Make your own Xbox to USB addaptor

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Did anyone know this? or try is and can report its successful?

All ya need are basic soldering skills and a few parts. If your xbox pad has one of those break away connectors, all you need is an xbox extension cable and a cheap usb mouse (to salvage the cable from. it's cheaper then buying an actual cable). Strip the cables, match up the wires, install xbcd, and there ya go. I made one to use for my beat pad pro and it works perfectly.
- I mean I know the xbox is nothing more the a min i computer, but dd they make it that easy?

Last edited:

onewecallgod

Yeah, it really is that easy. The controllers for Xbox and 360 are nothing more than ordinary USB devices.

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
::Slightly Off Topic::

Is there anyway to use the wireless 360 controllers on a wireless laptop without having to buy that wireless adapter for the PC?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
::Slightly Off Topic::

Is there anyway to use the wireless 360 controllers on a wireless laptop without having to buy that wireless adapter for the PC?

10 to one says its just a usb device to rf, so yes you could open it and install a usb cable. You could keep the rf in tack and by passing it would not cause any harm. Is the controller for the 360 different from the xbox I ? If so I may be looking in to this my self.

and Given the fact its Microsoft you know they did it cheap, so its most likly the same controller with a little rf send unit in side.

blueshogun96

The Old Kid
10 to one says its just a usb device to rf, so yes you could open it and install a usb cable. You could keep the rf in tack and by passing it would not cause any harm. Is the controller for the 360 different from the xbox I ? If so I may be looking in to this my self.

and Given the fact its Microsoft you know they did it cheap, so its most likly the same controller with a little rf send unit in side.

They are both USB devices (Xbox1 uses USB 1.1, and 360 uses 2.0), but the Device ID's are undoubtedly different.

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
blueshogin96 you sound like you know alot about the hardware side of the Xbox and Xbox 360. Do you think it would be possible to use a Wireless 360 controller on a laptop wirelessly, maybe through a hardware modification?

The only offical way requires a usb adaptor to get it to run. But it seems silly buying a wireless adaptor to connect a wireless controller to a wireless laptop.

blueshogun96

The Old Kid
Yeah, I do agree it does sound rather silly.

I don't really know a whole lot about 360's hardware, but Xbox1 is a different story. I'm not sure how to do that but it would be great to know. I don't know much about how wireless devices work :( maybe someone at Xbox Scene might have some ideas.

onewecallgod

IIRC, the 360 wireless controller runs at 2.4ghz, but aren't 802.11 or Bluetooth protocols.

insanemaniak

This User Is Insane
Stupid idea but...

You know that slot for a microphone? Couldn't you just buy a microphone see what components are inside and buy a usb cable and make your own connection for it (which fits into the xbox slot) then join the cable and connector together?

I know it's weird since like the microphone runs off a totally different cable compared to a usb cable but couldn't you change what wires are inside the connector to match the wires inside the usb cable?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
insanemaniak, I think your talking apples here, and we are on oranges. But let me get what you mean..

First off a mic jack is 2 or 3 wires and holds analog data. A usb cable has 4 data + and - and +5 volts and ground. Now.. you could use a mic jack aka phono jack to transfer usb data, but you one cable shy.. Now if your suggesting getting data off of a phono jack on a 360 controller then the answer is no.. I dont however know what jack your referring to.

If this jack is more the 3 wires it may be possible to use it for a cable, but the mic part woudl be no good since it now has data on it.. It would be a lot easier to install your own cable.

No questions are stupid.. Only those that think they know all the answer are stupid ;')

Last edited:

insanemaniak

This User Is Insane
I was refering to the microphone as a example, i wasn't saying use the microphone as a connector, i said (I Quote) ''see what components are inside and buy a usb cable and make your own connection for it.'' I ment like build your own connection hub to the xbox 360 joypad by using the microphone as a outline and then add your own components in the microphone with the relevent data on it that connects with the usb and works as a link? Or just make an entirely new connection which fits into the xbox 360 controller but of your own design that also connects to a usb cable therefore connecting to a computer?

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
insanemaniak, it was not 100% clear what you were suggesting and as I stated..
you could use a mic jack aka phono jack to transfer usb data, but you one cable shy..

so if you meant..
I ment like build your own connection hub to the xbox 360 joypad by using the microphone as a outline and then add your own components
as you retorted. then again " as a outline" I take as you mean use the "mic" jack as a cable out. Again this is totally cool, I get cha' but your missing a cable if its a standard mic out. Now again I dont know what type of cable it is.. But to answer you question..

Or just make an entirely new connection which fits into the xbox 360 controller but of your own design that also connects to a usb cable therefore connecting to a computer?
Yes you can... as I said.. a few posts back..

- So yes I would personally suggest a new cable and keep every thing intact. Now here is the trick. The joystick by default transfers RF singles to a receiver. But As I said, I think Micro$oft most likely took the cheep way out and just used a usb RF generator. And if my guess is correct, bingo you don't even need any addition hardware. If on the other hand it is not usb ready, then you would need to either make a RF receiver to usb, NOT HARD... (and they already exist) then write software (aka drivers) to convert that to HID complaint or use a programmable rom and convert it in the game pad. Eith way, its possible given its not encoded.

Some one on this board also stated they plan to make there next joystick usb and ditch the wireless. If this rumor is true then my first though will fly....

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
blueshogin96 you sound like you know alot about the hardware side of the Xbox and Xbox 360. Do you think it would be possible to use a Wireless 360 controller on a laptop wirelessly, maybe through a hardware modification?

The only offical way requires a usb adaptor to get it to run. But it seems silly buying a wireless adaptor to connect a wireless controller to a wireless laptop.
- sorry TchuBacha I didn't quite understand what you were asking. I do now.. I saw this adapter the other night at my friends house. So what you are asking is can it be used with the wireless Ethernet port (wifi)? If so I know the xbox 360 uses WiFi but the wifi card is a totally different protocol. Is it possible, yes. easy . I don't think so. We would need to get an open source SDK for wifi or a know package and write some code. I still think its encrypted though...

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
And for those without the wired controller or knowing how to get one by itself ^(o_o)v . How do you hook up a Wireless controller to PC? Do you have to buy anything special to do so?
You need to create the adapter for that, so far there is nothing out there that does this. I'm planning on attemting this on a few wireless controllers.