old pc games

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
dosBox --> http://www.dosbox.com/
DOSBox is a DOS-emulator that uses the SDL-library which makes DOSBox very easy to port to different platforms. DOSBox has already been ported to many different platforms, such as Windows, BeOS, Linux, MacOS X...

DOSBox also emulates CPU:286/386 realmode/protected mode, Directory FileSystem/XMS/EMS, Tandy/Hercules/CGA/EGA/VGA/VESA graphics, a SoundBlaster/Gravis Ultra Sound card for excellent sound compatibility with older games...

You can "re-live" the good old days with the help of DOSBox, it can run plenty of the old classics that don't run on your new computer!

DOSBox is totally free of charge and OpenSource.

Last edited:

Genome

north west south west
microsoft provides software called "virtual pc" google it.
its free to download on their site

you need a copy of the operating system you need to run it on (win 95, 98, nt, etc)

it allocates space to use as a virtual hard drive on your physical hard drive.

loads the operating system in a window.

works perfect.
i play all my old pc games with it.

Genome

north west south west
im pretty sure you can.

i havent had to use recent versions of direct x but i have had to use older versions and i didnt have any problems at all.

as far as your pc knows its just running whatever operating system virtual pc tell it its running.

emulations great isnt it:happy:

montpics

Why would you need to emulate a PC game?
As not all PC games can be played under Windows XP or even Windows Vista. Take Rune or Max Payne for example, both game will definitely crash or lags too much even both requirements meet your PC specs. Some DOS games are not fully emulated well with any recent DOS emulators like DOSBox. (Example : BioForge)

What are you using that would make you need to emulate it?
Depends on what game you are refering to.

Zach

Virtual PC's are the devil.. I have yet to come across any Virtual PC suite that can run games with any level of satisfactory as far as windows games go.. let alone DirectX/3d games..

DOSBox is good for DOS games for sure, but that's it as far as entire PC/OS emulation go.. CPU power will need to increase at least 10 fold imho to get the performance necesarry at a consisten level.. and that will maybe get you a virtual PC w/windows 98 games running 3D etc

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Virtual PC , nor VM-ware will run a game satisfactory. This is what Dos-Box is for. Like Zach said it may not work on some games. To do what you are trying to do you need to make a wrapper. This would require d3d programming knowledge. Emulating another OS on top of an OS is asking for trouble. you will never get the performance you need.

Last edited:

RiderLeangle

As not all PC games can be played under Windows XP or even Windows Vista. Take Rune or Max Payne for example, both game will definitely crash or lags too much even both requirements meet your PC specs. Some DOS games are not fully emulated well with any recent DOS emulators like DOSBox. (Example : BioForge)

Depends on what game you are refering to.
Well I guess I'm not used to that seeing as I have a crappy PC
pcstats.jpg

I wondered what the problem was because one of the examples was System Shock 2 which I've been running fine considering my PC is overqualified for it (I'm serious, the requirements are
Windows 9x, Pentium or K6 200+ MHz, 32 MB RAM, 4X CD/DVD-ROM, DirectX 6+, Highcolour 4 MB PCI or AGP video card, sound card.
which is more then I have (Well, except working CD drive, but the version of the game I got didn't need it
shifty.gif
)

montpics

Your PC specs is more exactly as mine here. Thinking I should test the game. Will be reported once I'd done testing. :)

Last edited: