Freeware ROMs

ShadowWarrior

Good morning everyone... 8]
I'm just wondering about something... If people use the PC to play various arcade and console games commercial and otherwise, why would some people create freeware ROM games to be emulated on the PC? In other words, why do you think that they don't just create a PC game instead of a ROM?

You can still make itty bitty 8-bit graphics like Mario Brothers or any 16-bit graphic game like Street Fighter 2 for the PC platform. It's a little odd for me anyhow. I mean, if PC machines were scarce and people weren't using PC's at all, and everything is programmed on something else, then I would understand - kind of...

Do you get what I mean??? 8/

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
There are various reasons to create a freeware rom(call it homebrew if you like better).

#1 To understand how the console executes the game code better.
#2 To show how good you are at programming at non standard platforms.
#3 To provide legal means of testing emulators.
#4 Because you want to :)

There are probably more reasons but there are the important ones in my view.

ShadowWarrior

Yes of course... The "challenge" factor is always a good inspirational tool for many hardcore programmers... 8]

If you guys get enough active members and maybe one or two sponsors, you can hold a competition for creating the best and most unique NES game... Maybe even a Doom-like game for the Atari 2600+... 8]

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
That sounds nice but I dont think we have enough people with the proper skills to participate in such a competition.

onewecallgod

i'm sure you'll need some really 1337 programmers to pull something like this off

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Any programmer with a good understanding of the NES platform and some free time could do it.

All they need is imagination, that is what makes games good :)

Zach

I always wanted to make an NES game or something.

That little bit about 6502 Assembly kept getting in the way tho

pam

Banned
what kind of question is this, its impossible for creators to make the original ms pacman as regular game for a pc. Dont forget the rights.
Many games first designed for consoles or coin ops.

ShadowWarrior

That wasn't the point in matter!

The point of my question was why people would still continue to create ROM images for the PC. I am not asking about Pac Man or Street Fighter.

Yeah... 4:41am, and I'm thinking about beer and whiskey...

Leerz

Pinoy Ako!
if that competition will be set.. i'll join it..

m just hoping that damn mr.school wont get on my way :angry:

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Feel free to do it guys because I dont see that competition happening any time soon unless there is a considerable ammount of people(6+).

ShadowWarrior

Well, if the members can get a competition going, it would be great... Hmm... But how to get some sponsors? There has to be some bait to lure the existing and new members to this site and join in... It has to be worthwhile too... Hmmm... [stroking the non-hair on my chin] Hmmm...

I'm wondering, how do emulator sites stand in the commercial world? Are they still being looked upon negatively?