The Best Gaming Consol...

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
There's been topics entitled "What are you playing right now?", "Your Favorite Games Of All Time...", "Your Most Memorible Boss Fights...", "Which Is The Best Game You Played Ever?", "Who's Your Favorite Old School Character?", and "Whats your favorite Old school games No one Else seems to care about?", but none of mentioning your favorite gaming consol of them all...

So, what is it?

- The Super Nintendo
As standing next to the Nintendo 64, it was my very first "owned" gaming consol while friends had the NES or Sega Geneses, I had the Super NES, but one thing's for sure: they were over my house. ;) Between the numerous titles, as of fighters, shooters, RPGs, and even a few from the arcades, it was a blast. We would rent a couple of multiplayers at the end of every week, such as "King of The Monsters", "Mortal Kombat", etc. and stay up for endless hours with potato chips and soda cans piling around us. Those where the memories, while Nintendo made it possible - from 1991 to 1997. This would make my most favorable gaming consol of all time...

+ Personal Favs: (Optional)

*Brain Lord
*Chrono Trigger
*King of The Monsters
*Kirby's Dream Course
*Magic Sword
*Mario Paint
*Shadow Run
*Soul Blazer
*Super Mario All Stars
*Super Mario RPG: Legend of The Seven Stars
*Super Mario World
*Super Metroid
*Yoshi's Island
*Zelda: Link To The Past

Have fun & happy gaming... ;)

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Mario Paint
LOL dork..

Ya I second snes. Metroid, zelda, battle toads..

Ahh I remember it so frigged well...

There I was standing in between my destiny and my ... well mom.

Laying my eyes upon that resplendent graphic display of color. Seeing a kupa walk past a cube and comparing it to the legendary nes. His shell gleaming at me, with vivid reds and green shades I never knew existed. Mario in all his definition and clarity. Graphics, animation, sprite that were like candy to the eyes. I take a step closer.. Backgrounds full of detail, sounds more cripst then before and a controller... What not 2 but 4 buttons.. whats this.. shoulder buttons.. no hard edges, so ergonomically fitting for a true gamer... As I take my last step breaths away from my destiny my gaze is disrupted to an ever echoing phrase.. " not till Christmas "

oh wait now who is the dork...

Last edited:

Calixo

i have to say, although i agree that the older consoles were good, specially for the abilities they had, but the tech were getting into for the next gen consoles is just so much more intense that what we had 20 years ago, or even 5 years ago.

The 360, and even the PS3(although not so much the PS3, since Sony's ability to produce a lot of games, and to take advantage of the power those consoles have wasn't very good) have just so much more to offer, bigger games due to the systems ability to use more data, project even more graphic and detailed environments, and to enhance the gaming experiance for the play, has made it so in my opinion, although PS1 was good, and no one can shizz on the Super Nintendo. the 360 and others, and the consoles of the future, will just get better and better and better...

hell, i can't wait till i can actually be put into a game and be the FPS character or whatever.

JoshM22

The very first console my Dad bought me was an SNES. I was so young when i got it i didn't know what the hell it was. Naturally the SNES is and always will be my favorite console of all time. I still have it too. The games i have are Mortal Kombat II, Jurassic Park,Zelda: A link to the Past,Top Gear 2,Killer Instinct (Black Cartridge edition),Super Metroid, and Super Mario 3. Not much of a collection, but it worked for me back in the day.

The new consoles have some mind blowing graphics. The new titles like Fall Out 3 and Reistance 2 just look like you could reach out and touch the aliens in the game. Yes the graphics are that good. I can't imagine how games are going to look within the next 5-10 years. As far as a favorite next gen console PS3 takes the cake.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
its all about the Nintendo64 for me,
- on that topic.. Personally I though the controller was very ergonomic ( most disagree) . I also though the 3d was the best I have seen. granted the system was a bit memory challenged and was not the best graphically but all in all I enjoyed that system. I use that controller for mame over the psx style also. I think the only downfall was the limited games, but I think it may have to do with ultraHLE ( speculation ).. They were emulating by 2000, during production. I rememebr playing zelda on my PC when my friend was playing on the console side by side.

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
PSP. Not for the official games that have been released but for what hackers (White/grey hats) have unlocked.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
- on that topic.. Personally I though the controller was very ergonomic ( most disagree) . I also though the 3d was the best I have seen. granted the system was a bit memory challenged and was not the best graphically but all in all I enjoyed that system. I use that controller for mame over the psx style also. I think the only downfall was the limited games, but I think it may have to do with ultraHLE ( speculation ).. They were emulating by 2000, during production. I rememebr playing zelda on my PC when my friend was playing on the console side by side.

