PDA

View Full Version : The car of the future

Lefteris_D
September 14th, 2004, 20:38
I believe that it is coing to be something that uses a form of clean fuel. If that is the case the electric/solar powered is my prime candidate.

What do you think?

hitmonlee
September 15th, 2004, 06:31
first!

onewecallgod
September 15th, 2004, 06:54
how about a car that runs on piss. now THAT would be useful

Lefteris_D
September 15th, 2004, 08:03
Some people have considered that option.

nesman
September 16th, 2004, 00:31
LOL!!!

Motoko
September 16th, 2004, 01:57
U need a flux capacitor to use piss, thats what Doc used on his car.

Badger
September 16th, 2004, 18:15
Car of the future will almost certainly be hydrogen fueled.

Lefteris_D
September 16th, 2004, 18:32
Some people recommend water powered cars that simply break the water to hydrogen and oxygen. The output should be pure oxygen as the hydrogen will be used as fuel.

Badger
September 16th, 2004, 19:55
wouldn't it be wiser to use the oxygen to help combust the hydrogen? then the output is water again.

Lefteris_D
September 16th, 2004, 21:14
Tell it to them not me.

Zach
September 17th, 2004, 00:32
What happens when you get into a wreck though

Do you and the rest of the highway burst into flames for 3 square miles ??

Lefteris_D
September 17th, 2004, 06:49
To be exact..... yes. Both mine and Badger's solutions could result in a small nuclear explosion. Is that a problem? :rolleyes:

onewecallgod
September 17th, 2004, 06:53
since hydrogen power is being so heavily developed, i'm sure theyve addressed this problem and have a solution.... at least they better

El Fugitivo
September 17th, 2004, 07:18
I'm sure there will be cars that are relatively safe to drive (i.e., tanks, '67 Impalas) and ones that will explode at the slightest fender-bender (i.e. Gremlins, Pintos). It's all about containment and armor-plating.

WellWellWell
September 18th, 2004, 16:01
Containment! That's what I was thinking. They could probably put the engine in a box that would contain the explosion somewhat.

Or they could just let all those speed-racer kids die in horrible car accidents.

Buhutz
September 18th, 2004, 16:29
Or one day they will create roads layered with electric magnet and the car with the opposite pole of the magnet so the car will float and be pushed forward :D.

Jale
November 21st, 2004, 01:14
Clean fuel. Electric is so slow, or maybe a flying one :lol:

Techman
November 21st, 2004, 15:06
Originally posted by JAPPsmash@Nov 21 2004, 02:14 AM
Clean fuel. Electric is so slow, or maybe a flying one :lol:
Even flying cars need gas

SladeXR
November 21st, 2004, 18:04
It'll probably look like a science report, but water breakdown consumes so much energy that you need a power plant connected to your car if you want to use water. On the other hand hydrogen is hard to come by since it flew off in space long time ago, pushed away by oxygen and other gasses. To produce hydrogen from water you need alot of electrical power and thus it becomes economically unprofitable. The alternative is the biotech way - bacteria used to produce hydrogen, but so far at very low rate. In my opinion the future is nuclear power :D. The problem is that car would weight 5-10 tons.

Jale
November 21st, 2004, 18:10
The problem is that car would weight 5-10 tons.
You're right, it'll require a lot of power to lift a car of that weight, unless they use an anti-gravity stuff... :rolleyes:

Corey4666
December 6th, 2004, 12:48
:lol:

Zidane
December 6th, 2004, 14:12
well i wonder if it is even profitable to keep cars, especially if we find a new resourse for feul, even if we do get off the oil industry it will still be deeply involved. oil is in our plastics and rubber materials and even in our food. so regardless a future car is highly improbable. so regardless i don't think cars will last properly for another hundered years. nor any other oil processed quantity.

Jet Set Willy
December 6th, 2004, 20:55
"Anti-gravity stuff" uses power too. You don't lift something without putting energy in.

Oil will be around and destroying the Earth unless something drastic happens in America and certain middle East countries. Even if perfect nuclear fusion could be achieved economically, oil produce wouldn't decrease - too many countries political and corporate systems rely on it.

1337 Hacker
December 7th, 2004, 01:14
car that runs on fry grease

Zidane
December 7th, 2004, 14:12
Actually statistics provide us with the fact that we are right now coming to the margin of the oil prices and how much it costs to mine oil. In about 35 years it is said that we will depleate all our oil reserves. It is possible to mine oil from other things like sand and such but economically speaking it will cost them more to mine the oil from sand then finding oil wells. They won't get any profit from the oil they sell. and if they were to mine it this way it would be like thirty dollars a litre just to stay above the oil mining/profit ratio. So dont expect oil to be around too much longer, even with all these corprate and political systems rely on it.

Ans perfect nuclear fusion is too far off, and too easily manipulated for destruction to be properly used.

And cars that run off vegitative oils are already out there.

hitmonlee
December 7th, 2004, 14:32
Originally posted by Zidane@Dec 7 2004, 09:12 PM
And cars that run off vegitative oils are already out there.
they smell like fish and chips and are driven by hippies :D

Zidane
December 11th, 2004, 09:19
Too true

But they guzzle it faster then anything.

And get this the cheapest vegitation oils come from hemp. So if we want some good clean vegitation oils then were gonna need a lot of hemp. :D

Jale
December 11th, 2004, 14:01
It may sound stupid, but the perpetual energy is another point...

TiredBoy
December 12th, 2004, 10:20
Whatever happened to "Beam me up, Scotty!"?

Near-future: Hybrids
Later: I'm tempted to say hydrogen, but I'm underinformed and an idiot to boot. Whee. Who cares what I think?

Jet Set Willy
December 12th, 2004, 10:40
It hasn't stoppped most people in this thread.

"Perpetual energy is another point". Christ...

Zach
December 12th, 2004, 11:02
Perpetual motion energy is good for like.. barely powering a watch or something.

You just need to carry around huge ass inneficient mechanisms and you're all set.

Jet Set Willy
December 12th, 2004, 11:06
Perpetual motion and perpetual energy are impossible concepts. The amount of energy in the entire universe is a constant according by mc^2 + free energy. That is, all of the energy in the universe amounts to the amount of mass and existing energy. The amount of mass changes, and the amount of energy changes, but the amount of mass and energy doesn't.

I think you might be thinking of kinetically charged watches which use your body's own movement energy, Neco. I think those are rather cool.

Zach
December 12th, 2004, 16:10
I saw the crap on mythbusters, they were busting free energy concepts, and I know that was one of them. Interesting, but still stupid

I vote for nuclear power.