Moding these Games???

Hjustin2

S.O.U._Hawk Eye
I've always been interested in moding games. Never figured things out, too many different files. Tried with Civilization 2 and glad i had the ISO backed up. HA HA Boy it can take a while to use the CD manipulator to make my ISO. So the question is(there a program that opens the files and manipulate the game)?

Zach

What is "these games" ?? Assuming you mean PSX games, no it's hardly possible to modify them in any way. They are all read only files, stored on a CD that can't be altered. In a lot of cases they are also compressed with custom file containers and algorithms too.

You can't MOD CD based games like you can MOD a Cartridge based ROM. It's many times more difficult and I've never really heard of anyone writing tools to do so.

Hjustin2

S.O.U._Hawk Eye
Shoot i've been looking into moding any game. and like he said i tried making ISO with cd manipulator> edit the rules with notepad>save as>delete the rules from the ISO>add the moded file that i saved>and final, save the changes of the ISO, it didnt pull through. In ran but had glitches till it locked.

Leerz

Pinoy Ako!
actually it's possible, but only on certain files/games
if the game uses bitmaps for textures (which can be very huge)

then you can edit the game, with CDmage,
import your file and replace it with userdata, from browse, :)

if you can decode the textures from the other formats, then can import your own textures, to export on the game.

unless it's packed / compressed.

game sample, driver 2 disc 1 and disc2 (the opening, logo's "bruno bonel" and the Driver 2 Welcome Screen)

some bin files there were just renamed bitmaps which can be easily altered,
of course you output file MUST not be BIGGER(but can be smaller) than the ORIGINAL, otherwise, it'll go boom.

if you can get a hold of PSX video converting tools, to and from then replacing movies on some games are possible, (even vlc can play some PSX movies)

you can test it on your favorite emulator, (the stable ones if you may) a modded psx shouold be able to run it as well.

Cheers
-Leerz
Viva Las Filipinas

Last edited:

Hjustin2

S.O.U._Hawk Eye
Well does anyone know a producer that can help hack the psone games, or a small time hacker would work too.

Hjustin2

S.O.U._Hawk Eye
Thank you, it will take a while for me to research this romhacker instructions

Leerz

Pinoy Ako!
also, if you could get a look at some of Zorlon's work
(he's made some pretty good PSX game mods, altering movies, and logos etc)

Hjustin2

S.O.U._Hawk Eye
They aint got much im interested in. The TIM extractor is kewl, but I am looking for moding the game play, maybe add new things. For Psone, mostly want for ps2.

Leerz

Pinoy Ako!
They aint got much im interested in. The TIM extractor is kewl, but I am looking for moding the game play, maybe add new things. For Psone, mostly want for ps2.
no way you can do that,

but it's probably impossible, the battard keys from psxeven proves that it's possible, (blowing up the head of a character, making it squishy etc) but it's really random. effects cant be assumed and expected.

however, for n64 this is pretty much doable, toadstool64 and goldeneye setup editor,
you can move the items etc or something like that, cant add yet, maybe on their future versions, I forgot who was that guy who recored a lvl of smb1 on mario64)

anyway, for psx, it's farfetched, of course, most likely to the ps2, if not impossible at this point in time, but maybe in the future (n64 has been around for almost a decade and a half and tools for it or modding it are just being perfected/still not perfect)

and replacing simply the files, no, once you open the disc, you can just put it back, modify etc, needless to say, it follows a certain toc and the game checks for the files, it wont run if your IMAGE is not licensed (there are tools for that [psx as I can recall]) but doesn't work all the time

if you wanna make games for ps2, programming from scratch is the way to go, it's not gonna be an easy task, but also not impossible, rip the gfx or sound if you wish, but you're going to write everything by hand.
>> http://ps2dev.org/

but to take a game's engine and edit lvls and storly lines, I dunno.

if the game have some sort of scenarios, or lvl editors built in, then it's possible that editors native to the PC(win32) or other os to be doable, but you cant expect things to be available.

say, the lvl editors for THPS, save files for lvls are saved onto the MMC, export it to PC, and extract just the save file for your track, someone smart enough could write a totally new lvl editor for it. and then export it back on the mmcard and back to the console.

\\imagine warcraft or starcraft scenario editors (worldedit)

yea, that's about it.

-Leerz

Last edited:

Leerz

Pinoy Ako!
Shoot i've been looking into moding any game. and like he said i tried making ISO with cd manipulator> edit the rules with notepad>save as>delete the rules from the ISO>add the moded file that i saved>and final, save the changes of the ISO, it didnt pull through. In ran but had glitches till it locked.

edit the rules with notepad?
you were able to edit the files?
I mean, they were text files? ansi or unicode?

rules from the
if that's so then there must some sort of proper syntax for the the scripting, I haven't seen the files in Civilization2, maybe i'll check it when I open my PSX CD chest :p

if the Civilization boots from an EXE (psx.exe)
usually those the ones that can be compiled into multi-boot games, then the chances of making this runs better ;)