Board Width

Jale

Can you narrow the board's width a bit? You see, I'm running on a 16:10 monitor at 1440x900 and it's uncomfortable to read the whole thing from side to side. Since today's standard resolutions are 800x600 and 1024x768, why not setting the board's width up to around 1000 pixels? I'm sure it can be done by modifying the board's template somewhere.

Last edited:

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, adjusting it is very easy but I'd rather keep it in a setting that pleases most users.

What's he's refering to is there are normally two board styles. Usually and expanded and a narrow one. The narrow one can be semi-bad with people getting larger monitors all the time. My friends form listed below uses a narrow one because he said that most of vistors have a 1024 resoultion, but here, i guess there can be all sorts of types, defiently most being gamers that use wide screens. The admin would have to make a second skin and recode it just like the first one which is double work. But just some info.

Last edited:
Maybe if one of his moderators/coders would take up the project. The forum doesn't appear to have many plugins... so it wouldn't be difficult. Just gotta have time and resources. I use to code some forums before and grrr.. people are like why don't you have 29 skins installed. Lots of legwork :p

Jale

29? Too many skins. Administrators are the only ones who can edit the forum templates.

Well, not really true. If they give you the access to do it, but there's alot of trust involved on that one. Because in creating, you can destroy the site also lolz :) I have to computers and I do admit looks better narrow on my smaller labtop and the expanded looks great on my wide 23 inch screen.

Last edited:

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
I just tested it and it looks ugly as the logo bar goes way off. I'd rather not change such a setting right now.

Zach

You could add a Jscript hack to the forums CSS file, to cap the expanded width. If I remember right it may be as easy as adding an HTML tag like DIV, as a wrapper around the entire forum code, and imbedding the CSS in that TAG manually also.

There are also legitimate CSS tags to do this, however not everyone will be using W3C compliant browsers, even in these days unfortunately.

I did this a while ago on one of my site layouts, which I allowed to expand if the screen allowed it, but would still stop at a certain number of pixels.

Yeah it's messy, but it could be a solution for huge monitors.. That way it only expands out to a certain width even on large monitors.
Alternative, on the user end you can just unmaximize your browser window and size it accordingly.

Here is a link I used for research

http://www.svendtofte.com/code/max_width_in_ie/

As far as I remember, this may work in all browsers, and not just IE.. however I could be wrong.. in any case it's just a matter of using a legit CSS tag for compliant browsers like mozilla, and using the hack for IE.

Hell, I haven't even tested the CSS tags in IE, so it may be that they work and you won't have to hack it too...

Last edited: