Common game Emulation interface for Windows

BrutalB

BrutalB
Hey all,

I'm planning on developing an interface for any game on any platform, by using existing emulators.

I'm not sure if there is any existing software serving the same purpose? If there is, please let me know! And I'm new to this site so I didn't read through all of the threads before posting this so please don't be mean if there is previous threads holding the answer to my question...

I want to use this project to serve as a part of another project I have - an arcade machine. Basically, I'll build the whole computer setup into a wooden box.

Please feel free to give advice and critique.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
There's:

Mamewah
Mala
GameEx
AtomicFE
3DArcade
Emuloader
OfflineList

And many others.

Quite a lot of people have made arcade/emulator in a box setups. Check out BYOAC for some excellent examples.

I would also recommend getting a copy of the Project Arcade book if its your first time building a cab.

Best of luck with your project.

There's a vid of my very first mamecab Here if you want to get an idea. Its pretty basic as it was my first attempt but it shows the kind of thing that can be done.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
BrutalB, there are hundreds of multi emulator front ends. but IMO only one suffice. QuickPlay... The reason.. it supports real time reading of 7z archives. The project was left abandon. I tried to continue it but I could not get far with Delphi being a c++ guy :mad: but if you are interested in cloning it let me know I have lots of advice and a huge following.

Good luck.

btw: other front ends

LusSpace FE
game ex
ArcadEPIC
AtomicFE
BridgeM1
Emu Loader
Maximus Arcade Frontend

Last edited:

BrutalB

BrutalB
ulaoulao I was thinking about using C# for the project so we are in the same boat :) though I think its a great idea to use real-time 7z reading... I'll check the project out now...

Is there any specific problem you encountered while trying to continue the project, except the programming language gap?

BrutalB

BrutalB
does any of these front ends support a type of mode for ex. the person modifying the game database, and a general user that can only see the games?

BrutalB

BrutalB
I want to have the common user of the "arcade machine" separate from the administrative user, so that the computer starts with the pre-configured list of games and hides all settings related to the emulators and front end.

BrutalB

BrutalB
Then I have reason to develop my own :)

Not all people are comfortable with setting up well basically anything on a computer, so I am looking for the ultimate level of user friendliness and simplicity in the front end...

Someone could set up the arcade machine and then anyone wanting to play can just browse through the list and play whatever game they see, whatever platform, without even seeing the configuration tools in a customized interface.

I have learned that one of the main reasons why people tend to be scared of breaking something, is because they are not comfortable with the GUI and overall user interface layout. People are scared of the operating system. If you hide the operating system totally, from startup to shutdown, then it would surely be more easy to use for someone with little to no computer experience.

By 'hiding', I imply customizing. For example, choosing a custom boot screen, custom log on screen and using a custom shell - instead of the default layout.

What do you all think of this idea?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Not all people are comfortable with setting up well basically anything on a computer, so I am looking for the ultimate level of user friendliness and simplicity in the front end...
- Al others do that just dont lock the user out? Just dont open the option menu.....

I have learned that one of the main reasons why people tend to be scared of breaking something, is because they are not comfortable with the GUI and overall user interface layout. People are scared of the operating system. If you hide the operating system totally, from startup to shutdown, then it would surely be more easy to use for someone with little to no computer experience.
Hmm. work for m$ by any chance?? Granted, lots of people are like that but 99% just stay away from the menus that let them brake stuff.. Why be like the software giant and cripple something.. The majority of front ends out there have a gui interface. They all look nice, and are easy to use. The config menus are there but on a as needed basis.

What do you all think of this idea?
- Still dont see the need to lock someone out.. At worst I would make a warning *** warning - changing your configuration could impair your software ***.

eh, what ever works for ya..

Last edited:

BrutalB

BrutalB
Ok you made a valid point, I'll go ahead and ignore the advice ;) just kidding. All in all, if I were to consider implementing my idea, it could take a few months to complete since I'm a full-time student and don't have much time for hobby projects...

Thanks for the info!

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
I want to have the common user of the "arcade machine" separate from the administrative user, so that the computer starts with the pre-configured list of games and hides all settings related to the emulators and front end.

You can set things like mamewah up so it boots on startup straight into the games list. All the controls are user definable so you could easily just map the navigation, start and exit controls to an arcade CP and have all the admin functions and menu's mapped to other buttons only accessible from a keyboard either inside the cab or that needs to be plugged in. That way the end user only gets to navigate the games lists, and start and exit games.

So the end user only see's things like this:

zsnestd4.jpg

gngmameap5.jpg

While only the admin has access to this:
mamewahcfgpo0.jpg

Try downloading the example vid in my first post to see it working.

Last edited: