Slow download

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
I have a DSL connection with:

download-3008kbps

Upload- 512kpbs

But when i download anything whether it be with torrents { i use Utorrent}, download accelerators {I use DAP} my download speeds never go higher than 300kbs. I have my Router port-forwarded for Utorrent. Is there any way to change this?

BTW I have a 2wire gateway

Jale

I mean from power cord. Did you do that? Seems to work for me every time I do it.

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
Nope doesnt work

Jale

Try repairing your connection.

Right click on "My network places" and then "Properties".
Select the net adapter your Internet is connected to.
Right click on it and then click "Repair".

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
"""Your ISP might be throttling your download speed. Is it still as slow during the night/early morning?"""

Its always like that

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
May they have restricted it 24/7? Try download firefox from their website and see if your speed is any better.

If you're maxing out when downloading firefox then your ISP has probably put a cap on your max download speed for torrents....

Jale

According to the data you gave us, your download speed should be around 376 KB/s, which I think your planned Internet connection is 3 Mbps. The maximum you can get from a 3 Mbps connection is 384 KB/s, but remember you'll never reach this high with a 3 Mbps. Why? I don't know, maybe some ISO or ISP regulation.

The same happens with me. I have a 1 Mbps connection. I should get speeds of 128 KB/s, but the most I got was 120 KB/s (960 Kbps).

Is your connection wired or wireless?
Is this Interet connection shared with other computer?
Have you tried DU (download / upload) meters?

Last edited:

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
The same happens with me. I have a 1 Mbps connection. I should get speeds of 128 KB/s, but the most I got was 120 KB/s (960 Kbps).

I think thats because when the data is transfered from the internets to your computer it is sent it packets which contain the actual data aswell as a header containing information like IP source and destination, error detection and correction etc....

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
Spoiler »
FUCK.jpg

Its wired- Ethernet

Whats a download meter?

Nope not shared

Last edited by a moderator:

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
Yeah butters was right. (again)

Your internet connection:
3Mb/S = 3MegaBits per second = 3,000,000 bits per second

Your download:
271KB/S = 271,000 bytes per second

8 bits in a byte

3,000,000bits divided by 8 = 375,000 bytes per second = 375KB/S

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
You lost me.....

Forgot how to hide pictures again:confused:

Jale

A DU Meter shows the activity of your uploads and downloads.

Spoiler »
screenoe8.jpg

I personally like this one (DU Super Controller), because it offers detailed information about the programs that use my bandwidth and I can adjust the DU speed of a specific program. Unfortunately, it's not free.