HP begs AMD PC owners to put XP SP3 on ice

cibomatto2002

Windows 10
Hewlett-Packard has told customers not to install Windows XP service pack three (SP3) on AMD-based desktops until Microsoft and HP cough fixes to the endless reboot snafu that has wreaked havoc on PCs.

Read more here.

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/05/16/hp_xp_sp3_amd/

How many of you have AMD ?

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
I have a Compaq Laptop with an AMDsempron.
I installed SP3, but I haven't noticed any problems

cibomatto2002

Windows 10
And here is the fix good thing to I had this problem :(

Fixes

Prevents a condition from occurring that causes continuous system restarts or "Stop: 0x0000007E" errors after upgrading to Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 on systems with an AMD processor.

Example:"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer...

System Requirements

# You must be logged on as an administrator to install this update.
# You must own an HP Pavilion, Presario or Media Center with Windows XP and an AMD processor.
# You must install this update prior to applying Windows XP SP3 update.

Release Date: 2008-05-14 Version: 1.0

Description

Microsoft Windows XP SP3 Upgrade Utility prevents continuous system restarts or "Stop: 0x0000007E" errors after upgrading to Windows XP SP3 on systems with AMD processors.

Fixes

Prevents a condition from occurring that causes continuous system restarts or "Stop: 0x0000007E" errors after upgrading to Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 on systems with an AMD processor.

Example:"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer...

Installation Instructions

1. Click the Download Only button.
2. At the File Download screen, click the Save button.
3. At the Save As screen, save the file to your Desktop.
4. If a message appears stating that the file already exists, click YES to overwrite file.
5. Double-click the icon for the update downloaded to your desktop, and then click NEXT.
6. Follow on-screen instructions.
7. If prompted to restart the system upon completion of the update, click YES and allow system to restart.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...softwareitem=pv-60484-1&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
MAybe there is a problem, because 3 days after I installed SP3 my computer just completely fucked up. I eventually had to format my hardrive.

PS. I did not do anything else that would have caused the problems

Jale

MAybe there is a problem, because 3 days after I installed SP3 my computer just completely fucked up. I eventually had to format my hardrive.

PS. I did not do anything else that would have caused the problems
That's why I hate labeled (original) PCs. Mine is a clone.

Jale

I meant branded PCs (I didn't have the word at the time). You know, Compaq, HP, Gateway, Dell, etc. I admit they work great, but they're a big pain in the ass to service (I'm a computer technician).

spotanjo3

Oh I see..

I prefer assembled...probably because, you can build practically the same equipment as a branded one for cheaper and more powerful than any branded computer out there. So basically, self-built computers is the best. Cheaper.... Customized.... Looks coolor.... And has nicer stuff in it.... what more could you want:)

Last edited:

Zach

These days, branded PC's are typically offered at superior prices than a PC put together by yourself. It is an unfortunately reality many seem to want to overlook on purpose.

The fact of the matter is, the PC market is more saturated with PCs now than ever, and deals are made for phoenominal pricing in the typical user range. With very few exceptions, it is usually cheaper to get a brand name PC these days.

That doesn't make them better of course, but I felt this should be pointed out.

FalconYT

Buying a computer at Walmart or Best Buy is good for some people and these companies market towards that.. However people who build their own systems I would say would never revert to buying one of these "cookie cutter" systems.. You can still put a computer together that is better than buying one of those off the shelf... The part that is going to even up the price is buying a copy of Vista, XP or whatever software you need.... That puts the price up there quick...

These major manufacturers get bulk pricing from MS and wham a $400 computer with Vista Premium... MMmmm... Also a bunch of added on software to make it look enticing to the customer.. Just wish they told their customers that most of that great bundled software is a 90 day trial.. :)

I generally don't bother with major service packs unless I am having issues... Don't try and fix it if it's not broken I'd say... I've kept my XP machines at SP2..

onewecallgod

These days, branded PC's are typically offered at superior prices than a PC put together by yourself. It is an unfortunately reality many seem to want to overlook on purpose.
For the most part, this seems true only for lower end budget systems below $500. Systems over $1k are easily best built by yourself for way cheaper than prebuilts.