The mojave experiment

Zach

Microsoft really hit the nail on the head with their new windows campaign.

Of course the Mac / Linux fanatics are going nuts (Wow engadget, cry any more?) and trying to claim (paraphrashing here) "this was all some miraculously lie constructed by MS and trained saleman giving a 10 minute demo to fool people"

Why can't people just accept the fact that Vista is a perfectly good and capable OS? All the points raised by the people calling out Engadget are solid ones too.. Yes Vista had a rocky start, but MS has been working hard to improve it and deserves just a little credit for a change.. You can't blame Vista for bad drivers, Programs that don't work right because they haven't been updated to new standards, be it the access rights (cause of all those annoying UAC prompts everyone disables), or are just plain buggy.

The way the anti-Vista Apple handjob-ers are crying reminds me of Democratic politics.. Demonize demonize demonize, and when someone tries to show you up and disprove common misconceptions, by showing most people who won't try/use/ and who bash Vista.. Have never even USED it because all they heard was word of mouth from someone else who likewise has never used it - they cry some more..

Jale

I had the chance to test Vista with Service Pack 1 and it conviced me of its stability, so I believe you. But the idea of taking lots of GB for this update and the mega resources eating, well, that doesn't make anyone happy.

Zach

Vista required a substantial amount of RAM from the start, and I really haven't had too many problems with it with 4gb of RAM. RAM prices today are so ridiculously cheap and historically on par with what people could afford for guaranteed performance in the past anyway. RAM used to be one of the biggest worries about cost when upgrading, but when you can get 4GB for roughly $100 USD or less (even if it aint DDR3) I'd say overall it should be a non-issue.

Last edited:

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
The Mojave here reminds me of the first release of Windows 98 (a nice few unexpected glitches here and there, making it quite rocky in fact), for the release of the "SE" patch pretty much steered the next generation of software back onto the tracks, as proven to be one of the most stable and reliable operating system of its time. Guess if Microsoft did it once, I'm sure they will do it again, as we seen many times before. We probably just need to give it some time - though never really understood why the scraping of the software that already worked, but only start over instead of "tweaking" what was already done and to perfect it for the next generation of PC usage (other then to force the next big thing while sliming our wallets)...

Last edited:

Zach

I kind of understand your post... but then I don't :confused:

It sounds like you think there is actually a Windows version called Mojave, and drawing a comparison between it and 98/98se.. In which case I'd say you're confused

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
I kind of understand your post... but then I don't :confused:

It sounds like you think there is actually a Windows version called Mojave, and drawing a comparison between it and 98/98se.. In which case I'd say you're confused

Ah, keywords pal:

Desert Drifter said:
The Mojave .... reminds me .... of Windows 98

Basically using Windows 98 ("Second Edition" in fact) as the comparison to Windows Vista (the current "Mojave"), while pointing out that in time it will work out - as this problem ("questionable of being capable") has been known and tackled once before and probably will be tacked once again...

Last edited:

Jale

CRAP --> GOOD

Windows 98 --> Windows 98 SE.
Windows XP --> Windows XP SP2/SP3.
Windows Vista --> Windows Vista SP1.

That's what I understood.

cibomatto2002

Windows 10
So Vista is Better now Then tell me why is Windows 7 BETA all ready on the torrents ?

Hrothgar

I'm not sure if this topic is to debate Vista's integrity or not, but what I have to say doesn't really have to do with whether or not Vista is a good OS. What I want to talk about the commercials for both Microsoft and Apple. They both thoroughly annoy me.

First you have apple, who just basically talks about "hey, I can do photoshop.... Hey, I can do photoshop... Hey, I can listen to music!", which annoys the crap out of me for obvious reasons. Y'know, windows can do both of those things, it's not very hard. I mean, in one of the commercials the Mac guy basically just talks about going outside and spending time with his family. Like, okay, why do you need a Mac for that? In fact, why do you need any computer for that?

Now, Let's talk about the windows commercials. Now, I do kind of like the fact that they don't spend the commercial bashing Mac. But at the same time, the commercials have NOTHING to do with Vista or Windows. It basically just shows a 'playful' side of Bill Gates to convice people he isn't an uptight guy. This confuses the crap out of me, cause I don't know about other people but the last thing I think about when working on a windows machine is how cool Bill Gates is. I could really care less.

