Sony-BMG Wins: Defendant must pay $9,250 per song

cibomatto2002

Windows 10
The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) won the first of many digital music file sharing cases Thursday against a single mother, with a U.S. jury finding her guilty of copyright infringement and fining her a total of $222,000.
On this topic
Pirate Bay hopes for action by Swedish police
Shutdown of eDonkey servers may be short-lived
Vista pirates safe from darkness, for now
Integrate or Consolidate? Real World Strategies for Next Generation IT Operations Management
Managing Operational Change through ITIL and a CMDB
Hands-on Customer Support: Improve productivity and customer satisfaction through the power and simplicity of show and tell
The Business of Online Support: Achieving Your Competitive Support Advantage
Get practical tips, IT news, how-tos, and the best in tech humor.

The U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota could have fined Jammie Thomas as much as $3.6 million, but opted not to. She was found guilty of stealing and giving away via Internet peer-to-peer Internet file-sharing service Kazaa a total of 24 songs from companies including Capitol Records Inc., Sony BMG Music Entertainment and Warner Bros. Records Inc.

Read more here. :D

http://www.itworld.com/Man/2683/071005riaaguilty/

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
Please read before copy-pasting ;)
I appreciate the news, but I would rather have you check it first.

Zach

I like how they randomly throw in she's Native American.... as if that somehow matters.

I don't feel one bit sorry for people who get caught doing it... It's against the law and they know it is. The intention has always been to get free music, and I am willing to bet only a VERY small number of people can hide behind the whole "try before you buy" BS defense.

Last edited:

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
I like how they randomly throw in she's Native American.... as if that somehow matters.

I don't feel one bit sorry for people who get caught doing it... It's against the law and they know it is. The intention has always been to get free music, and I am willing to bet only a VERY small number of people can hide behind the whole "try before you buy" BS defense.

Don't forget the "I thought it was linux", "It must of been a virus that did it" and "It's illegal to download music??" excuses.

Spellsong

Gray Mage
Well it will still be messed up if the person cannot afford the damn bill. Kinda reminds me of the idea of someone committing suicide over not being able to pay a debit to the mafia or something like that. Pisses me off that the RIAA are going after small fish like that. Scaremongering.