cleaning up divx movies

seether9111

ummmm i forget
does anyone know of any software that can clean up a divx movie?i mean the depixelization(or however you say that).
or are you stuck with what you get?
also, how about mp3's and wma's, can you clean those up?

just curious

Zach

To clean up video files, sometimes you can use filters.

There are shitloads of filters out there, most programs use their own versions but the idea is the same..

Noise filter, smooth, sharpen, blur, gaussian blur, resize, crop, color, etc..
You just have to find a program that allows you to use filters when editing your files..

This also requires you to re-encode the files, and it will take a LOT longer because of the intense math involved.

A 20 minute anime episode could take somewhere around an hour if not more, on my Core 2 Duo.

Jale

I strongly recommend VirtualDub for DivX/AVI editing.

What do you mean by "depixelization"? You mean that noise-like coloured pixels when a frame is unreadable?

Last edited:

seether9111

ummmm i forget
havent gotten around to installing the tmpgenc suite yet.but i have managed to produce vhs quality dvd discs(as backwards as that sounds)from divx files.

the depixelization i was referring to is when there is a darkened area in the movie, background colors look like lots of little squares, it could definitely stand some cleaning up.

but i guess i can try some filters and continue to get better at burning!

gonna go for some psx rips next, as i have fairly large library of psx games!

Last edited:

Zach

Part of the problem with that kind of pixelation is that it is introduced during compression.. Basically the encoder skimped on bitrate..

Sometimes it can be fixed with filtering, but not much.. Also some formats handle that kind of thing better.. I have found MPEG2 files I make stand up better with pixelation when playing.

seether9111

ummmm i forget
In that case, a two or more pass encoding will reduce it.

yeah, i was using nero which had a 2-pass option on encoding(didnt really know what it meant until now)
but for other reasons, i refuse to use nero anymore, i have learned there are much better programs out there!

u guys are the shit, teaching me alot!:bow:
thank you

Last edited:

Zach

I know some people who think Nero works fine.. But I agree there are many better programs out there..

I can do anything I need to with TMPGenc basically... whether its re-encoding some stuff in the editor and adding filters, etc.. Then passing those files to the DVD authoring program.

Virtualdub and all that is nice, but sometimes its not very user friendly in the way things get handled.. Or maybe I'm just spoiled..

By the way.. I forget if you use codec packs or anything. If you don't, K-Lite is a good pack to use. Especially if you are gonna be dealing with MKV files, etc in the future.. Those are the standard for Anime these days.