WinXP SP2 RTM

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
The "final" version is out and will be available for a public download soon(beta testers right now). If you want it right now I'm sure you can find many torrents out there but it is better to wait for the official release and link from a microsoft server.

Like many people I'll make a slipstream cd too and make a fresh installation.

Feel free to share your upgrade results here as feedback.

Note: The build numeber is 2180.

J

Jet Set Willy

I've got it installed. The firewall seems quite good, but nothing particularly exciting.

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Avast 4 & Mcafee have been reported to be working with Security Center. A patch for Symantec Corporate 9 has been released as well. No patch for Norton 2004 yet.

Has anyone heard about the status for Kaspersky and Pandra?

Originally posted by Jet Set Willy@Aug 10 2004, 12:24 AM
The firewall seems quite good, but nothing particularly exciting.
No thank you Microsoft, I plan to keep Zone Alarm.

Zach

Service pack 2 just hosed all my fucking local servers

plus put some gay extra processes at startup that I had to disable.

THanks MS !!!

Zach

Typical MS bullshit

failed to tell anyone that localhost now starts at .21, and all sites must follow .22, .23, etc

:rolleyes:

/edit...

spoke too fucking soon

GHDpro

Administrator
Staff member
Ugh... great. Installed SP2 and as result... totally ruined Windows XP install.

Nothing helped -- no Safe Mode boot, no Repair Windows install. Only a fresh
install worked. Ah well, had nothing to do this week anyway <_<

Running W2K instead of XP now btw, to test if my RAID setup (which failed
to work in XP after about 2 weeks and hasn't run properly since) will work in
W2K. So far so good (none of the problems I had with XP)...

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
I never "upgrade" my installation using a service pack. I always make a slipstreamed windows cd followed by a clean installation.

Need I say that I already had all the latest programs & drivers stored in a folder of my second disk on a stand by? :D

Anyway, on my system a full installation along with programs, drivers & additional configuration(Programs, OS, tweaks etc) took around 8 hours non stop.

After that it was backup time. Now I have a fresh backup after two yeard ready to be used in case of a "critical error".

The only "broken" programs so far had some issues with windows firewall but those were all over once it was replaced by Zone Alarm.

GHDpro

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, yes, but I'm sure MILLIONS of windows users will be upgrading
(or have already upgraded) to SP2 using Windows Update, and er...
if the same thing happened to only a few of them, windows support
phone lines are going to be swamped...

Anyway... seems my on-board RAID really doesn't work anymore (I also
get problems with W2K, while I know the HD itself works fine when connected
to a normal ATA controller)...

Time to get a new controller (have 5 IDE devices, so 1 to many) and then
reinstall Windows XP proper again...

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Better slipstream the cd before you start the installation. Trust me, the result will be much cleaner than a xp installation and a SP2 upgrade.

I've been slipstreaming windows since NT4 SP5 so I know how good it is.

Please note: If you are too lazy to perform the process with the good old way you should try AutoStreamer. I cant use it as it takes all the fun away :ph34r:

Andy

The Service Pack didnt work for me, after installing, Windows wont boot up,I had to safe mode then restore. I also found out that some games are affected by the pack :\

Here's the complete list

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
I use some of the programs & games in that list and have seen no problem so far mostly because the developers have already released the proper patches as they should.

Andy

I see, too late SP2 already gave me a bad impression, worse, I cant install it.

GHDpro

Administrator
Staff member
Whew... it only took me 5 (!) reinstalls of Windows in 24 hours to get it right,
but I'm finally running again -- and with SP2 fortunately.

A quick overview about why it took 5 tries:

1) Reinstall Windows XP SP1, then a few drivers including ATI video drivers, then SP2
Result: exactly the same as installing it on the working system -- it won't boot anymore!

2) Reinstall Windows XP SP1, then SP2 immediately, no driver install
Result: worked for a moment until I installed the ATI video drivers again and tweaked settings

3) Reinstall Windows XP SP2 (quickly downloaded), so no update necessary
Result: after tweaking some settings, very very unreliable system, with disk corruption
occuring for not particular reason

4) Reinstall Windows XP SP1, then install drivers and tweak settings, NO SP2 update
Result: Still the same! Unreliable performance and many "Delayed Write Failed" errors
(again resulting in tons of disk corruption)

5) [FINAL] Reinstall Windows XP SP2, NOT tweak settings
Result: Well, I'm still working with it! :D

---
In the end it turned out that the ATI video drivers (Catalyst) doesn't like the "System Cache"
performance setting (aka "LargeSystemCache" registry setting) AT ALL. But it took AGES to
figure this bit out. Now I've got it set to "Programs" again, and no problems so far...