Newbie here.Looking for a game.

Eight_Fold

Hello all.I am new to this .I have obtained a emulator and read much about them but still a question remains.Without breaking any club rules I would only like to ask about games for emulators.Question one: Do I need the actual chip from the game I want to play inserted into my computer ??? Question two:Can I find files of games themselves without illegality for an emulator ???Look this is what I am tryin gto do my mother wants to play Tetris.And I would'nt mind a Ghost's N' Goblins or Gauntlet Game.So I found and Downloaded a NES emulator.Now I just need to find the games.Do I find the old game's and physically insert them into my computer ???Or just use files ??? or just download the games contents somehow ??? Lil help please .Thanx Eight_Fold {newb}

J

Jet Set Willy

You find files which are "images" of the game. These are generally called ROMs. Emulators aren't technically illegal, but it's disputed. Nintendo wouldn't like it. ROMs generally are illegal, as they are images of commercially sold data. You can't use this site to get ROMs, any such requests will lead to you being told off and eventually banned.

Zach

Yup. If you want to try finding ROMS yourself, just try using google, or peer to peer programs.

ShadowWarrior

To further their comments, after you get your NES emulator program and install it accordingly, find the ROMs you want through Google or another search engine, and move those file(s) into a directory where you can easily get access to - usually in a sub-folder of the emulator's directory, or the emulator's directory itself.

EXAMPLE:
c:\FCEUltra\games OR c:\FCEUltra

If you don't know already, sometimes ROMs are zipped or rar'ed up. I'm not completely sure, but not all emulators can read ROMs inside ZIP and RAR files, so you will need either WinZip (www.winzip.com) or WinRar (www.rarlabs.com) to extract the ROM image.

EXAMPLE:
Downloaded File - Tetris.zip
Open With WinZip - Tetris.nes (as listed and/or upon extraction)

Aside from that, you don't need any special chips or equipment to play these games. If you have a joystick or gamepad, you can configure it inside the emulator. If you need help finding games for the NES, just PM me (admin/mods - is that allowed?) Mod's note: I don't think so, but I'll let Lefty decide

Well, ROM (read only memory) It just that Data that can be read, It can be downloaded from many places on web, Concerning the legal issues, In fact is ilegal unless you have the original game (whom follow that rule?) The matter is that if the game is too old as the ones for Nintendo 8 bit ¿will Nintendo care if it is being downloaded or not? I guess not (UUmmm those guys are selling old games from NES to GBA), it is up to you to download it or not.

Is easy to handle emulation on NES SNES N64 systems, the thing is getting the rights emulators, Nester SNES9X and Project 64 are doing great on my PC.

Note by Moderator: Text was too big.

leon_belmont

Killer of all evil
Mod's Edit: No helping people find roms