music,vids and games

shadowwoelf

ok some games have some preety good soundtracks or videos so i was wondering is there a program where i can take the vid or music???

ShadowWarrior

Hi there...

I don't know if this is not allowed because it's not really illegal (correct me if I'm wrong of course), but there is a site that teaches you how to rip music from games of various platforms. I won't provide a link in case it is breaking the rules, but I can tell you to search for "ripping music from games" on Google, and it will be the first link that comes up. 8]

shadowwoelf

huh y wouldnt it be legal though i bought the cd so dont i own it and the music with it and i am not like selling the music or video so i dont think they would really care about it

ShadowWarrior

Well it's illegal to reverse engineer or rip music from a compiled game, because you're not backing up the music or videos - unless the music or videos are standalone files in the game's sub-dir's. Even then, the consumer don't rightly own the music or videos or the code. The consumer basically owns the right to play the compiled software and the physical CD (or floppies) in which it is copied to, and of course the manual and box...

onewecallgod

Originally posted by ShadowWarrior@Aug 14 2004, 12:49 AM
Well it's illegal to reverse engineer or rip music from a compiled game, because you're not backing up the music or videos - unless the music or videos are standalone files in the game's sub-dir's. Even then, the consumer don't rightly own the music or videos or the code. The consumer basically owns the compiled software and the CD in which it is copied to.
is it really illegal to do that?? sounds a bit strange to me.... i've heard this subject talked about on a few very popular forums that dont allow warez....

ShadowWarrior

Well, I work for a mobile developer and in the end user agreement, is states in very confusing terms that it's basically illegal to reverse engineer/decompile the software and take the music/vids/graphics/sprites, etc, out.

It might be different for PC and console games...

It might be why games like Hitman and Gran Turismo have soundtracks readily for sale at Futureshop, etc... 8]

shadowwoelf

ya but y buy something that u already bought i would never buy a soundtrack to a game that i already own i would rather go out get a mic and record it manually if i had to never just buy it it would be such a waste of my money and btw shadowwarrior r u basicly telling us that the game industry is just lending the games to us

ShadowWarrior

No, the gaming industry isn't lending games to you perse. What the gaming and software industry is doing is make the end-result available for public use, so long as people don't reverse engineer a product.

So consumers own the right to use the end-result of a compiled application, but not decompile an application and use the code, because the code is protected by international copyright laws and intellectual property laws. The music files that make up the background (BGM) music and the sound effects also belong to the company and/or individuals who produce and/or direct them. In most cases, they are made exclusively to the application themselves, thus it actually belongs to the company who developes the application.

For example, there was one person in Vancouver who ripped one of the BGM from one of the games we produced, and made available for download on her web site. Our lawyers contacted her to remove it immediately. Why? First and foremost, it broke the end-user agreement, and second the music composer who happens to be me had not given her permission to use it otherwise.

First, the company has to protect itself, and second the artist or programmers or designers have to protect their own work, unless it is under the GPL - General Public License.

HOWEVER, I did provide a place for you to search for ripping music - I know it's contradictory to what I have been trying to defend, but it's not like everyone is pure and goody goody right? 8]

Just go to Google, make a search for "ripping music from games" and it will be the first link that comes up... 8]

shadowwoelf

ya but doesnt reverse enginiring something help make a better product in the end and btw i am not planing on posting it on the web i just feel like tickering with it for awhile, and i understand y u dont want ppl taking the files u worked so hard on oo and one last thought y would anyone want to reverse enginer something unless they think they can make some improvements or unless they want something like a music file or vid like me

ShadowWarrior

shadowwoelf - I've PM'ed you for stuff...

Neco - BTW, I've always wanted to ask you do as a Forum Mayor? I can picture a round guy with a white beard and a smile on his face, holding a bucket of chicken... Hmm... Sounds familiar... 8]

Zach

I put people in their place.

Its an accurate enough description anyway.

There are lots of things you can do for profit where reverse engineering is concerned.
You can take something apart, and see how it works, like you said, and then improve it and change things enough so that the new design is different enough from the original that you can legally sell your own version etc..

shadowwoelf

ya in most cases but i am not in for profit or putting this on the internet all so i think i am sort of safe for now..........(hope i dont get into to much trouble when i am older ;) )

J

Jet Set Willy

I think that to be a successful engineer, reverse or otherwise, you'd need to at least be intelligent enough to spell "engineer" correctly, shadoweoeoeoeoeoeoeoelf.

shadowwoelf

ya maybe so but i was in a hurry jet set willy so i didnt really care if i misspelled something all i care isthat u get my point