n00b-ish questions for my setup...

mikerom

Alright everyone - hello to all, I'm new here, and I hope this topic isn't too much of a pain in the ass to anyone.

I used to be really into emulators (mostly MAME, Nesticle, and a Gameboy emulator), but my system has changed, my controller changed, and I'm just getting back into it again.

Predominantly, I'm into Nintendo titles (but all my questions are really towards any of the emulators/platforms).

Okay, so I'm on a machine, running vista professional, and plenty of memory, and what not. All my old emulation tools are pretty out of date (it's been years since I played em), and they either seem buggy on my new system, or slow (contra last night took forever to move through the first level). I also just got an Xbox 360 controller to replace my old controller that no longer had windows support.

I noticed one problem in nesticle also had to do with color, and the setup of it, because while I could use my controller, I couldn't really tell what I was doing in setting up the buttons, because it was black spots on a black background and couldnt really calibrate right.

So I'm just wondering what would be the best emulators for me? I'd prefer for the screens to stay on my desktop, and not maximize my resolution, so I could still pause and do other things if need be, I'm not sure if all emulators support that.

Thanks for bearing with me, any and all tips and directions are appreciated!

Mike

jpcline004

Gaijin
So I'm just wondering what would be the best emulators for me? I'd prefer for the screens to stay on my desktop, and not maximize my resolution, so I could still pause and do other things if need be, I'm not sure if all emulators support that.

imo Nestopia is the best NES emulator out there. its available on the main EZ site. It is capable of the above.

spotanjo3

Well, VirtuaNES is definitely for me.

Therefore, I would only consider three emulators,

FCE Ultra is the easiest to use and has excellent menu options for graphics and sound.

VirtuaNES is best for Famicom games, supports a wide variety of Famicom peripherals, allows you to construct ROM lists and has excellent FDS support and run better on slower system, and is good choice for a system that cannot handle the more accurate Nestopia.

Nintendulator is by far the most accurate NES emulator, playing virtually every single game perfectly. It is geared towards development and research, but can still be made to function well enough to play games. Requires a reasonably fast processor.

Last edited:

mikerom

Thanks for all the tips. I have a relatively fast, high-end system, and it seems to run Nestopis (and virtual boy advance, and znes) beautifully. :) thanks for all the help!