my community had "Invision Power Board v1.0.1" at the bottom, it was completely different then you could of imagined (which thinking of upgrading would of been nuts to consider).

Original isn't always best - just as one shoe doesn't fit all...

laozing

Well I asked him myself about the banner thing and he told me:

"Itching to fix that and auto strech to browser width but I am unforunately too lazy to even bother with it. If two or three people would just say something about the banner issue I'll change it quick. By the way, WTF are you still emailing me!? Go to w3schools and learn CSS!"

yeah.. I spam the guy. A LOT :happy:.

Also he seems perfectly content with how the boarrd is save the banner.

man this is like the third edit. firefox? If I remember turok uses IE7 and opera, the latter being his prime choice for browsing. IE7 just to download.

Last edited:

turokzone

Turok of the Turokzone
What's this? a topic on my site? wtf..... and hey stop emailing me L.

turokzone

Turok of the Turokzone
No but sometimes L here loses his internet connection and comes over to my place to use my connection. I find it rather irritating...

Zach

Problem is every single post in this thread from you guys shares the same IP address. That's a lot of internet downtime on his part.

I already went through this the other day with two other people. However for all I know you're the same person just trying to get traffic to his site. Either way dupe accounts from the same IP are not looked upon lightly as is signing up just to draw attention to some other site, being that this is the only thread and no actual participation in the forum has been going on.

Now obviously L has posted in some other forums but overall isn't very active, whereas your account has been collecting dust since 2005

I try to be tolerant, perhaps to the point of it being a fault. So keep your IP's seperate, and maybe contribute to the community discussions a little (this doesn't mean run out and make a bunch of meaningly replies).

For the time being though I remain a bit suspicious of this whole situation. This falls under the terms of Forum Rule #5 so keep in mind I could have axed you / "both" of you already without any real explanation..

At any rate this is just a courtesy warning.

Last edited:

turokzone

Turok of the Turokzone
Sure. I'll just stop letting him use my connection. (L relies on wireless B for his internet access "through a guy next door to him". sometimes through mine though I give Wireless N. SOMETIMES.
It will stop. Or I'll force Laozing here to simply stop posting and never come back.

turokzone

Turok of the Turokzone
Good news. I just hacked into laozing laptop to make sure he won't come here again. Dude needs to get his own internet connection.... The only way for him to come back is A. go to a public library and use computers there, B. He does get a new ISP, or C. figures out the password.....

there does that help zach?
And you might wanna delete his account.......

Oh and by the way:
Problem is every single post in this thread from you guys shares the same IP address. That's a lot of internet downtime on his part.

I already went through this the other day with two other people. However for all I know you're the same person just trying to get traffic to his site. Either way dupe accounts from the same IP are not looked upon lightly as is signing up just to draw attention to some other site, being that this is the only thread and no actual participation in the forum has been going on.

It's Coicidence that L and I just happened to share an Ip address on every single post. (now I got a story to tell to my friends now.thx)
But as far as drawing attention to some other site. If I read carefully that punk L or laozing wanted an 3rd person opinion on it. Please be aware I wasn't even aware of this till I posted that "wtf....". However now you just gave me a good Idea in advertising my site. thx. I'll try it out soon. if I'm not recieving anyone in a month. As far as only thread alive... At least this site is not gbxemu!

(update) Apparently I told this to my friends and they don't believe me. Can you give me the logs or some proof that laozing and I share the same IP on every single post? appreciate,thx.
Also wasn't read the beginning but u went through two other people on the same thing? what was their purpose? :D

Last edited:

Zach

Sorry, no logs for you. Rest assured I can see the IP of everyone who posts here, sorry if people don't believe it. But that's been a standard feature for forum administrators for years, if not since the beginning of forum software.

You guys aren't banned or in any real trouble right now anyway, so its even more unlikely anyone is gonna let you see logs or screenshots or anything. It's pretty rare to run across two users on the same connection at the same forum, at least it doesn't happen very often here. I can't really prove anything anymore than you guys could prove you're two different people, but the rules are the rules, and they are in my favor.

Go about your business. If you act like two separate people people won't even remember or care about this discussion. If you give us reason to believe otherwise, then whatever happens, is how it goes.

That's my final comment on this issue.

turokzone

Turok of the Turokzone
Excellent. HE still hasn't cracked the password. or lost his laptop to debt.....
You seriously can't give me logs on that specific thing? Damn....
So...uhhh... how IS my site? unfortunately I can't update it right now. (Issues with webhost or server problem) and that really blows...