Emulator Problem: Slow Speed on PCSX2 Emu

moozer

Hi all,

First time posting here.

Thought I would give the PS2 emulator another try and got hold of Lego Batman.

I was pleasantly surprised to see it worked, however, the game is soo darn slow - virtually unplayable.

Am I missing something?

Using PCSX2

AMD Athlon 64X2 6000+
2GB RAM
Geforce 8600 GT Super 1GB VRAM
Vista Ultimate SP1

The PC is fast enough, so perhaps I need to tweak things in emu configuration?

For some reason I can't start the emulation in virtual mode - any help with that would be appreciated

Cheers!

moozer

AFAIK, Lego Batman is for PSP only. Are you sure it's Lego Batman?

Oh dear!!

Lego Batman is available on all platforms (PC, PS (2,3,PSP), Wii, NDS, Xbox360).

It's not on the compatibility list as it's only been out a few weeks (released 23 September 2008 in USA/ 10 October in Europe)

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Its either an emulation issue due to the newness of the game or your processor.

An A64 X2 is nowhere near as good as a Core2Duo (which is the recommended processor for PCSX2) in terms of pure number crunching ability (which is whats required for emulation).

moozer

Thanks.

Cutscenes, intro's and menus run perfectly - just problem in game. Frame rate is between 15-20fps

I guess I'll try some older games

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
That would be the first way to go. Pick something with good compatibility and if it runs well then you know Lego Batman is an issue with imperfect emulation or the settings.

If the compatible game runs like a dog too then its (probably) bottlenecking your system somewhere.

Chocho

I think I'm not gonne be too popular with this stupid question, but will I have a chance to play GTA:LCS on my PC? The specs:

Mainboard: MSI K9AG Neo-2 Digital
Processor: AMD Athlon X2 4400+
VGA: ATI HD 3870 512 MB GDDR4
Memory: 2 GB DDR II 800 Mhz

I hope I will but from I saw on YouTube, I'm not sure... Maybe the CPU is too weak.

retroguiden

Man of Many Talents
I think I'm not gonne be too popular with this stupid question, but will I have a chance to play GTA:LCS on my PC? The specs:

Mainboard: MSI K9AG Neo-2 Digital
Processor: AMD Athlon X2 4400+
VGA: ATI HD 3870 512 MB GDDR4
Memory: 2 GB DDR II 800 Mhz

I hope I will but from I saw on YouTube, I'm not sure... Maybe the CPU is too weak.

Hard to say. I have similar specs (AX2 4000+, GF8500 500MB, 2GB RAM) and I couldn't get a decent framrate. The best was around 15-25fps but only when there wasn't much happening on-screen. I think you need a better CPU for starters.

Chocho

Hard to say. I have similar specs (AX2 4000+, GF8500 500MB, 2GB RAM) and I couldn't get a decent framrate. The best was around 15-25fps but only when there wasn't much happening on-screen. I think you need a better CPU for starters.

Oh well, then I guess I have to try myself. :) Anyway, thank you the fast awnser!

About my comp, I'm gonna get 4 more gb's of rams and a 6000+ in next month. Perhaps I should wait that...

Chocho

Well, I tried, and I sucked. 1-2 fps in LCS...

But I fell we're getting close for the end. About what I saw I'd say that after a year or a two, we'll be able to play all the PS2 games on a normal PC. :)

(Sry for double posting, I just wanted to update.)

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Oh well, then I guess I have to try myself. :) Anyway, thank you the fast awnser!

About my comp, I'm gonna get 4 more gb's of rams and a 6000+ in next month. Perhaps I should wait that...

Unless you're running 64 bit XP or Vista there's not a lot of point in going higher than 2Gb as it won't use it anyway.

I'm pretty sure PCSX2 won't get anywhere near a playable framerate with that CPU.

You really do need a Core2Duo. For pure number crunching grunt (which is what you need for emulation) there are no other processors that touch them at the mo.

Chocho

Unless you're running 64 bit XP or Vista there's not a lot of point in going higher than 2Gb as it won't use it anyway.

I'm pretty sure PCSX2 won't get anywhere near a playable framerate with that CPU.

You really do need a Core2Duo. For pure number crunching grunt (which is what you need for emulation) there are no other processors that touch them at the mo.

Er... no I don't. :D You see I'm not upgrading for a beta emulator, but for reaching much better performance in PC applications. And yes, I'm gonna use a 64 bit Vista. It's about time.

retroguiden

Man of Many Talents

Actually 3GB is handled fine by 32-bit systems. And Core2Duo or AMD Dual Core processors won't make that much of a difference.

