• Welcome to the Submitted Content Forum. You may use this part of the message board to submit content for reviewing before it is posted at the main site.
    • Acceptable Material
      If it is a review it has to be one of a game or emulator.
      If it is a guide/manual it has to do with emulation(how to use an emulator etc), not a game.
      New releases - Keep in mind that we check other sites regularly for those ourselves.
    • Necessary Requirements
      You may not copy content written by another person and claim it as your own. Any material found to be breaking that requirement will be removed.
    • Images
      You may use as may images as you like. At first you will have to host them to one of the many free image hosting services available. Once your material is officially posted we will copy them on the server.

FRI version 1.0.0.2 released

Mavtak

This version of FRI adds the ability to sort ROMs (ascending or descending) by any of the columns in the main FRI window. It also adds the ability to reload the default Platform and Language Vocabulary values in the event that they get erased or modified. It also changes the target of the help button to http:/mypieceoftheinter.net/projects/fri.

Download it here
http://mypieceoftheinter.net/archives/334

:D

Hrothgar

I'm really liking this program. The only problem I really see now is that emulators that use generic extensions like .rar, .zip, and all that, the program can't differentiate between what emulator plays what roms. Ex. if I wanted to add Mame32, and I also wanted to add Winkawaks, I can't chose what program opens which roms. The only program that will open these generic files is the first emulator I assign to them.

All the same, I like this new version.

Mavtak

I'm really liking this program. The only problem I really see now is that emulators that use generic extensions like .rar, .zip, and all that, the program can't differentiate between what emulator plays what roms. Ex. if I wanted to add Mame32, and I also wanted to add Winkawaks, I can't chose what program opens which roms. The only program that will open these generic files is the first emulator I assign to them.

All the same, I like this new version.

Actually, that's not entirely true. If you have your ZIP'd up SNES roms in a folder called "Super Nintendo" or "SNES" they will be recognized as SNES ROMs. This is why I created the user-editable "Platform Vocabulary".

Also, for example, if you like to refer "Sega Genesis" as "Sega Master System" (as it is known in Japan), just open up the Platform Vocabulary editor and change that platform name to "Sega Master System", and bump "Sega Genesis" over to the "other names" list.

As for Mame32, add that to the Platform Vocabulary list, put all those ROMs in a Mame32 folder, and then hit "Database Management" and then "Infer Missing Rom Info".

I hope that was a help. :)

Also, I'm still looking for features to add. :D

spotanjo3

Also, for example, if you like to refer "Sega Genesis" as "Sega Master System" (as it is known in Japan), just open up the Platform Vocabulary editor and change that platform name to "Sega Master System", and bump "Sega Genesis" over to the "other names" list.

Incorrect. Sega Genesis is USA vesion and as it is known in Japan as Sega Mega Drive. For Sega Master System is a version of USA as it is known in Japan as The Sega Mark III.

I had been around them for over 15 years. :)

The information is found at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Master_System#Japan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Mega_Drive

:p

Last edited:

Hrothgar

Actually, that's not entirely true. If you have your ZIP'd up SNES roms in a folder called "Super Nintendo" or "SNES" they will be recognized as SNES ROMs. This is why I created the user-editable "Platform Vocabulary".

As for Mame32, add that to the Platform Vocabulary list, put all those ROMs in a Mame32 folder, and then hit "Database Management" and then "Infer Missing Rom Info".

I hope that was a help.

Also, I'm still looking for features to add.

What I was trying to more say is that I can't get FRI to differentiate between the roms I want to play with mame, and the roms I want to play with other emulators like Final Burn Alpha or Winkawaks because they all use .zip files. I have used platform vocabulary.

Just some ideas for the next version, I think you should add the .a26 to the Atari 2600 default vocabulary. I'd also think it would be neat if you kinda could have lists like in Itunes. Like you have a list besides the entire rom library that specifically sort out games by system. I think it would also be neat if you added a data field for game publisher.

I guess I kinda want to see an Itunes equivelant to a Rom Library system, lol.:D

Last edited:

Mavtak

What I was trying to more say is that I can't get FRI to differentiate between the roms I want to play with mame, and the roms I want to play with other emulators like Final Burn Alpha or Winkawaks because they all use .zip files. I have used platform vocabulary.

Just some ideas for the next version, I think you should add the .a26 to the Atari 2600 default vocabulary. I'd also think it would be neat if you kinda could have lists like in Itunes. Like you have a list besides the entire rom library that specifically sort out games by system. I think it would also be neat if you added a data field for game publisher.

I guess I kinda want to see an Itunes equivelant to a Rom Library system, lol.:D

I think I understand your situation, but I haven't played around with MAME, so I can't be sure. I think the only solution would be to store the MAME ROMs in a separate folder. Even Windows can't tell the difference between a ZIP file with a SNES ROM in it vs. a ZIP file with a N64 ROM in it at that level. (BIN files would be even worse.) Please correct me if I'm not understanding you correctly, though.

Thanks, since I don't play all of the platforms that FRI supports, I can't possibly get all of the platform information right. I mostly relied on Wikipedia for the file extension info included in the default Platform Vocabulary. Thanks. :)

Sort out the games by the system? Well, you can click on the "Platform" bar to sort the ROMs by platform alphabetically, or you can click "Advanced Search" and check the platforms that you want to include in the search. Are you suggesting a quicker way to switch between viewing single platforms?