What does your forum nick mean?

ShadowWarrior

Hi everyone...
I am curious to as how everyone got their nicks on this site.

My alias is just a translation from Kagemusha, in which I use on another site (www.cdos.org). I got that name from a movie by Akira Kurosawa (is that it? too lazy to check if it is). I didn't take the alias directly from the title of the movie exactly, but more so encouraged to take it because of the concept of the movie. It's a good older movie. If you like his films, check out "Ran" and "Heaven and Earth".

That's it, so how about you?

S

Spike

i came here when i was about 16, 17? i dunno...anyways spike was just some character i made up in my head from my childhood. no real story i guess...

Guitar Gamer

Well - I've had this nick-name on these forums for quite a long time. There's some gaps... but for the most part it's been Guitar Gamer. It's just a name stating some things I like to do. I guess a more clever name would make me seem intelligent but I was to lazy to be clever when I made it. *laughs* :lol:

4thdisciple1.jpg

El Fugitivo

Originally posted by ShadowWarrior@Jul 29 2004, 07:35 PM
Hi everyone...
I am curious to as how everyone got their nicks on this site.

My alias is just a translation from Kagemusha, in which I use on another site (www.cdos.org). I got that name from a movie by Akira Kurosawa (is that it? too lazy to check if it is). I didn't take the alias directly from the title of the movie exactly, but more so encouraged to take it because of the concept of the movie. It's a good older movie. If you like his films, check out "Ran" and "Heaven and Earth".

That's it, so how about you?
FYI, Heaven & Earth is generally known as High & Low in English-speaking countries. Heaven & Earth is (I believe) a more literal translation, and probably the English subtitle in Japan, but here in the states the film has only ever been called High & Low.

Unless you're talking about Oliver Stone's Vietnam film with Tommy Lee Jones. Which I doubt highly.

And Sanjuro and Yojimbo are almost certainly better introductions to Kurosawa's work. Or the more obvious Seven Samurai.

Mourgos

Mourgos is a greek word translated into sth between punk,dude,rough,harsh...imagine all these together.There isn't an accurate translation of that word in english really so it may be futile to try and explain it further...
Anyway I used to call my dog that name,and when I was around 16 I started using it as a nick in many forums,so it remained...

ShadowWarrior

Originally posted by El Fugitivo@Jul 29 2004, 07:35 PM

FYI, Heaven & Earth is generally known as High & Low in English-speaking countries. Heaven & Earth is (I believe) a more literal translation, and probably the English subtitle in Japan, but here in the states the film has only ever been called High & Low.

Unless you're talking about Oliver Stone's Vietnam film with Tommy Lee Jones. Which I doubt highly.

And Sanjuro and Yojimbo are almost certainly better introductions to Kurosawa's work. Or the more obvious Seven Samurai.
Although Heaven & Earth is known as High and Low in the US, it is still called Heaven & Earth as the actual name. The reason for this is sky known as "Teen" in Cantonese or Mandarin is mostly referred to as Heaven, and "Dey" is mostly referred to as Earth.

Though the movie is based around ancient Japanese society, the language reference is still the same.

So if you have ever watched Hero, the direct translation of "Teen Ha" is Sky Low, but the actual meaning is "All Under Heaven".

IMO obviously, I still prefer to watch/own Heaven & Earth IF I had to choose between that and Seven Samurai. SS has it's personal moments, and it's on a more personal level which has a different context than that of H&E, but I like the ideal and concept of H&E more than in SS.

El Fugitivo

We must be talking about two seperate films.

Ah, I know what it is. I was confusing Heaven & Earth with Heaven & Hell, the literal translation of High & Low, Kurosawa's film based on Ed McBain's novel "King's Ransom". It's about a wealthy man whose son is kidnapped, but after the kidnappers ask for the ransom, the son returns and the man realizes the kidnapped child is his chauffuer's son. The kidnappers also realize their mistake, but demand the same enormous ransom they had asked for the wealthy man's child. Basically, the film deals with the price of a human life, and whether that price is the same for all humans.

Edit: I guess what you're talking about is some Hong Kong crime film with Andy Lau? Never heard of it. I've seen Andy Lau, but only in Fulltime Killer (probably the least favorite of the 6 HK action films I've seen, though the other 5 were all John Woo flicks, so that would be hard to top). He's also in Days Of Being Wild, apparently, which is on my to-see list.

Edit 2: I've heard the Internal Affairs series is good, as well.

belmont

I think everyone knows the Belmont clan a family destined to fight Count Dracula forever...

I am a big Castlevania fan !!

ShadowWarrior

Originally posted by El Fugitivo@Jul 31 2004, 03:29 AM
We must be talking about two seperate films.

Ah, I know what it is. I was confusing Heaven & Earth with Heaven & Hell, the literal translation of High & Low, Kurosawa's film based on Ed McBain's novel "King's Ransom". It's about a wealthy man whose son is kidnapped, but after the kidnappers ask for the ransom, the son returns and the man realizes the kidnapped child is his chauffuer's son. The kidnappers also realize their mistake, but demand the same enormous ransom they had asked for the wealthy man's child. Basically, the film deals with the price of a human life, and whether that price is the same for all humans.

Edit: I guess what you're talking about is some Hong Kong crime film with Andy Lau? Never heard of it. I've seen Andy Lau, but only in Fulltime Killer (probably the least favorite of the 6 HK action films I've seen, though the other 5 were all John Woo flicks, so that would be hard to top). He's also in Days Of Being Wild, apparently, which is on my to-see list.

Edit 2: I've heard the Internal Affairs series is good, as well.
Ack! I got it wrong... [lowers head in shame]

I mean, the director of the movie is Haruki Kadokawa. The movie is about Takeda Shingen versus Uesugi Kenshin - two feudal warlords during the 15th century in Japan. Lord Takeda wanted to conquer Japan and take the capital for his own, and Lord Uesugi wanted only to protect his province.

Anyway, sorry about the confusion... 8]

"Hero" is a more recent movie directed by Zhang Yimou from Shanghai I think. It's about a warrior who has trained most of his life to take revenge on the King of Qin, because he had killed his parents when he was only a little boy.

Another movie that you might want to take a look at is The Emperor and the Assassin, directed by Chen KaiGe. It revolves around three main characters - Qin Shi Huang, the King of Qin who wants to and will conquer the Six Kingdoms; the assassin who falls in love with King Qin's wife, and the wife herself.

Belmont - I like the Castlevania games too, but the one for N64 was really weird - the controls I mean... 8/

El Fugitivo

I'm familiar with Hero, and from what I've heard it's much more dramatic, subtler, and just generally better than the action film the trailer makes it out to be. If you're in China, I'd recommend NOT purchasing the new HK extended version. Apparently, it's not very good.

Badger

tr.v. badg-er, badg·ered, badg·er·ing, badg·ers
To harass or pester persistently. See Synonyms at harass