Emulator Problem: Mame32 - MKII and NBA Jam Sound issues

savj14

I am running Mame32 v106. My issue is when I run MKII the sound level is very low. I go into the Service Menu(F2) and Adjust the Volume. Get back into the game and it is fine. If I exit the game, and go back the sound is low again. So in short in order for the sound to be at the correct level, I always have to go into the Service menu.

Now if I try the latest Mame32 version, this does not happen. The sound level is just fine. The only problem with this version is NBA Jam has some sound issues, as well as a some lag. The sound level is fine, it just seems the quality is a bit off. It has a deeper pitch to it. For example the announcer just doesn't sound right, like he does using v106. His voice is deeper and seems to talk slower. The gameplay is also choppy at times as well. I don't have this issue with v106 either.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a fix for either MKII or NBA Jam? Or what version of Mame32 the MKII issue was fixed? I can try the first fixed version and see if NBA Jam sounds bad.

I am in quite a bind as I regularly play both of these games.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Depends what the specification of the PC you are using is?. Mame had a major re-write from version 0.107 and is much more system intensive. If you're using an older PC, newer versions of mame will suffer from lag, stuttering sound and other performance issues.

As for the 0.106 MKII, I have an original MKII coin op and it doesn't save the volume level settings when you switch it off either so it sounds like mame is simply emulating the machines normal behaviour.

If you do have a fairly modern PC with a decent processor and ram then it could be something simple in your mame settings causing the issue.

There are many variables with mame so without more info its difficult to identify the specific cause of your problem.

savj14

My PC's specs should be more than enough to run most games. P4 HT 3.2 with 2GB of RAM.

Its more of me just being picky and anal about how NBA Jams sounds. So I might just live with having to either Adjust the volume when playing MKII. Or deal with NBA Jam sounding deeper.

Just thought I'd see if anyone else noticed this and had a solution.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Are you running on an LCD monitor?.

If so try enabling triple buffering and the refresh speed option. Sound stuttering where the hardware is fast enough (which yours is) is usually caused by a refresh speed mismatch.

You can also manually tweak the refresh speed by hitting the Tilde key and cycling through the on screen display settings.