I am the newest person here can some one help?!

:huh: I'm so new and I would like to know what emulators are but i have only played onld ones and i would like to no how to get the new ones to work and what roms are?

nesman

Emulators are programs that enable your computer to run a video game console. There are many kinds of emulators. ROMS (read-only memory) are the files that store a game. ROMS pretain only to cartridge based systems. A PSX doesn't use cartridges but CDs. So a game file for the PSX (or any other CD based system) is called a ISO or CD image. But don't ask for ROMS or ISOS here, they are ILLEGAL unless you own the original game.

This is a pretty basic explanation of what emulators are and what is their purpose. I know a lot about emulators, but it's too much stuff to type :p

Guitar Gamer

And as for getting the new "next gen" type ones to work... here's a brief run down of which consoles can be emulated well and which cannot:

Thumbs Up:
- Nintendo 64
- Playstation 1
- Gameboy Advance

Thumbs Down (not worth trying yet exactly):
- Gamecube
- Playstation 2
- XBox

Thumbs In-the-Middle (if it floats your variably sized boat):
- DreamCast

Everything which comes chronologically before those emulators can be assumed to work well such as NES, SNES or Gameboy.

Now, all you have to do is pick one you're interested in - get the neccessary programs (from Emulator Zone of course) and configure everything to your PC's best performance options. Oh yes and you need the games. But we can't tell you where to get those as nesman stated.

If you need more help after you've decided on where to start feel to free to post another thread in the appropriate forum with your problem. We'd be happy to help out. :)

Guitar Gamer

Well I'd rather be a nerd who knows something about respect then someone who can't even comprehend, nevermind read, a handful of simple rules.

We don't need that attitude around here.

onewecallgod

Originally posted by Guitar Gamer@Aug 5 2004, 01:35 AM
Well I'd rather be a nerd who knows something about respect then someone who can't even comprehend, nevermind read, a handful of simple rules.

We don't need that attitude around here.
well said. ban finger is getting mighty itchy