Clonecd Lives Again!

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member

CloneCD 4.3.1.5 preview: a new life for the sheep!
Preamble from the translator: I'm not an english (I'm an Italian gui), so please don't blame me for errors.

As lots of our readers knows, CloneCD was sold from Elaborate Bytes to Slysoft Inc. due legal problem with a recent german law. Slysoft Inc. acquired the right of another Elaborate Bytes' product: Region Killer; from with has created AnyDVD, a software that decrypt DVD protected with CSS. A lot of time passed from last CloneCD update, so it was not able to create bakup of SafeDisc 2.9 and Securom New 4.8 protected disk. For this reason many users used other software as Alcohol 120% or Blind Write.

Many people consider CloneCD as a dead software. If we see at AnyDVD relase history we can see that Slysoft Inc. update very often his software, so we think that in new release of CloneCD we can find lots of innovation: the preview version I've tested is the 4.3.1.5, maybe it's the first public release of Slysoft's CloneCD.

In the installation of CloneCD, Slysoft removed Virtual CloneDrive.

Virtual CloneDrive was removed due Slysoft hasn't acquired its rigth, but Slysoft's programmer said that one day they will add one drive emulator. Also Slysoft removed Control Elby CDIO utility.

After installation we can see that the Grafical User Interface is equal to that of older version.

The only difference that we see is on the "Information" tab. There we can find Slysoft's logo (a fox) near the CloneCD's sheep.

From "Tools" menu the "Send email abaut a device" command was removed: it's because Slysoft wouldn't maintain compatibility list, as they sad in our recent interview. An also little change is the registration metod: to register CloneCD you now need a .reg file (the registration window was removed).

I've tested CloneCD to search for protection bypassing innovation (first of all if it can bypass SafeDisc 2.9 e Securom New 4.8 protection).

All these tests were executed on a Liteon 48x12x48

Protection, CloneCD 4.2.0.2, Copy works, CloneCD 4.3.1.5, Copy works
Laserlock 24 min 24 sec Yes 24 min 30 sec Yes
Cd Check 18 min 40 sec Yes 18 min 39 sec Yes
SafeDisc ALT 8 min 17 sec Yes 8 min 20 sec Yes
Safedisc 2.8 22 min 46 sec Yes 22 min 22 sec Yes
Safedisc 2.9 17 min 52 sec No 17 min 47sec Yes
Securom NEW 9 min 15 sec Yes 9 min 15 sec Yes
Securom 4.8 9 min 10 sec No 9 min 09 sec No

As we can see, the time necessary to read a protected disk is unchanged, the news is the support for backup of SafeDisc 2.9 protected disk: we backupped the game "Will Rock" without any problem! It's still missing the support for Securom 4.8 protection, but Slysoft's tecnicians are working on it.

New CloneCD: conclusion:
We can be very enthusiast of Slysoft's update to CloneCD: Virtual CloneDrive can be replaced with other utility as Daemon Tools until Slysoft's engineer will create one. The most important news is the ability to backup SafeDisc 2.9 protected cd. We still wait for the capability of bypass Securom New 4.8, but we are sure we don't have to wait a lot for it!

In any case these are good news! You can get it from SlySoft's website!

onewecallgod

unless clonecd can do better than alcohol 120, i dont see the reason to change. i always found alcohol 120 more straight forward than clonecd

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Alcohol uses some kind of emulation mechanish. This means no 1:1 copies.

Time will show.

onewecallgod

Originally posted by Lefteris_D@Nov 1 2003, 04:44 PM
Alcohol uses some kind of emulation mechanish. This means no 1:1 copies.

Time will show.
alcohol only uses emulation for securom 4.x, for safedisk 2.xx copies, ive made perfects

ScotchGuy

Board Addict
I've never tried Alcohol 120%, but I can say I'm very pleased with CloneCD, I also like there 1:1 copying capabilities. I reckon they're pretty much equal, probably just about preference.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
I discovered a huge bug in the software. Though it does make cd images when you hit the burn button to write them on cd the pc reboots(WinXP).

J

Jet Set Willy

You're probably mistaking the word "bug" to mean hardware/driver conflict. Yours isn't the general case.

J

Jet Set Willy

Perhaps. I think conflict is a better word though, due to the ambiguity of the problem.

Not that it matters.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Who cares. I lost two CD's so I used nero to copy them.

That's a bad first release by Slysoft.