Anyways, to come to a point. It doesn't matter which OS I like more, both commercials are annoying. It's like presidential slander campaigns. It doesn't matter whether it's a candidate I like or not, whenever I see one of their commercials they annoy the hell out of me.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
hmmmm, almighty vista may be, i still rather have windows xp or me, because those are the ones that im most familiar with.

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
I'm not sure if this topic is to debate Vista's integrity or not, but what I have to say doesn't really have to do with whether or not Vista is a good OS. What I want to talk about the commercials for both Microsoft and Apple. They both thoroughly annoy me.

. . . .

Anyways, to come to a point. It doesn't matter which OS I like more, both commercials are annoying. It's like presidential slander campaigns. It doesn't matter whether it's a candidate I like or not, whenever I see one of their commercials they annoy the hell out of me.

They call that "stereo-typing" - to "make" and "force" it to appeal to the audience, but hate to tell them: it's making it that much worse... ;)

EDIT: Just to add, these are "attempts" to be "jive" or "hip" (however you may call it), as of making Bill Gates "gnarly" or "cooool" quote: "....I want one too dude!..." while appealing the Mac to the "nerds" quote: "...hey - look at me I'm a calm-cool-collective guy who just came out of the cave...",which is all total B.S in my opinion, though there's many out there that are pretty stupid to fall for it - not thinking for themselves...

Forget the commercials - their garbage, basic "bashings" and "sladerings" as you may call it. What you have doesn't make whom you are... ;)

Last edited:

Zach

What are these windows commercials featuring bill gates tho?

The only time I recently saw Bill Gates on TV was a commercial with Jerry Seinfeld that was either for American Express or a shoe store, or something..

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
The biggest problem with Vista seems to have been people upgrading to it on their existing hardware. On a modern machine its perfectly good, if your PC is 2 or 3 years old (or older though) with 1Gb or less Ram its probably better to stick with XP until you upgrade your hardware.

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..

The only time I recently saw Bill Gates on TV was a commercial with Jerry Seinfeld that was either for American Express or a shoe store, or something..

I was simply referring the young man representing "Microsoft" (hence Bill Gates) as hip and fresh with today's world while the man in his forties representing "Mac" as old-school and outdated...

In other words: "stereo-typing" equaling: B.S

Last edited:

Jale

I'm now trying Vista with my new hardware. So far so good... except I'm having driver issues with Second Life :dry:

But overall, it's good.

Corey4666

The biggest problem with Vista seems to have been people upgrading to it on their existing hardware. On a modern machine its perfectly good, if your PC is 2 or 3 years old (or older though) with 1Gb or less Ram its probably better to stick with XP until you upgrade your hardware.

I agree with this, If you are going to install vista you need more current hardware. I just custom built a PC with windows vista 64bit Its not that bad of a OS, Though it uses 900mb - 1000mb of ram at all times. I have 4 gigs of ram installed which does the trick nicely and I have never maxed out all 4 gigs.

onewecallgod

I'm sure a lot of the bashing comes from the fact that Vista was marketed as some super duper, cancer curing, boner inducing new operating system when it clearly wasn't. If they just had said that it was an XP refresh with better memory management, prettier GUI and 64 bit that actually works, it probably would've been recieved much better.

The reason why Vista "uses" a lot of ram isn't because it's actually using it for the operating system; it's using it as a giant cache for better performance. If you have 3gb of ram for XP, the OS and whatever background apps you're running (firewall, AV...etc) use only about 250mb, so that leaves 2.75gb left over which sits idle. Instead of letting that 2.75gb sit there doing nothing, Vista will fill that up with pre-execution stuff, just like the L1, L2 and L3 cache on your CPU do.

Last edited:

Mavtak

CRAP --> GOOD

Windows 98 --> Windows 98 SE.
Windows XP --> Windows XP SP2/SP3.
Windows Vista --> Windows Vista SP1.

That's what I understood.

Actually, Vista SP1 was just an excuse for people who previously said that Vista was shit to change their opinion without appearing like they were previously simply following the croud's opinion. At any rate, SP1 is good.

Hrothgar

Yeah, that's the one I'm talking about, it annoys me. They have a new one with Seinfeld and Bill Gates that annoys me too. It's not that I dislike either of them, its just really phony. Though they still don't annoy me as much Mac's commercials.

Although, I gotta admit, Microsoft has a new commercial that more directly talks about Mac's commercials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkZdkHylJ3w

I actually like this one.