Music defining who you are...

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
Does the music you listen to define who you are? Lets see, maybe be older then most, I listen to Golden Earring, Foreigner, The cars, & Sniff N' The Tears. Classic rock maybe... Guess it makes me easy-going/mature? Not a good example enough? Lets try a friend of mine.... the opposite - An Aussie suffer dude: likes Heavy Metal bands. Guess he's the party/immature type, eh?

Maybe it does or maybe not, but hey, lets give it a try and see... ;)

ubr

NPC GM Pilot
I like new age, lounge, and instrumentalia (especially bgm :) ) so that's make me a calm and loner person :D

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
I like new age, lounge, and instrumentalia (especially bgm ) so that's make me a calm and loner person

Nah, it makes you detail oriented and appreciative of the world around you. It's a great quality pal. ;)

Don't mind claming types of music, not just classic rock day in and day out, sometimes classical music is nice or even native flute...

Last edited:

AnAutisticDog

Such Coin. Many Doge.
I like Death Metal. Grindcore, 90s Rap, Rapcore, DeathCore.

Bands- Lamb of God

Job For a Cowboy

BloodSimple

KillWhitneyDead

Disgorge

Devourment

Arch Enemy

N.W.A.

Public Enemy
and alot more

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
I like Death Metal. Grindcore, 90s Rap, Rapcore, DeathCore.

Guess it makes ya proactive and artistic. ;)
Too much noise for me, but don't mind trying something new here and there... :)

I like other bands once in a while, probably forgot to mention a few, Tom Petty, Def Leppard, The Eagles, White snake, & maybe even The Beatles. Hey, some days I might crack up some disco era stuff: KC, Bee gees, etc. can't remember all of them off hand right now. Depends on what mood I'm in at the moment. Only live once, might as well experience it, and no... not talking about drugs and alcohol folks, just harmless stuff. ;)

Zach

I'm not really sure if my musical tastes define me.. As I am very hard to figure out as it is.. I listen to a broad range of music, having personal favorites at certain ages..

Classic Rock from late 70's/80's / pop 80's definitely. The only band I've collected more than one CD for is Van Halen tho.. Usually I like just a few songs of any group here and there, and a lot of top 100 singles, etc.. Also like a few Jimmi Hendrix songs. Fleetwood Mac, etc.

Blondie, Van Halen, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, The Alan Parsons Project, The Cars, Genesis, Men at Work (box art for Cargo was cool whenI was little), KISS. The Bengals, Electric Light Orchestra (E.L.O), some Madonna, Styx.

Some early/mid 90's rap, a lot I grew up with liking at the time and keep around because it is sentimental to me. Snoop Doggy Dog, Cypress Hill, Wu Tang Clan, Kriss Kross, Bone Thugs 'N Harmony, Queen Latifa, a couple early 2Pac songs, Beastie Boys (kind of hard to categorize them, lol), Onyx. 69 Boys

Some 90's Alternative /mainstream rock/ 90s pop/misc Mostly what I listened to through my teens... God my sister had a HUGE collection, can't even remember all her shit.. didn't like much tho..

Offspring, Silverchair, Garbage, Green Day, Ace of Base, Real McCoy, White Town, Rage Against the Machine, a few songs from Bush - KoRn.. Fear Factory, KMFDM, Junkie XL Gravity Kills... Weezer. There are a few others but I can't recall them at the moment for some reason..

I used to hate my dads shit when I was a kid.. Then when I turned 18 it became another story. Still teases me about the "coon tunes/rap crap" though, lol.

I got into most of my 90's tastes as a teen because that was "the cool stuff to listen to" my sisters good looking friends listened to it, it had lots of guitars and sounded "heavy" and all thaT.. I was one of those quiet, serious, play it loud, dark depressing kind of people then I guess.. Plus I had a very rough childhood & adolescence, so I guess I comformed to the mold...lol I think they call that shit "emo" these days... Thankfully we didn't have the gay hair and makeup back then.. I dressed more like a grunge kid would.. unkempt hair, loose (but not black ass hanging down my ankles) baggy jeans and shirt, with flanel... I had one flanel shirt I always wore.. it was perfect, not heavy at all but kept me warm. It was long, and long sleeved, and I wore it everywhere like an over-shirt or over-coat of sorts Went great whether I had on jeans or khakis.

I stopped listening to most of the new shit in those categories after the 90's ended.. I hate music today with very few exceptions. It's all crap.. manufactured horse shit made to sell CD's and tickets to little whorey teeny boppers and their whored out mothers who had them when they were only 15 or whatever.

Right now I am heavy into Electronic music I guess.. Not totally into the mainstream Euro-shit or the happy feel good type stuff.. But I listen to many of the channels on DI.FM. I also listen to a lot of MODs ("computer music") and sids.. I have extensive MOD and SID collections spanning many gigabytes each. I also have a lot of old school game music dumps & rips.. NES, SNES, Genesis, Arcade games, PlayStation, etc..

