Uptade snes emulator

taipion

I noticed the main site doesn't have BSNES on there, it is a little different for other emulators. It has no save feature for starters.

"The purpose of the emulator is a bit different from other emulators: it focuses on accuracy, debugging functionality, and clean code."

http://byuu.cinnamonpirate.com/

skullpeng

Shoenin
yay first one 2 post ^_^. so whats the point of that emu if it wont save? well maybe its just me but if u think its a good snes emu... THEN UR CRAZY!!! a good snes emu is ZSNES.

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
yay first one 2 post ^_^. so whats the point of that emu if it wont save? well maybe its just me but if u think its a good snes emu... THEN UR CRAZY!!! a good snes emu is ZSNES.

I don't know whether or not you can save on BSNES, but BSNES emulates the SNES accurately. And the original SNES also didn't have a save state function... (except for battery-backup for some games)

spotanjo3

No, you cannot have a save state fuction on BSNES because BSNES emulates the SNES accurately and the original SNES also didn't have a save state so it does make a sense. :)

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Save states are not a feature, they are a debug tool, that became a feature...

when a game is running there are lots of registers being processed. Otherwise know as variables to some... these registers are stored in memory and can be put right back in memory. That along with the video buff and a few other thing is all you need to make a save state.

Q.A

Q Did the original SNES have save states..

A Yes.. How do you think they deluged it, magic?

Q can we unlock the save states on the SNES?

A no, where is it going to save to , the cartridge? ( not unless they all had batteries)

Q then what would be the point..

A It's for Development purposes not users...

Ok my point. An emulator no matter what type it is can save and read data at run time. May not be easy but its possible. The only type of emulation where you could not create a save state is the hot wire method.. That is where you build hardware converters for ever component in the system and convert on the fly to your computer.. Ok for those of you that don't know I'm being facetious.. There is not hot wire method.. But if you are program an emulator you can add a save state feature ,, Period...

As for BSNES you can see its not the most GUI friendly emulator out there, thus I'm not surprised it has no save state feature. It also is most likely to the authors discretion that one is not to be implemented as its to be an accurate emulator.. Either way it has nothing to do with the fact the original SNES didn have a way to save states..., its not like the actual bios or software is running..

Disclaimer ..

Sorry for the ran, just want to clear that up...

No offense is intended to RockmanForte or alcoatjez, they are but very helpful and cool members of this board..

Last edited:

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
No offense is intended to RockmanForte or alcoatjez, they are but very helpful and cool members of this board..

No offense taken, ulaoulao :)
It is true what you said, but the point I was trying to make is that some people are just whining about how shitty an emulator is. This is someting byuu (BSNES author) does not deserve for his hard work. That's why I gave the argument that the original system also didn't have that feature ;)

Desert Drifter

Out From Under A Rock..
Hey, we could always pop out that old SNES, hook it up to a TV, and save the argument. :p

One thing ya can't argue: The display is a lot sharper on emulation then the old fasion way. Still have the 93 version laying around in storeage. Miss those days though, friends coming over to play the rental I had for the week... Now sits with dust bunnies and turned from grey to an ugly yellow...

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
ya alcoatjez I agree ;)

he display is a lot sharper on emulation then the old fasion way
- yup and will always be, again its was designed on a pc something like 320 x 200 or possibly even written for 640 x 480. When you convert that out put to NTSC you lose quality.. Perfect example is pop in Teken 3 on a NTSC tv on PSX 1. now do flip on your fav emu and select 800x600. as the fighters fight watch there eyes.. ( they blink ) on the computer/pc not on the tv. The PSX was written for 800x600 only emulation can produce this, NTSC will never show that. Although I think PAL will..