PSP question

triggerx

Sorry if this is a noobie question, but Im new to the whole psp thing.

So I just got a new psp, the slim and it has the 3.71 firmware on it.

I was wondering if their was anyway for me to play psp isos without tampering with the firmware.

I mean isnt there a way so that the psp would read it as if it were a umd?
so what would be the point in messing with the firmware.

I have a Naruto Ultimate Ninja Heroes Rom that I wanted to try out before I actually go buy the umd. Cause its good to have a hard copy, but I dont want to buy a tv related game cause in most cases they suck.

So Id rather try it out for a few days, then take it off my mem stick and buy the real version.

Any help on this subject?

Slim PSP, Running the official 3.71 firmware.

The game file itself is in .cso, which im assuming is some compressed psp iso format

Last edited:
No.

Get a regular PSP(Not slim), and make sure it's at least firmware version 2.0(1.0 or 1.5 is good too). Then upgrade to custom firmware(Depending on what version you want, you may have to downgrade to 1.0), and you'll be able to run PSP ISOS on it.

GHDpro

Administrator
Staff member
From news updates on psp.qj.net I'd figure PSP Slim can actually also run custom firmware, but you probably need one with an older version firmware than 3.71, as Sony improves it's attempts at stopping people from installing custom firmware with each new version.

Also, I'm pretty sure installing custom firmware is not a risk-free & completely undoable process.

You're best bet, as MilesHedgehog already mentioned, is to get another PSP (a used one), and preferbly one with as old firmware as you can get. This way you can keep your new PSP "clean" and experiment all you want with the other.

montpics

I saw PSP emulator at the download section
any one knows the requirement for this emulator?
Please take note that PSP emulator still unable to play any commercial games yet. It's still in early development stages. :)

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
All PSPs can run homebrew and custmo firmware. The original "Phat" psp can be downgraded by either using any of the exploit downgraders out there which only work on specific firmwares or for newer firmwares that are not "exploitable" you can use the pandora battery which allows you to reflash the eeprom with any firmware regardless of what firmware it is currently running.

The Slim 'N' Lite can only be downgraded to a compatible firmware that sony has released or a custom firmware for the PSP Slim.

CFW on the Phat PSP is a combination 1.50 and any of the latest firmwares aswell as a few other added extras such as a recovery menu. On the Slim PSP its just one of the latest firmwares with the few added extras. Homebrew needs to be recompiled to run on a Slim CFW and its more limited than homebrew on a Phat PSP.

triggerx

Thanks for the replies, and I did do a bit of research myself as well, came across a technique that uses something called "pandora's battery" but there seems to be more of a risk at bricking your psp.

Anyways, updating firmware seems like its going to be a problem for alot in the future, I think hackers should focus on developing methods outside of changing the firmware.

Maybe figure out a way to make psp emulation on official firmware possible by working or modifying the specific iso used.

With Kh birth by sleep and FF dissidia coming out sometime withi next year, I'll have to upgrade firmware anyways, so there should be some method that doesnt involve firmware.

Well that method isnt available yet, but I think that maybe making a psp iso closer to a pbp file, and work from there.

But who knows Im sure some crack in the psp will be exploited soon

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
Basically everything youve said has been done. Devhook can emulate firmwares on the PSP but development has more or less stop due to people prefering CFW. Not all games need the latest version of firmware to run. Certain tricks and hacks can be done to force for example a 3.71 game to run on firmware 3.70.

ISO loaders exist. In CFW is basically drop an ISO into the ISO folder and boot the game from the game menu on the PSP.

Bricking shouldnt be a big concern any more as pandoras battery can restore a "bricked" PSP. Although there is a special area on the EEPROM called the IDSTORAGE. If this is erased there is no way to restore it completely so if you do decide to install CFW using what ever method make sure you make a backup of the EEPROM or atleast the IDSTORAGE.