As far as pure electronic goes.. I listen to Trance, Goa-Trance (I think what its called), techno, epic trance, hard dance... I just stay away from the totally happy dance/feel good mainsteam sounding shit. I like long repetitive riffs based on lower notes, and strings, and various cool sounding KEYS that aren't the standard you hear in every song.

I actually have copies of Fruity Loops Studio, Cakewalk Project 5 version 2, Orion Platinum (almost bought Plat a few times.. great and easy to learn/use), tons of sample libraries from professional quality shit, to sound font and wave packs.. I've tried real hard to get serious because I have a lot of ideas in my heads that I know would turn into GREAT songs if I could just GET THEM OUT and into the tracker.. However no matter how hard I've tried with my limited free time I can't seen to develop a "knack" for holding rhythm and memorizing note pitches so I can rapidly create good sounding stuff.. As a result I compose slow and have to play around with key assignments one note at a time and by then I've lost the idea or pattern I was going for and I'm back at the beginning...

I have thought about buying a MIDI keyboard and maybe trying to learn to plays the keys, through piano lessons first and then expanding.. But I can't bring myself to it, partly because I don't want to go through the effort and still fail, and partly because if I do fail I don't want to have blown a ton of cash. If I knew it would turn out well and I could do it, I'd put some money down for it, cause then I have the potential to make that money back... but I digress..

Lastly, I have always loved game music..and that's what finally pushed me over into the mainstream electronic music.. However nothing can replace the primitive gurgles, beeps, boops, clicks, punches, and other classic game/synth music sounds, especially the Commodore 64's SID chip.. C64 & various gameboys have some of the SWEETEST arpeggios & other unique sounds you just won't find on other hardware. Part of my goal in getting into Softsynth tracking programs was to remix game tunes in my own visions, and do original songs on plugins based on the old chip tech, and also mixing the old and new sounds together to make more cool sounding stuff.

That about covers my relationship with music..

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
Zach said:
I stopped listening to most of the new shit in those categories after the 90's ended.. I hate music today with very few exceptions. It's all crap...

Have to agree with ya, music these days is not the same. Since the mid 90s, rock went to hell and out came the garbage they call these days "pop". Even returning bands are crawling out of their holes and "dying", might as well stayed gone...

Zach said:
I have thought about buying a MIDI keyboard and maybe trying to learn to plays the keys, through piano lessons first and then expanding.. But I can't bring myself to it, partly because I don't want to go through the effort and still fail, and partly because if I do fail I don't want to have blown a ton of cash. If I knew it would turn out well and I could do it, I'd put some money down for it, cause then I have the potential to make that money back... but I digress..

Go for it pal, ya only live once. ;) Sounds like you have a knack for tunes... A friend gave me a guitar one day and actually sat down to play around with it and almost started an actual rock band the next week. Unfortunately, the friend died and burnt my hands badly in a car accident some time afterwards... Hard to play with sensitive hands there... But also stopped in memory of my friend, he was part of the band (drums) so down the toilet that went...

Zach said:
Lastly, I have always loved game music..and that's what finally pushed me over into the mainstream electronic music.. However nothing can replace the primitive gurgles, beeps, boops, clicks, punches, and other classic game/synth music sounds, especially the Commodore 64's SID chip.. C64 & various gameboys have some of the SWEETEST arpeggios & other unique sounds you just won't find on other hardware. Part of my goal in getting into Softsynth tracking programs was to remix game tunes in my own visions, and do original songs on plugins based on the old chip tech, and also mixing the old and new sounds together to make more cool sounding stuff.

You too, heh? Must been cause of that age where game music first made appearance. Though that "beep", "bump" & "sirens" of Pacman made me addicted... Namco's "drug" to lure us in.. :p The SNES had some really great tracks, ones to jack up to a subwoofer with, even though the game may sucked... It had those hard core mids that doesn't even compare too it to today's consols...

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
Zach said:
I hate music today with very few exceptions. It's all crap.. manufactured horse shit made to sell CD's and tickets to little whorey teeny boppers and their whored out mothers who had them when they were only 15 or whatever.

For some reason didn't see this from your nice letter... It's society pal, the bad example set by the parents "our generation". Yes, that's right. I'm not going to single out women here, since I grew up always respecting women, though don't get me wrong, can be part of the "problem" also. The woman are leaving the Man and the Men are leaving the Woman, and guess what, one of them is stuck with a responsibility to raise someone whom will be part of the next generation, one whom will run or may lead our future world... this is a heavy burden for one person, so if they are difficult to raise, there becomes another problem, another irresponsible person in the world, all because "one" won't take responsibility on their end. This all comes down to the "almighty dollar", both sides fighting in court down the line to gain money from the other. If one wins the kids, they get more money, even not having best of interests, and the sacrifice the one whom did before, loses out. Our generation is crap and we're setting the bad example, the future generation. Don't want to argue about this since we could go way off topic here, though you may have a different option, just don't like the comment, because it takes "two" to tangle. Just remember that, and not arguing with you, but "people" and their "irresponsibility" are the "problem" for the world going to $hit, if you know what I mean.