Yeah, but despite all that, its still the best, in my opinion,

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
its all about the Nintendo64 for me,

+

Yeah, but despite all that, its still the best, in my opinion,

I agree – the N64 was a remarkable system, they really pushed the envelope with their impressive “next-of-the-line” piece of hardware in 1996, while I was one of many to be the first to buy it ($650 at the time) along with Super Mario 64 ($70) and LoZ: Ocarina of Time ($85) – (though wished for seven years long years of a release of a Metroid and Mario Bros., but never to shed light). Damn, this was probably the most anticipated system of all time with experimental releases and endless mutiplayers (though right, maybe the graphics were a bit polygraphical, but I didn’t care, it was a blast). A few friends and me partied all night long – for those were the times of the “next big thing”. Of course the controls were pretty “un-user friendly” (as Ulao states above) being quite “touchy”, though Nintendo did improve with their next types (Gamecube - taking the system was what really needed improvement…). But – yes, that’s right – the SNES was what really grabbed my attention, the “eye-candy” Ulao was talking about, that made me buy it after of two years being on the shelf. I was never really crazy about the 8-bit NES nor the 32-bit Sega Geneses, for my attitude was “I already have an Atari and I’m not a Sonic fan, what’s the big deal” plus taking I can just play over a friends’. Because of the SNES, the N64 was a definite consideration, otherwise I would of just "ignored" Nintendo just as I did with Sega and Playstation. Anyhow, my N64 shares the shelf along with my SNES, being the two systems that hit the “milestone” of gaming…

Last edited:

retroguiden

Man of Many Talents
Personally I think N64 was one of the worst game consoles ever. Bad graphics, poor catalogue of games. Weird game pad... Yuck. but hey, I don't mind if you like it.

My favourite console would probably have to be the 16-bit Sega Megadrive/Genesis. Not for Sonic, mind you, but for sheer speed and games catalogue. The Snes lacked speed, The NES comes close but the graphics were often very bad and the Master System had too few games to really be considered.

Close second would be Sony Playstation.

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
Personally I think N64 was one of the worst game consoles ever. Bad graphics, poor catalogue of games. Weird game pad... Yuck. but hey, I don't mind if you like it.

My favourite console would probably have to be the 16-bit Sega Megadrive/Genesis. Not for Sonic, mind you, but for sheer speed and games catalogue. The Snes lacked speed, The NES comes close but the graphics were often very bad and the Master System had too few games to really be considered.

True, Nintendo has always been "behind" on the bit wise (as someone I knew back in 97 stated...), but really depends on taste. While you may be a hard-core shooter/fighter kind of guy, I'm the platform scroller kind of guy. Don't get me wrong, Geneses was okay and don't have anything against Sonic, I just prefer Nintendo. While the 32-bit Sega and over 68-bit Playstation One had better improved graphics, Nintendo was there first in line... ;)

JoshM22

Oh yeah by the way. Thanks for your approval on the fact that i can like the Nintendo 64. Thanks DAD!

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member

hmmmmm, i dont know what you mean by bad graphics, you see some exellent graphics in games like Majoras Mask, and on the catalogue of games, they had plenty of games, alot of them were exellent, and i was perfectly comfortable with the Controller, always made me feel at home ^.^

albertjames

Reviews agree that the PlayStation 3 is technologically superior to the Xbox 360 -- at least on paper. However, the same experts also say that it's going to take years for game developers to really take advantage of the PS3's horsepower. Right now, reviews say graphics quality and realism for PS3 and Xbox 360 are equally excellent. Also, Xbox has a much larger library of games. Both systems can play games in high-def if you have an HDTV.
---------------------
albertjames
Lifetime ads

retroguiden

Man of Many Talents
True, Nintendo has always been "behind" on the bit wise (as someone I knew back in 97 stated...), but really depends on taste. While you may be a hard-core shooter/fighter kind of guy, I'm the platform scroller kind of guy. Don't get me wrong, Geneses was okay and don't have anything against Sonic, I just prefer Nintendo. While the 32-bit Sega and over 68-bit Playstation One had better improved graphics, Nintendo was there first in line... ;)

Oh, back then I was a platform kind of guy too. And I do have something against Sonic. But looking at the consoles from a broader perspective I like Sega's consoles better. Anyone remember the slogan: (Sega does what Nintendon't). :D

Oh yeah by the way. Thanks for your approval on the fact that i can like the Nintendo 64. Thanks DAD!

Well, if you're acting like a child, I can certainly treat you like one from now on...? :dry:

hmmmmm, i dont know what you mean by bad graphics, you see some exellent graphics in games like Majoras Mask, and on the catalogue of games, they had plenty of games, alot of them were exellent, and i was perfectly comfortable with the Controller, always made me feel at home ^.^

For its time the graphics were not very good. The resolution is too low. Doesn't have enough memory. The cartridge can't hold high-res textures etc.
Compared to other consoles of its time, heck, compared to the previous Nintendo consoles it didn't come close to the number of quality titles. And the number of titles overall were not that many, again, compared to other consoles.

Having enjoyed the success with NES and SNES, the N64 was a failure for Nintendo. It was cheap, it still had cartridges, the memory was too small (until they released the expansion pack) etc.

Sorry, you could be as nostalgic as you want about it but I can't disregard these facts when I name the best console ever.

Last edited:

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
well, determining the best gaming console ever is really a matter of preference, so, in actuality, every console can be the best one ever, just matters what we like better,:)

THANAMELESS

The Unknown
i don't know if somebody already said it, but i think the pc:happy:... you might wonder what the hack are you doing here?:mad: but i am now more used to other consoles. but i always used to play RTS games wich works best on the pc. but now i like platformers the most

retroguiden

Man of Many Talents
i don't know if somebody already said it, but i think the pc:happy:... you might wonder what the hack are you doing here?:mad: but i am now more used to other consoles. but i always used to play RTS games wich works best on the pc. but now i like platformers the most

Well, a PC is *not* a console so...