FRI Version 1.2.0.0 Released!

Mavtak

In case you guys haven't heard, FRI (pronounced "free") is a ROM manager that makes playing ROMs really simple and continent. I've been working on it for a few months now. In the past I have put such posts in the "Submitted Content" subforum, but honestly no one reads that. :D

Tell me what you guys think! :eek:

• Added feature: Net Play makes it easy to initiate a net play session with people on the same LAN.
  • Added feature: Right-click on a ROM and select "Look up in Wikipedia" to get for information about the ROM.
  • Added feature: Right-click on a ROM and select "Open containing folder" to go to the folder that the ROM is in.
  • Added feature: If multiple emulators are compatible with a ROM that is about to be played, the user will be allowed to choose which one to use. If no emulator is registered as compatible with that ROM, then all emulators will be listed for the user to choose.
  • Added feature: The title bar informs the user if the database has been changed since the last save.
  • Back-end reconstruction: listing of ROMs has been made more robust to allow for future development of more ROM information.
  • Tweak: Messages from the Database Management items have been made more clear.
  • Tweak: The icon has been changed from a green arrow pointing into a blue database to a black and blue, 3D power symbol

logo-3d-2561.png

Download it here

More information here

Last edited:

Mavtak

Does it support the 7z file browsing? If no , will it?

No, but if you have an emulator that will accept 7zip'd ROMs, then FRI will not complain. I am looking into adding a feature to ZIP up ROMs automatically, though.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
No, but if you have an emulator that will accept 7zip'd ROMs, then FRI will not complain. I am looking into adding a feature to ZIP up ROMs automatically, though.
- Most of us have 7z collection that why I ask. The only good front end out there is quickPlay since it supports them. Most like mw need 7z otherwise we'd need 5 TB.. LOL But look in to quickPlay its dead because the author has vanished but IMO the best.

Good luck with the project.

Mavtak

- Most of us have 7z collection that why I ask. The only good front end out there is quickPlay since it supports them. Most like mw need 7z otherwise we'd need 5 TB.. LOL But look in to quickPlay its dead because the author has vanished but IMO the best.

Good luck with the project.

Yeah, a friend is downloading gigabytes and gigabytes of ROMs right now, and he says they are all in 7zip files. I do want to include features that people actually want, so I'll have to look into this. :p How does QuickPlay handle them? Does it just extract the ROM from the 7zip file when it is to be played?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Yeah, a friend is downloading gigabytes and gigabytes of ROMs right now, and he says they are all in 7zip files. I do want to include features that people actually want, so I'll have to look into this. :p How does QuickPlay handle them? Does it just extract the ROM from the 7zip file when it is to be played?

No, the archive is in (solid state ?) I think its called. It is like a mini drive if you will. When interfaced right you can open a 7-zip files and the system thinks its a drive. Same with the SDK interface.

for example
gameA.usa.smc - (3 meg)
gameA.ero.smc- (3 meg)
gameA.jap.smc- (3 meg)
gameA.hack1.smc- (3 meg)
gameA.hack2.smc- (3 meg)
gameA.hack3.smc- (3 meg)
gameA.over_dump.smc- (3 meg)
etc....- (3 meg)

since the files change ever so little the archive is - (3 meg) its self. So you could have 100 files 3 megs a piece in one 3 meg file. Or close to that. It is ideal for any rom center to handle them.

QP is written in Delphi/Kylix *cringe* and uses this API http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdisplayex

the source for QP is available for download. I dont know about you but I like my c++. So far no one has successfully continued the project. I still have not got all the packages working in dev.

Last edited:

Mavtak

No, the archive is in (solid state ?) I think its called. It is like a mini drive if you will. When interfaced right you can open a 7-zip files and the system thinks its a drive. Same with the SDK interface.

for example
gameA.usa.smc - (3 meg)
gameA.ero.smc- (3 meg)
gameA.jap.smc- (3 meg)
gameA.hack1.smc- (3 meg)
gameA.hack2.smc- (3 meg)
gameA.hack3.smc- (3 meg)
gameA.over_dump.smc- (3 meg)
etc....- (3 meg)

since the files change ever so little the archive is - (3 meg) its self. So you could have 100 files 3 megs a piece in one 3 meg file. Or close to that. It is ideal for any rom center to handle them.

QP is written in Delphi/Kylix *cringe* and uses this API http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdisplayex

the source for QP is available for download. I dont know about you but I like my c++. So far no one has successfully continued the project. I still have not got all the packages working in dev.

I'm a C# guy myself. :)

Right now I'm working with the guy who runs vimm.net to bring outside ROM ratings to FRI. That would mean that if you have a large ROM collection and you want to play a good new one, all you would have to do is sort the ROMs by "community rating" or whatever and then just pick something from the top. If all goes well I will include ratings from other sites into the mix.

I'm going to keep the 7z idea in mind. I can see that it has a lot of worth.