Final Fantasy IX 9

kyraxe

Anybody been able to play FF9 successfully on the ePSXe? It works damn near perfect for me, but I always seem to crash at the scene in disc 1 when I get on the cargo airship to Alexandria. I've tried different video and sound drivers and I always crash when the scene plays the movie of the ship flying across the field. I'm hoping someone has been through this already and there is a known fix. Please respond if you have any ideas on how to get past this crash! This game is WAY better than FF8 and I'd really like to play it. Thanks :)

~Mike

M.H.A.Q.S.

FF9 runs great on epsxe without a single glitch. You must have some problem on your side. you may try to disable the FMVs in the plugin options or in epsxe, generally known as disabling MDECs. You may try to make an ISO out of your CD, if your CD is scratchy at that point. If you are using PETE's plugins then you can try using "special game fixes" menu in the plugin configuration menu. I hope this helps you, if it doesn't you can post a more specific problem statement. ;)

Guitar Gamer

Here's your fix - (considering I too had the exact same problem) - what I ended up doing was installing an older version of ePSXe on my system (v1.5.2 to be more exact). I first made a save state in 1.6.0 right before the glitch occurs. I then loaded that save state in 1.5.2, put up with some delayed video and made another save state a little bit after the glitch and resumed playing in 1.6.0. It worked just as planned. It's a little bit of a hassle but too my memory that's the only glitch I encountered in the entire game anyways.

So...

1) Install ePSXe 1.5.2 (and make sure you're using 1.6.0 already)
2) In 1.6.0 make a save state shortly before the glitch in the FMV occurs. You can do this by pressing escape to exit the screen and going "RUN > SAVESTATE (F1) > SLOT 1" in the ePSXe window.
3) Load this save state (you may have to move it to the folder of ePSXe 1.5.2) and MAKE SURE you're running FF9 in ePSXE 1.5.2.
4) Wait out some slow FMV and make another save state in the same fashion as before after the glitch point passes.
5) Move the newly made save state BACK to the 1.6.0 folder
6) Load it back up in 1.6.0 - now AHEAD of the glitch - and walla!

Hopefully that works for you... :)

M.H.A.Q.S.

Great solution GG.
I was just searching around the compatibility library for FFIX, while you answered.

For FFIX Users:
* It is recommended to play this game using the old version of epsxe.

* For the sake of completeness battle transitions are switched on. If this is too slow on your pc, you can switch them off by setting the framebuffer textures to 1 or less.

* This is a Multi-CD Game. Do NOT USE savestates otherwise your progress may be lost.

* Pal users only. This version of the game is copy protected. In order to play this game you need to either:
a) Download the ppf patch from
http://www.ngemu.com/psx/misc.php?action=ppf and place into your patches folder.
B) use subchannel reading. Nb// requires a compatible cd drive and either internal or peops cdr plugins to be selected manually.

I hope this works out for many users out there. I suggest that GG and some other users who have more experience in epsxe or psx emulation work out a tutotrial or a compatibility guide thread and make it a sticky.

Kether

to me happend the same crash at same part of the game but i followed "Guitar Gamers" tip and all turn out very well, besides the emulation of this game in the epsx in near perfect i was crazy and mad trying o get the game to work "i tried some nut things but nothing worked" jejejeje ff9 is a grate ff and rpg

thanks "Guitar Gamer" for the hint, it worked perferct in my case and hopefully on the other guys as well

hagbard

The PAL versions (they are language depending too) patches are only needed on either of these situations:

A - You want to play the original pressed FFFIX CDs on a PC emulator, using the autopatch capability of ePSXe.

B - You're gonna play FFIX burnt CD backups on a real PSX. You need to apply the correct patches before burning of course

MyriamD

(Oops, nevermind, I made a post but I just did use a memcard thing to load up in the beginning part of the fix. That was dumb. Bye-bye!)

Last edited:

Kt Kisu

Ok.. Could someone help me out?? ^_^'
I got the ISO from emuparadise.org for this game.
Everything runs smoothly and works great, but.. there's one problem.
The MP and HP bars won't show during a fight, nor will the thing pop up that you choose your attacks from...
Help!!

Mystic

Banned
First of all, next time you should make your own thread instead of reviving a dead one. Next, downloading the game is illegal, dump your own ISO from your own disc with PowerISo . Lastly, what graphics plug in are you using? If it's Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9 then you need to check the box at the bottom that says "Special game fixes"