MAME system requirments?

jox43w

hi guys iv just joined the site.

im going to build a new pc for emulation with xp and with a arcadevga card to get the correct resolution.

i want to be able to play all neogeo games king of fighter 2003 etc and games like mortalcombat nbajam etc which my P3 1ghz really struggles to play at the moment.

Will a AMD Dual Core X2 4800 with 1gm ram run them perfectly?

Also does anyone here run a arcadevga card? and can you still use windows xp on a pc monitor normaly?

cheers

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Hi, welcome to EZ.

If its an emulation rig I would really recommend a Core2Duo. Intel processors tend to be better at the pure number crunching needed for emulation, and using the multithreading option with a C2D makes unplayable games like Carnevil run properly.
Ideally you want to run with 2Gb or Ram to maximise compatibility but 1Gb will happily run most games in mame including all the NeoGeo titles.

The new generation ArcadeVGA's are perfectly good to use as a normal GPU at normal resolutions, so if you are buying it new from Ultimarc you shouldn't have any issues at all. Although, if you are going to be running on a PC monitor, its arguable wether an AVGA is necessary at all, as their primary function is to output custom resolutions and refresh rates to an arcade monitor or TV. With a decent CRT PC monitor these resolutions and refresh rates can be forced through mame anyway.

Lastly, your P3 struggles with mame now due to some of the major core changes that have taken place since v0.107. Using a version prior to this should still run perfectly well with a P3 and the vast majority of Neo games and MK etc were all emulated and running on versions prior to 0.107. So even if you build a dedicated emulation rig, it might be worth hanging on to if you decide to make a dedicated mame cab or something at a later date.

Hope that helps.

jox43w

Thanks for the reply.

im planning on buying a new pc with the most intentions being for mame so i want to get the best cpu i can afford and somewhere in the near future use it in a cab. but in the mean time i will run xp.

i will take your advice and look at a intel C2D if i really streach my budget i can go for the "E6750 2.66 GHz 4Mb Cache" will this be sufficant?

i will be fitting an arcadevga card and making a vga to scart to i can run it on my tv.

Thats my overall plan if i go for the intel i will have to wait a while before i get the arcadevga card unless i went for a less powerfull cpu but i think being as its mame its best to start with a good cpu.

so overall my question is willthe E6750 be sufficiant? will it run killer instinct 1 and 2?

cheers