Chocho

Actually 3GB is handled fine by 32-bit systems. And Core2Duo or AMD Dual Core processors won't make that much of a difference.

Well that's the fact. It's okay that the Core2Duo processors are able to do four commands in one clock and the AMD's do only 3 but I would't think that's a much of difference...

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Well that's the fact. It's okay that the Core2Duo processors are able to do four commands in one clock and the AMD's do only 3 but I would't think that's a much of difference...

For PC games and apps that utilise all the different features the difference isn't massive. For emulation that uses pure number crunching the Core2Duo's are in a different league.

retroguiden

Man of Many Talents
For PC games and apps that utilise all the different features the difference isn't massive. For emulation that uses pure number crunching the Core2Duo's are in a different league.

It all depends on where you set your standards I guess. But since I can play PS2 games quite well with my AMD cpu, I would hardly think that it would be worth getting an Intel CPU. Personally I think you're misleading people a bit when you say it like the only choice is an Intel cpu if they want to play PS2. Because that's just not true...

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
It all depends on where you set your standards I guess. But since I can play PS2 games quite well with my AMD cpu, I would hardly think that it would be worth getting an Intel CPU. Personally I think you're misleading people a bit when you say it like the only choice is an Intel cpu if they want to play PS2. Because that's just not true...

Fair enough, although a few posts back I'm sure you said you couldn't get a decent framerate?.

I was an AMD user for years, its not a fanboy issue, its just that currently the Intel chips are leagues ahead of the AMD ones. When that switches back again I'll jump back to AMD, but as it stands at the moment, if someone is going to upgrade then a Core2Duo is the way to go.

retroguiden

Man of Many Talents
Fair enough, although a few posts back I'm sure you said you couldn't get a decent framerate?.

I was an AMD user for years, its not a fanboy issue, its just that currently the Intel chips are leagues ahead of the AMD ones. When that switches back again I'll jump back to AMD, but as it stands at the moment, if someone is going to upgrade then a Core2Duo is the way to go.

I had bad fps in GTA: LCS, but many people have that. So far I've played Kingdom Hearts and a couple of other games without any problems.

Ok, if you say so because you "sound" like a fanboy :p
I've read the comparisons and the reviews. Sure the Intel chips win in those at the moment. And although it's a matter of where you set the bar, I just think that with those reviews in mind you're exaggerating the difference just a little bit. So instead of just stating that people should go out and buy an Intel cpu, you could stop for a moment and analyse the situation to see if there's no way their already hard spent AMD might do the trick - at least for some games. It's a much more fair answer to the noobs coming here asking for advice.

now, I've said my piece. let's go on to the next question/thread, shall we? ;)

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
No probs, but its just as bad your way as the forums will fill up with support threads from lots of people asking how to make this that or the other run when in most cases it won't work. All it does is waste people's time and frustrate users who are being told their hardware is ok, when in many cases and many configurations...its not and there is no workable solution for them.

According to the devs I've spoken to, for things like PCSX2 and some of the higher end games in Mame, for the moment at least a reasonable Core2Duo 'is' the only reliable solution, its got nothing to do with 'liking' Intel or AMD, I personally couldn't care less who makes the chips, all the companies are as pointlessly corporate as one another but I won't advise people to keep trying with hardware that's unlikely to give them the results they are looking for.

retroguiden

Man of Many Talents
But if I am a noob and ask the generic question "Can I play PS2 games on my AMD rig?", I would be more helped by the answer "You can play a select few, many are not playable at all and the best results you get with Intel cpu's".
The answer "Forget it unless you get Intel CPU's" really is a big lie and doesn't help the person asking the question.

I think most of the people that come here asking why a PS2 game doesn't work are more interested in knowing that some games might work rather than "for things like PCSX2 and some of the higher end games in Mame, for the moment at least a reasonable Core2Duo 'is' the only reliable solution".

The people you are referring to when you say "lots of people asking how to make this that or the other run when in most cases it won't work." will still come here regardless of what we tell them.

It's really easy to say:
1. Check the minimum specs (which by the way do NOT state Intel - just dual core)
2. Check the compatability list (maybe the most important one)
3. Be prepared that PS2 emulation is a (early) work in progress and that things might not work even if logic dictates it.

In fact, these pointers should be made into a "Sticky". Maybe that will get rid of the ones that don't have a clue.

"I won't advise people to keep trying with hardware that's unlikely to give them the results they are looking for."

No, but you could give them the whole picture and let them decide for themselvesif they want to continue to try. As I've said before. I play PS2 games on my AMD hardware and I think it's fair to tell people that there are possibilities. And it's not as if we can't tell wether they could be able to play or not when tehy give us there specs.