Zach

I know what you're saying, and that is true mostly. But also I look at it from the standpoint of having grown up around and watch various girls act.. These teens get a kid and they're like "aww look at my kid isn't he cute!" but don't really consider the dirty work involved.

Most wise up and try to do their best when that sinks in, of course. But I kind of have to blame them for having their kid in the first place, if they weren't ready. Ultimately they have the power to say "no", or at least use protection. Not really trying to bash a particular group, it's just that I am the type who analyzes and sees black and white, hard facts, etc.. I just have a problem feeling sorry for girls who dance and bump & grind like whores with the whole simulated sex deal that emerged from the later half of the 90s, and then act like they the coolest new toy doll, in respect to their kid, only to whine when they are hit with the harshness of reality.

I know plenty of deadbeat dads too. It does take two to raise a family, and I'm sure we can both agree that no matter how the family got started, both are equally at fault. Society doesn't care about personal responsibility anymore it seems, which has contributed greatly to this mess. I respect women also, so don't misunderstand; I just don't spare the rod in this case.

My best friends son just turned 1 this year. It makes me happy to hear that he is there for his kid, and I know him and his g/f do love each other as she's lived w/him and the rest of his family for years now. He has turned down some chances at big money to stay at home and be with his kid, as he told me, he knows what it's like to grow up without a dad and he didn't want that to happen to his son.

I was surprised it didn't happen sooner though, as both his sisters had at least one of their children before they were 18. Ones a total mess and doesn't really take care of her kids like she could, the other is very smart and intelligent, though she has her own issues.. But she has her own place w/some help from the county, she's gone through college to be an accountant and she loves her kids to death.

It can be interested to step back and watch society revolve daily, while you just observe. Myself, I had sex once when I was 14, with some total whore, didn't really see the big deal and I prefer to wait if necesarry.

Last edited:

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
Zach said:
Most wise up and try to do their best when that sinks in, of course. But I kind of have to blame them for having their kid in the first place, if they weren't ready. Ultimately they have the power to say "no", or at least use protection. Not really trying to bash a particular group, it's just that I am the type who analyzes and sees black and white, hard facts, etc..

I just have a problem feeling sorry for girls who dance and bump & grind like whores with the whole simulated sex deal that emerged from the later half of the 90s, and then act like they the coolest new toy doll, in respect to their kid, only to whine when they are hit with the harshness of reality.

Well, it's fine to have your own opinion, as for me, I see everyone as "individuals" then black or white nor male or female, everyone makes mistakes, but those whom choose to correct it and take responsibility, are the ones I respect.

Yeah, I know what you are talking about, it's a big turn off for me: Women "showing it" off, making their gender basically "idols" instead of standing up for what is right, and puts them into a bad situation because their irresponsible, thus making a bad "rep" for all Women. I'm a family-one-women man, thou not married yet, but believe Women are capable of anything, just like Men, and not defenseless because they are female, as people say: the weaker half, which is bull$hit and an excuse.

Zach said:
I know plenty of deadbeat dads too. It does take two to raise a family, and I'm sure we can both agree that no matter how the family got started, both are equally at fault. Society doesn't care about personal responsibility anymore it seems, which has contributed greatly to this mess.

I respect women also, so don't misunderstand; I just don't spare the rod in this case..

Your right, society doesn't give a crap about moral values, just making a buck here and there, why our world is the way it is.

That's fine, like I said, your opinion is different or maybe I just read it wrong, but not arguing with ya, just making a point.

Zach said:
It can be interested to step back and watch society revolve daily, while you just observe. Myself, I had sex once when I was 14, with some total whore, didn't really see the big deal and I prefer to wait if necesarry.

Well, I'm pushing 30 here, I didn't just sit back and observe, I experienced it, and not by my choice. Everyone dumps their responsibly on me, though don't mind helping, but more then once is frustrating. I dealt with things that I don't even want to talk about, so I see how the world is, not everyone has good intentions, even though I may.

Now we can go into a huge detail about society and the crap that goes on, but not going to, another whole topic for that, but other then that, let's go back on subject here. ;)

My best friends son just turned 1 this year. It makes me happy to hear that he is there for his kid, and I know him and his g/f do love each other as she's lived w/him and the rest of his family for years now. He has turned down some chances at big money to stay at home and be with his kid, as he told me, he knows what it's like to grow up without a dad and he didn't want that to happen to his son.