psx emulation help

pinkbandit

is there anything to view jpg pics on your playstation. a program or something. i have a modchip but ive been wanting to view photos on it.

Guitar Gamer

Hmm.. that's a good question actually.

I commonly use a program for making screen shots called 'PSX Multi Converter' (aka PSXMulti). It can extract the FMVs, some sounds and also textures, which must be in some image format. Maybe looking into that program may be a good start. I doubt there's a simple answer to your question unfortunately. Google "PSXMulti" and read up.

Now - I must ponder upon the quest for PSX JPEG goodness. ;) :)

pinkbandit

cool cool cool. i got that program. after tweaking around i got the dragon ball gt intro movie and converteted to an avi file. though i have no idea how to take screenshots.

Guitar Gamer

Well, the best I've used has to be 'SnagIt 6'. It automatically saves your screenshots and lets you go nuts while you take them. It's highly configurable. I recommend it. I have approx. 4000 nice screenshots of every FMV in FF 7 and 8 which I made with SnagIt and PSXMulti. Believe me - it took a while... :)

pinkbandit

i used snagit way back like a year ago. i didnt have a clue on how to use it. has it gotten easier to use. i think i remember why i stopped using that, dont you have to buy it.

Guitar Gamer

Yes - it's not free... for most people ;)

It is a bit hard to use but I bet I can tell you what you needed to do. You have to switch to Direct-X capture to get the FMVs to actually show up in the shots instead of odd black space. Any other capture mode won't produce results. Once you do that you just need to set a hotkey for capturing, change your capture format (JPEG) and quality and a destination folder and naming scheme. After that you're pretty much good to go. :)

pinkbandit

uh huh, wats a derict x and wats an fmv again. anyways if you can change a str to an avi cant you vise versa, that would be cool.

Guitar Gamer

Direct-X is like a way of rendering graphics on your PC. I guess you could call it an interpreter which displays your games and such differently then say - OpenGL. Chances are that you have Direct-X on your PC.

An FMV is a term used to label the high quality "cinema" like cut scenes in PS1/2 games. A STR. file is essentially and FMV (Full Motion Video)

pinkbandit

oh. oh yaeah my modchip is an externil. it has this feature thats called "cd-rom" it lets me go in the disc files and view them. but the only thing that you can open is the movies and i think music. i accedently ruind the ending of parasite eve by viewing the last cutcene. is there a file that the ps can read so i just can go in the cdrom and view them?

M.H.A.Q.S.

is there anything to view jpg pics on your playstation. a program or something. i have a modchip but ive been wanting to view photos on it.

Don't you mean that you want to view the JPGs on the PS?

M.H.A.Q.S.

Yeah, you may be unable to view JPGs on the PS. There are some ways to do that but leave that aside. You need a program to convert the avi's to str. Search the old PSX website's like zophar.net and others. You'll be able to find kits that enable you to view STR's on the PS. Good Luck.